How can I change my relationship with food? I always, always eat about 1,000+ calories at breakfast.

Options
13»

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    so start by gradually making your breakfast smaller. For a week only use one egg. The next week lose a piece of toast. The 3rd week lose the potatoe. There- your breakfast is smaller-eat those calories late in the day. Move more calories our of breakfast as you need to. Just do it gradually and let yourself adapt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see lots of great ideas here. Breakfast is my favourite meal but if you are eating until uncomfortable you do need strategies to make it more enjoyable.

How about eating much more slowly and mindfully, at least one meal a week?

http://hfhc.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/114469
  • RMCottonRPh
    RMCottonRPh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Still eat a big breakfast, but change your choices
    Eat lower calorie foods.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I feel more compelled to overindulge in the morning if I give myself time to loaf around. (I'm a student with a 4 day weekend at the moment and I'm struggling with this too). Something you could do is pack something for the car and eat say just the toast and coffee perhaps before a walk around where your work is. Or perhaps spend the morning in a public library where food isn't allowed. I'm planning on trying that myself. Good luck!
  • falleninlove22
    falleninlove22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anybody has said this yet, but try drinking a couple glasses of cold water in the morning before you eat anything, that might curb your appetite a little bit and save more calories for later
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    chulipa wrote: »
    Spread your calories out more evenly through the day. Why and what do you eat for breakfast just interested my breakfast is anywhere between 200 -400 and im full

I have struggled with binge eating issues since I was about 8 or 9. Here is an example of a breakfast I'd usually eat: 2 eggs fried in butter or olive oil, 1 potato, 50g onion, 1 T. ketchup, mushrooms, red peppers, on a bed of raw spinach. Then, 2 pieces of toast with butter, peanut butter, and jelly. On top of that, I could even eat 1 cup of grapes and then my usual coffee with heavy cream. It is not that food doesn't fill me up in the 200-400 calorie range, it's a behavioral issue.

No good comments about the behavioral or over fullness issues, but...

All I could immediately think of was some hacks to reduce the calorie content of this breakfast, some of them being a bit presumptuous, but stay with me... :)

Eggs - cook using Pam spray instead of oil. Keep the awesome veg!!

For your toast, use those 35-45 calorie low cal bread instead. I found a honey wheat one I like to buy in the grocery store. Use I can't believe it's not butter spray rather than statight up butter

Lose the peanut butter from the house - it can be hard to moderate for some people

Grapes are another fruit I find hard to just let sit in the house. I'll keep going back until they're gone. Consider buying as a more occasional treat if this is your issue, and look into other fruit instead :)

Coffee - switch to black, or smaller quantities of heavy cream

Potato - I'm actually thinking of adding this one either for breakfast or for lunch again. If it's a large potato, maybe use half?

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    We don't know what your weight is and its possible that your calorie goal is too low for you. Its not a good idea to cut calories so much that you get very hungry between meals. If you have to go more than four hours between meals have a snack.

I think your breakfast could be smaller.

ONe of the best binge eating strategies i have come across is in a book called hte don't go hungry diet. The strategy teaches you how to eat to satiation and to stop before you feel full.

You can learn to like this feeling and it will help you lose weight and to recover from your behaviour. In her second book Don't go hungry for LIfe she goes into this strategy in great detail. And i would recommend you get hte book and learn her strategy. I followed her instructions for quite a while and now i do it naturally. I used to also be a binge eater but not in the same way as you. I binged on sweets and now i don't eat them very often at all.

Her first book explains other things pretty well. I do'nt follow her general intuitive eating approach for weightloss because i prefer to have a light calorie deficit. But i do'nt actually count calories anymore and so what i do is fairly intuitive. I keep a food diary. Although i have been able to stop that too.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    chulipa wrote: »
    Spread your calories out more evenly through the day. Why and what do you eat for breakfast just interested my breakfast is anywhere between 200 -400 and im full

I have struggled with binge eating issues since I was about 8 or 9. Here is an example of a breakfast I'd usually eat: 2 eggs fried in butter or olive oil, 1 potato, 50g onion, 1 T. ketchup, mushrooms, red peppers, on a bed of raw spinach. Then, 2 pieces of toast with butter, peanut butter, and jelly. On top of that, I could even eat 1 cup of grapes and then my usual coffee with heavy cream. It is not that food doesn't fill me up in the 200-400 calorie range, it's a behavioral issue.

Have you had therapy for this? In particular cognitive behavioral therapy?

I have had therapy for other issues, but not with eating as the main focus. Maybe it's time :smile:

I love all the suggestions I'm getting here, and think I will try them in addition to some CBT.

Please do. You need to explore what you are medicating with food. Until I did that I couldn't successfully keep weight off.