Losing weight after pregnancy - what do you consider your starting weight?

Options
I know I was 216 while pregnant, now I'm down to 140, but due to the weight of the baby and fluids I feel like saying that I've lost 76 pounds since I've started my health and fitness journey isn't completely accurate. So I'm just wondering what other mothers consider to be their starting weight? Not a big deal, but I feel a little guilty claiming it. :'(

Replies

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You lost 76 pounds of fluid and baby? The fluids and placenta only weigh 3-4 pounds on average, and a large baby is still only 10 pounds.

Like, I went into birth at 290, and I want to say I came out maybe 275, 280. (I don't honestly remember. I just remember the starting weight because it was on a chart I looked at a few times.)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I counted my starting weight as what I weighed when I started actively trying to lose the weight. Each time it was a different weight and a different time frame.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would just say that I was down 76 pounds from my pregnancy weight. No need to feel guilty and no need to call it cheating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd use whatever I weighed the day after I had the baby. If you don't know it, you can call the doctor's office and ask.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used what I weighed when I started losing weight. i was 190 when I went into labor, and then when i started actively working out about a month after he was born I was 175. Now I'm 155. So I consider that I've lost 20lbs.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'd start from whatever you weighed after birth. I agree with you about the cheating. :smile: I've even seen women use a pregnant photo as their "before" which just seems odd to me.
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I put my starting weight as the weight I was one week AFTER I delivered. Maybe that's because I didn't weigh myself at the hospital right after I gave birth. So, one week after I delivered I was 107 pounds and that's my starting weight.
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think I was around 200 about a week after I came home, so that's where I'll start. Thanks for the input guys!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I consider my starting weight what I weighed 2 weeks after delivery when I stopped dropping weight dramatically. I had terrible night sweats for the first few weeks and lost a bunch more water weight. I gained about 45 lbs with my first baby and within the first 2 weeks postpartum was down 25.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I suppose, technically, it's accurate to say you lost 76 pounds of weight as long as you make it clear that you didn't lose 76 pounds of fat. Whatever makes you feel better, but it is rather misleading.

I counted my start weight after I had the baby and after all my fluid retention was gone. I was 230ish when I gave birth and 220 when my body started balancing back out. 215 when I started MFP and now I'm down to 186.5. So I would say that I've lost 33.5 pounds of fat since having my babies.