Half marathon

Options
can anyone tell me what's a good routine to
Train for a half marathon please?

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    When is your HM? And what are you doing now as far a weekly mileage, how many runs a week, paces?
    How long have you been running? You done any other races?
  • terriness214
    terriness214 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Running or walking? I've trained for halfs in walking.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    When is your HM? And what are you doing now as far a weekly mileage, how many runs a week, paces?
    How long have you been running? You done any other races?

This.

But Hal Higdon's plans are pretty good and can be found free on the internet. He has some tailored to beginners.
  • Mellieanne1019
    Mellieanne1019 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My half maRathon would be in May
  • Mellieanne1019
    Options
    I am a begone never did any
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Not even a 5K or 10K? wow. way to set your heights on high. You may want to sign up for a 5K that is in 3 months so you can get some kind of sense how well you do in race conditions. Good for setting up your paces.

You didn't say what you are doing now, so I assume that you can run at least 3 miles without stopping? If not, can you at least run 1 mile without stopping? (sorry for the questions, just trying to establish a base of understanding of your fitness).

Some things. Finishing times or speed is not your goal right now. Upping mileage is. The way you do that is start slow and build up slow. Everything is a slow pace (conversational). That means that every time you run, you should be able to hold a normal conversation with a real or imaginary running buddy outloud without worrying about breathing. If you can't speak complete sentences (cause you are breathing too hard) then slow your pace down.

Start with 3 miles (if you can do that) 3x a week. Slowly add a mile to any of the 3 runs every 2 weeks. You should then run 5 miles 3x a week. If that seems like a bit much, add a mile to one of the runs every 3 weeks. 1 or 2 days rest in between runs.

For example:
    Week 1: 3 miles, 3 miles, 3 miles
    Week 2: 3 miles, 3 miles, 3 miles
    Week 3: 4 miles, 3 miles, 3 miles
    Week 4: 4 miles, 3 miles, 3 miles
    Week 5: 4 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles
    Week 6: 4 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles
    Week 7: 4 miles, 4 miles, 4 miles
    Week 14: 5 miles, 5 miles, 5 miles

At this point add a mile to just one of them
    Week 15: 5 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles
    Week 16: 5 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles
    Week 17: 5 miles, 5 miles, 7 miles
    Week 18: 5 miles, 5 miles, 7 miles
    Week 19: 5 miles, 5 miles, 8 miles
    Week 20: 5 miles, 5 miles, 8 miles

At this point you are building up aerobic fitness.
    You may want to add a 4th day in. Cause you are establishing what we call a long run (the longest run of the week).
    To establish long runs and maintain safety from getting injured, they should make up between 25-35% of your weekly mileage. At this point they are becomming dangerously high at 45%. Adding a 4th day will help.

Week 21: 5 miles, rest day, 5 miles, rest day, 2 miles, 8 miles, rest day
    Week 22: 5 miles, rest day, 5 miles, rest day, 2 miles, 8 miles, rest day
    Week 23: 5 miles, rest day, 5 miles, rest day, 3 miles, 8 miles, rest day

You can modify this to whatever works. The goal is to slowly increase weekly mileage without injury. Eventually you will get to a long run of 13 miles and accumlate a weekly mileage of ~40 miles.

Most of the training plans out there have you cram in all of this within 18-22 weeks. You have plenty of time and it would be wise to start right away and do it as slowly as you can to minimize injury. If this seems too slow, there is the 10% rule that says that you can add up to 10% of your weekly mileage to the next week.

So that means if you were in Week 18
    5 miles, 5 miles, 7 miles

That is a total of 17 miles. 10% of that is 1.7 miles. (I hate these weird numbers so let's make that 1.5 miles)
    So in Week 19 you could run:
    5.5 miles, 6 miles, 7 miles
    5.5 miles, 6 miles, 7 miles <<< 18.5 miles for the week. 10% = 1.8 miles (let's make that 2)
    6 miles, 6.5 miles, 8 miles <<< 20.5 miles for the week. 10% = 2.05 (keep it at 2 miles)
    6.5 miles, 7 miles, 9 miles

Just make sure your long run doesn't get too far ahead of 35%. You may need to add an extra day in or even run one in the morning and run extra at night on 1 day.

If at some point you feel like you are happy with the number of miles you are running for the week, you can keep it there and repeat that week multiple times before increasing again. (You have until May.) Sometimes schedules prevent us from running as much as we like, or if you notice your body starting to get extra sore, keep it steady or back off 1 or 2 weeks. We call these cut back weeks.

For example:

Week 23
    6.5 miles, 7 miles, 9 miles
    Week 24
    5 miles, 5 miles, 5 miles <<< cutback week
    Week 25
    7 miles, 7.5 miles, 10 miles

Cutback weeks are good like once a month maybe less often, maybe more often.
    depends on what your body is telling you.

When you get to about January, you can evaluate better what plan may work out for you depending on how well you are progessing with this. Beggining of January is about 16 weeks away from the beginning of May. You will be way beyond the initial weeks of any 18 week HM plan if you can follow this.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of training plans out there if you do a web search. @Stoshew71 has given you some great advice and ideas for creating your own plan, too. The one I set up for myself for my first half marathon of the race season is pretty similar to his. I run about 5K every other day during the late Spring and Summer when there are no races around here and then slowly build back up to half marathon training mileage during the Fall and early Winter.

The important part is that you increase mileage slowly. Your goal is to actually run and finish the race. Trying to rush things, run too far or too often may very well sideline you with an overuse injury and that's something you want to avoid.
  • Mellieanne1019
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice of different routines. Sorry I did explain what my fitness goals are just yet. I was certainly visiting New York my hometown and my friend ask me to do one! It's kinda nerve racking so I said sure why not. I have never ran a race or anything. I always wanted to and I'm pretty sure I could do it! I am going to start training next week. I will start with a mile and work myself like that. I wanted practice to do a 5 k then a 10 k but I was going to wait until 3 months after to do my first 5k what is everyone's advice?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice of different routines. Sorry I did explain what my fitness goals are just yet. I was certainly visiting New York my hometown and my friend ask me to do one! It's kinda nerve racking so I said sure why not. I have never ran a race or anything. I always wanted to and I'm pretty sure I could do it! I am going to start training next week. I will start with a mile and work myself like that. I wanted practice to do a 5 k then a 10 k but I was going to wait until 3 months after to do my first 5k what is everyone's advice?

If you read my original post, I suggested signing up for a 5K that will take place in 3 months from now. It gives you something to shoot for (short term motivation) and once you finish your first race, you get some experience and you get some data to play with to help you in future training.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    A 5K race about 3 months from now is perfect as long as you're doing the training. Make sure you're not running more often than every other day during your training so you're giving your body time to recover from each run. Take two-three days off after a short race, like a 5K, where you're going all out.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    The good news is May 2016 gives you ample time to be ready. Commit to a regular program of training such as @Stoshew71 has suggested and you'' do great. A 5K in three months is also a great idea to expose you to the race environment and shorten the time before an important goal to keep you motivated.

You can do a lot in 9 months.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm with Stoshew71 in that getting in a couple of shorter races would help you mentally prepare for the HM, especially if it's a big race with 10,000+ runners.

Check out Hal Higsdon's training plans too, he's got them for a variety of distances and experience levels. Personally I love the HM distance, I'd rather run a HM than a 5K.....
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Do you run at all? I went from nothing (2 5k's spanned over 2 years to a half marathon and just completed my 3rd over Labor Day weekend. I set the bar f&cking high back in 2013 and my feet paid...). My time sucked but I completed it in the 4 hour time limit. I'd be glad to give you some of my "don't do this, definitely do this" pointers. lol
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

^ I'm proving this, as are many others here.

Here's my timeline (with no prior fitness)

In early March I bought a Fitbit.
    I spent two months power walking
    At 2 months I ran my first 5K, having only powered walked for "training". I was slow, but I ran it, and got me hooked on running.
    At 3 months I was running 15 miles/week
    At 4 months I ran my first 10K, now running 24 miles/week
    At 5 to 5.5 months, I felt like I had finally built my "base", where my stamina wasn't my limiting factor. Running 25 to 30 miles/week
    At 6 months I ran my first half marathon distance during a slow, long run.

I'm now just over 6.5 months and running 35 to 42 miles/week with 4 to 5 runs/week. I plan on a 15 mile run this weekend.

At nearly 8 months from the day I bought my Fitbit, I'll be running my first half marathon, but I feel I'm ready now.

I post this not to brag about my accomplishments, but to show you a real example of how it is possible. Be realistic in your goals, however. Last week was a down week for me (32 miles) and I still spent nearly 6 hour running, plus perhaps another 4 hours in getting ready, warming up, stretching, and showering. You probably don't need to run as much as I do to finish a marathon, but even if I were to run just 25 miles/week in preparation, that's still at 8.5 hours total for prep/run/post. To be honest, I didn't think about how much time this would take when I started and I think my wife is starting to get annoyed with it.

Be committed and you can certainly do it. A 5K in 3 months is a perfect goal, I think.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    What I did was work up to 4.5 miles on Monday, Wednesday, Friday with some weight lifting on those days, 6.5 miles on Tuesday, Thursday and 8 to 10 miles on sunday. I wasn't training for a half but opened the paper on Friday after my run and saw a HM scheduled for the next morning. I thought what the heck and did it. I had no trouble and did 1:56:30 I think if just get your miles in you will be fine, just don't up the miles too fast and risk injury.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    The good news is May 2016 gives you ample time to be ready. Commit to a regular program of training such as @Stoshew71 has suggested and you'' do great. A 5K in three months is also a great idea to expose you to the race environment and shorten the time before an important goal to keep you motivated.

Yes, I started C25K in April and ran my first half marathon the following January. If that had actually been my goal at the time I decided to start running, I could probably have done it a couple of months sooner.

I wasn't running nearly as many miles per week as @7lenny7. I ran 3 days per week with 5 "base mileage" runs (worked up to 6-7 miles every run for the last 2 months or so) and one progressively longer run every other Sunday. The farthest long run was 11 miles at two weeks before the race. The base miles are what's really important and they should be about half of the race length. Race day adrenaline will carry you through the rest of it.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    What I did was work up to 4.5 miles on Monday, Wednesday, Friday with some weight lifting on those days, 6.5 miles on Tuesday, Thursday and 8 to 10 miles on sunday. I wasn't training for a half but opened the paper on Friday after my run and saw a HM scheduled for the next morning. I thought what the heck and did it. I had no trouble and did 1:56:30 I think if just get your miles in you will be fine, just don't up the miles too fast and risk injury.

If you're hitting over 30 miles a week on a consistent basis a half marathon isn't a terribly difficult run.
  • Mellieanne1019
    Options
    ThaNk you everyone so so much I'm going to start training by walking and running firs rand go from there I know I can do this! And then signing up for a 5 k firs then work to a 10 k and going to run 3 days a week and strength train full body 2 days a week and do cross training one day and yoga the rest day/stretch!

You all gave so much great advice I appreciate all of it!

I know I can do this and maybe one day run a full marathon hah