Today, I fought tears at the gym.

Options
I pulled a muscle running last week, & been couched since. This was my first run since, and my calf muscle was so tight I felt like it was never going to warm up. I walked for 30 minutes instead of 5, JUST to warm up... & even still, when I started running (at 4.5mph) I couldn't do it at first, and had to drop my jog down to a 4.2. I usually run at 6.0 - 6.5. I was so frustrated. I was so upset...

... I was distracted.

A young 20-something woman bent down to sort through the magazines on the rack next to my tradmill. When she stood up, I realized she had to be at LEAST 6-7 months pregnant---one of those tiny little women that's really only pregnant in profile... that looks like someone rather unceremoniously shoved a beachball up her tank top. She hopped up on a treatmill & started walking.

Ten minutes later, from my treadmill (on a mezzanine overlooking the weights)... I saw her. I also saw a large pimply-faced teen bodybuilder jump up without being asked to clear the 25lb weights from the leg press for her. Between sets, she lay back on the seat, rubbing her stomach, smiling to herself, & breathing deeply. She moved on to calf-raises. The kid that sweeps up bolted over from 20 feet away to load her plates. She switched to bench press... 10lb plates on the bar... a woman dropped her weights to spot her without being asked. By the time I left the gym... she had worked her shoulders, legs, & chest... & sat contendedly on a stationary bike with a magazine to cool down.

What the hell was I complaining about? A tight calf muscle? Really? Here's a woman without any measureable abdominal strength left, carrying an extra 20lbs worth of "here's mommy's bladder... let's see if I can push on it & make her pee" WORKING OUT. Her back is probably sore... she might have morning sickness... her baby's probably doing summersaults & bruising her from the inside out.... There really ARE no excuses. Today I saw a community coming together to support a woman's right to stay fit, keep in shape, & be herself even though her body really isn't her own right now. If she can do that... what the f*** am I b****ing about? I can't remember the last time I'd seen something so inspiring. So touching.

By the time I'd left the gym... I'd run for an hour. And gotten the treadmill up to 5.2. That 10K I have on July 1st? I'm gonna kill it. I may not be fast... but dammit... I'm finishing.

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I pulled a muscle running last week, & been couched since. This was my first run since, and my calf muscle was so tight I felt like it was never going to warm up. I walked for 30 minutes instead of 5, JUST to warm up... & even still, when I started running (at 4.5mph) I couldn't do it at first, and had to drop my jog down to a 4.2. I usually run at 6.0 - 6.5. I was so frustrated. I was so upset...

... I was distracted.

A young 20-something woman bent down to sort through the magazines on the rack next to my tradmill. When she stood up, I realized she had to be at LEAST 6-7 months pregnant---one of those tiny little women that's really only pregnant in profile... that looks like someone rather unceremoniously shoved a beachball up her tank top. She hopped up on a treatmill & started walking.

Ten minutes later, from my treadmill (on a mezzanine overlooking the weights)... I saw her. I also saw a large pimply-faced teen bodybuilder jump up without being asked to clear the 25lb weights from the leg press for her. Between sets, she lay back on the seat, rubbing her stomach, smiling to herself, & breathing deeply. She moved on to calf-raises. The kid that sweeps up bolted over from 20 feet away to load her plates. She switched to bench press... 10lb plates on the bar... a woman dropped her weights to spot her without being asked. By the time I left the gym... she had worked her shoulders, legs, & chest... & sat contendedly on a stationary bike with a magazine to cool down.

What the hell was I complaining about? A tight calf muscle? Really? Here's a woman without any measureable abdominal strength left, carrying an extra 20lbs worth of "here's mommy's bladder... let's see if I can push on it & make her pee" WORKING OUT. Her back is probably sore... she might have morning sickness... her baby's probably doing summersaults & bruising her from the inside out.... There really ARE no excuses. Today I saw a community coming together to support a woman's right to stay fit, keep in shape, & be herself even though her body really isn't her own right now. If she can do that... what the f*** am I b****ing about? I can't remember the last time I'd seen something so inspiring. So touching.

By the time I'd left the gym... I'd run for an hour. And gotten the treadmill up to 5.2. That 10K I have on July 1st? I'm gonna kill it. I may not be fast... but dammit... I'm finishing.

It's an interesting story, but I don't think comparing oneself with people we know nothing about is helpful. She may have a lot more of a fitness foundation that you do. But yes, good for her.