Vitamins and herbal supplements with healthy eating

Options
I had my blood tested and it showed I have low iron and hypothyroidism. My doctor said I can take vitamins but should take iron and thyroid meds along with a healthy diet and exercise. I started taking biotin (for hair skin and nails), e, calcium with vitamin d in it, fish oil, and b complex in the morning with breakfast. Before bed I take my iron supplement because you can't take it with calcium. If I drink green tea I see a 1-2 pound difference on the scale the next day but I don't like the tast so I don't drink it that often. I've been reading that Ashwagandha is great for people with bad thyroid. What other supplements do you take and what do they do?

****no negative comments please, it seems like people troll these forums to post their negative opinions and it's very annoying. If you don't have something nice or helpful to say then keep scrolling.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to be negative :)
    You are obviously seeing good results doing what you are doing so by all means continue. I think Vitamins are definitely a good move - my boyfriend swears by them. I'm not taken ANY vitamins and really, I should be!

A lot of people mention success with green tea and whilst I don't think it actually 'causes' weight loss, it certainly has some good ingredients and it's good to stay hydrated!

My boyfriend is a regular cod liver oil taker, he won't go a day without taking these and keeps moaning at me to start taking them too! But I think that might be part of the "Fish oil" that you mentioned! :)
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im a medical student and worked in a health store that sold supplements for a while

Most supplements you do not need and will easily get from your diet.
    The only ones i would recommend are:

- of course, the iron (assuming you are deficient/anaemic) - in which case do not take it an hour either side of drinking green tea or it wont be absorbed properly. Taking it with vitamic C rich foods (eg orange juice) can help it be absorbed though
    - you could take a multivitamin if you there are numerous foods you cannot eat, but besides that theres really not a huge need for them
    - vitamin D (a lot of people are deficient)
    - calcium (you can get some with vitamin D in it too which is handy)
    - make sure you're eating foods with iodine in them if you are experiencing hypothyroidism. If theres a medical reason you are unable too, you can get it from kelp or formulated thyroid supplements
    - fish oil is still up for debate, but at least it holds up better than the claims made by krill which recently got sued for false advertising. If you are gettign enough good oils from your diet (fish, flaxseed oil etc) then you dont really need the tablets per se

They are really the only ones that you would really even contemplate having. Things like the hair skin nails ones/vitamin e, B complex etc are really just to get money, as are most that are sold in stores (which i would tell customers. Id rathr be honest than sell them crap)
    I have a range of health problems and foods i simply cannot eat and honestly these are the only ones i take, so theres no reason that people who are capable of eating fruit and veggies etc would need supplements. They are expensive and really wont give you some magical cure that food wouldnt give you anyway

I hope that helps!