WLS & Caffeine

Options
So, aside from the added sugars or calories that come with many sources of caffeine, is there any reason a weight loss surgery recipient cant have caffeine on a daily basis?

I have a cup of coffee with sugar free creamer (0 sugar and 15 calories) and sometimes a Monster (10-100 calories and 0 sugar, sometimes 15g protein) so that I can keep up with my 1 year old and my domestic duties...

I know caffeine isn't the best for you on a regular basis, but if I keep the calories and sugars low what's the harm?

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was told caffeine is fine and was only an issue during the pre op diet and shortly after surgery. I don't do coffee, just never "grew up" enough to acquire the taste for it, but I drink Crystal Light Energy drinks and Kroger Morning Boost drinks every day and they are loaded with caffeine. Only thing I have noticed is that they can cause a raise in blood pressure or heart palpitations if you already have an issue with that. Also, I do notice that sometimes the caffeine makes me more thirsty. But, I think without it in the morning, I would drag all day. I really just have never gotten the energy level back after the surgery as I think I should have.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I find I snack a lot less if I have had some caffeine in the morning, which I like because I tend to get all of my supplements in with my coffee and I dont have to worry about downing all of them right before bed. I do have an "irregular heartbeat" or palpitations but I haven't had it looked into yet, but I have a low pulse and a good blood pressure so I don't know if it would benefit me to worry about it. I havent seen the Crystal Light ones I'll have to look into those.. any protein in them?
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was told once I was a month out I could have caffine. I like my coffee with alot of stuff in it (sugar, cream, flavorings) so, it's just easier for me to skip it. I think your cup in the morning is fine.

I'm 7 weeks post op.