Weekly meal plans?

Options
so I have heard it better to plan your meals for the week.
Today is my first day back and I would love for you to all share with me your ideas for the week, in need of some ideas and motivation.
Thanks guys.

Replies

• zinra
    zinra Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From experience, I can say that it's a bad idea! Fair enough, if you want to plan ahead for the day if you've planned your other activities with it (work, school etc.) but you never know what you'll feel like eating next Friday when it's only Monday.

If you want to have some kind of schedule, at least give yourself two or three options per meal instead of just stick to one.
  • chantyc1
    chantyc1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    zinra wrote: »
    From experience, I can say that it's a bad idea! Fair enough, if you want to plan ahead for the day if you've planned your other activities with it (work, school etc.) but you never know what you'll feel like eating next Friday when it's only Monday.

If you want to have some kind of schedule, at least give yourself two or three options per meal instead of just stick to one.

Thank you for that comment, that makes a lot of sense, just wanted to ask how you shop? Daily, weekly? And what sort of things do you buy if you have no meals planned?

If I don't do a shopping list I tend to buy rubbish and forget what I was meant to buy lol.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually plan on Friday or Saturday because that is when the sales circulars come out. I see what meats and vegetables are on sale and base my dinners around that. I usually have one or two meatless days a week also.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I like to cook so I need to figure out meals for the week to shop for the ingredients I need. I keep a lot of basics on hand but most things that I make require a few specific ingredients I don't necessarily have. So, I'm a big fan of meal-planning generally for the week but will make adjustments by the day depending on what I'm in the mood for and what I have time to make. I try to plan meals that take longer to prep for days I get home earlier. I eat the leftovers for lunches or other dinners during the week.

This week I'm making- pumpkin alfredo tortellini tonight (and will probably have leftovers of that for Wednesday lunch and maybe Thursday dinner); shrimp fajitas tomorrow; orange chicken and cauliflower fried "rice" Wednesday. I'll be away this coming weekend so that's all I'm planning for the moment, having leftovers for other lunches and dinners.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Totally disagree on this one. I've been planning my meals for the last year or two. I originally started because of budget. It's easier to plan and get an idea of what I'm going to spend on groceries. However I've also transitioned this into healthy eating and it's worked very well.
  • chantyc1
    chantyc1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I like to cook so I need to figure out meals for the week to shop for the ingredients I need. I keep a lot of basics on hand but most things that I make require a few specific ingredients I don't necessarily have. So, I'm a big fan of meal-planning generally for the week but will make adjustments by the day depending on what I'm in the mood for and what I have time to make. I try to plan meals that take longer to prep for days I get home earlier. I eat the leftovers for lunches or other dinners during the week.

This week I'm making- pumpkin alfredo tortellini tonight (and will probably have leftovers of that for Wednesday lunch and maybe Thursday dinner); shrimp fajitas tomorrow; orange chicken and cauliflower fried "rice" Wednesday. I'll be away this coming weekend so that's all I'm planning for the moment, having leftovers for other lunches and dinners.

Sounds delish, how do you make the cauliflower fried rice?
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I plan 'flexibly' - I plan what I'm having (beef/chicken casserole etc) and cook then portion off and pop in the freezer, it's there if I want it and if I change my mind it won't go off.

I ensure I have enough salad, ham, mushrooms, smoked salmon and eggs to last a few days, plus keep (ready cooked and peeled) prawns and potato farls in the freezer - these are my 'go to' food if I need something quick/easy.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I am recently married and find that planning our meals for the week has saved us money and given us plenty of left-over options for lunches. I like to make a big batch of soup or a crock pot creation on sundays and eat that during the week for lunch. I find it easier to stick with my goals if I plan ahead.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I plan 'flexibly' - I plan what I'm having (beef/chicken casserole etc) and cook then portion off and pop in the freezer, it's there if I want it and if I change my mind it won't go off.

Yep. I have plenty of individually portioned and frozen meals or components of meals that I eat depending on my taste that day. I don't have to worry about it going bad since they will last for 2-4 months.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If meal planning suits your lifestyle and current situation, it's a great help. Don't just meal plan or shop aimlessly because you think you should! A plan is supposed to be a tool, not a drag. It has to be sufficiently structured, but not too strict. You can meal plan effectively in a number of ways.

First, figure out what you have and what you need. Can you cook? Or can you learn how to cook? Do you eat out of the house regularly? Are you supposed to buy food there, or can you bring food? How is the weekly schedule for your family? What kind of budget do you have? Do any of you have allergies, aversions, unpredictable appetites? How many meals per day will you need to plan? Answers to these questions will define the outline of the plan.

To set up the plan, make a table of the days of the week. If it's just dinners, it will be just one row. Fill in meals that you like or want to try. Look at the recipes - make a list of the ingredients they call for. Check your pantry, fridge and freezer. Do you have any of those ingredients already? Cross those out. Now you have a shopping list. Take that with you.

Then to the finer details, and why some of us love meal planning: You can switch around meals as long as you have the ingredients at hand. You can exchange most ingredients if there's something that is too expensive or not available or something you don't like. You will learn how long fresh ingredients will stay fresh in the fridge, and how much is sensible to buy at once. You'll learn how to combine some of the same ingredients into different meals. You will notice when various produce is in season and how to spot a bargain. Your taste buds will evolve and you'll want to try new recipes. You'll eat healthy, cheap and delicious food every day.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    chantyc1 wrote: »
    so I have heard it better to plan your meals for the week.
    Today is my first day back and I would love for you to all share with me your ideas for the week, in need of some ideas and motivation.
    Thanks guys.

It depends on the person. I don't always meal plan, but when I do, it helps a lot. I dread hearing, "I don't know" when I ask, "What do you want for dinner tonight?".

I'll come up with weekly menus, but if we're supposed to cookout and it's pouring rain, I just switch meals to another idea. I usually meal plan Saturday through Friday. I like to grocery shop on Saturday, so if I want to prep anything for the week, I have Sunday to do it.

Here's my plan this week:

Saturday: Chicken Taquitos, Mexican corn on the cob
    Sunday: Crockpot Brown Sugar Balsamic Glazed Pork Tenderloin, squash casserole, green beans, lentil pilaf, and rolls
    Monday: Hamburgers & Hotdogs, pasta salad, broccoli salad, and baked black olive & cream cheese mushrooms
    Tuesday: Spaghetti, salad, garlic bread
    Wednesday: Apricot chicken with onions, roasted asparagus, pasta alfredo
    Thursday: Leftovers
    Friday: Pizza/Take-out night (Our favorite spot has the best pizza with baby spinach, sharp cheddar, roma tomatoes, zucchini, kalmata olives, parm & feta cheese, roasted garlic).

If you need ideas, get a pinterest account. They have tons of ideas!

Good luck!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    chantyc1 wrote: »
    Sounds delish, how do you make the cauliflower fried rice?

I use this recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html

You can add whatever other ingredients you like. I usually put shelled edamame in mine.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I do a weekly menu plan. We always have a baked potato night, pizza night, and a meatless meal. Then I find different recipes on pinterest or blogs to fill in the rest of the days. I can't eat based on "feeling" that's how I got where I am. My menu plan is completely flexible, and I can make anything from my plan on any day that week. Sometimes you just have to make dinner, and there's a planned dinner to make, so it's better than drive thru or take out.
    Tonight is Crock-Pot Roast
    And in the freezer is Creamy italian chicken, Pork roast, sloppy joes, herb roashed chicken thighs, Tomato Parmesan chicken, and a few other things. I crank out 10 meals every other Sunday and store them in the freezer. Add a salad or steamable vegetable and BAM! Dinner is served.
    Lunches are leftovers or salads and Breakfast is greek yogurt with berries or waffles with pb and a banana.

http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2014/05/12/ten-freezer-meals-in-one-hour/

or check out emeals.com

Once you learn how to meal plan, it's a lot easier to do it on your own!