Terrified of Cycling after accident

Options
3 years ago while out cycling I was hit by a driver that wasnt looking. Although I had cuts, bruises and a major headache luckily after a trip to the hospital I was told i had no broken bones or any serious injuries. The bike on the other had was a different story with about £600 damage (luckily the driver admitted fault and insurance paid for repairs)

Since then my bike had just been collecting dust as I am absolutely terrified of riding again. After 3 years my brother managed to persuade me to go out for a short ride this weekend, which to start with I insisted on being on the pavement and then when I gained a small bit of confidence I went on the road but as soon as a car got close to me I felt sooo panicky.

Has anyone else had anything like this? and if so how did you regain your confidence to cycle again?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Is there anywhere you can bike without traffic? A bike trail somewhere? You might still have to beware of idiots who don't keep their dogs on a short leash, though! I sympathize. I ride in my neighborhood, but I don't dare ride on the streets. People just don't pay enough attention. Your fear is perfectly natural and reasonable.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me too!! It took me 6 years to build up confidence to ride again. I purchased a side view mirror and stay off roads with lots of traffic. Week by week I feel more confident. I am not sure when I will ever not be afraid. I am glad you were not hurt too bad. Yay!!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    In 2007 I slipped on a wet floor in Home Depot and did a body slam on the concrete. When I tried to get up I would fall back down to the ground the manager and his staff stood there screaming at me to "get up" it was horrific and they used a shopping cart to get me to my car where they dumped me and walked away. (concusion along w my entire left hand side of my body damaged) I still hold on when I am on the treadmill and when I walk in the world I walk slow and deal w panic and anxiety.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Worth looking to see if there are any adult bike courses in your area - several places do them, and offer beginner courses or for those who need to boost their confidence. Things like taking the lane and general road awareness would be taught and it might help you.

Otherwise look around for local cycle routes. Many on the National Cycle Route are completely traffics free (check out the sustrans website). Your fear is totally natural, but don't let it beat you!!
  • fitrep1
    fitrep1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been hit on a motorcycle by a car and have wiped out quite a few times on the bicycle. Guess what, nature of the beast! With me, it was the love of two wheels that got me back on and riding again. I figured if I worried about everything that could happen again, I would never do anything. Its OK to be scared, just don't let it get in the way of your goals.
  • florabuerger
    florabuerger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love riding on two wheels. Motorcycling is my passion while I enjoy bicycling as well. As long as I can feel the wind on my face, I feel good. But 5 years back, I had a terrible accident on my motorcycle when I was hit by a car. I was at no fault, was wearing all the protective gears and wasn't even speeding. The car came roaring from behind and sent me flying down the road. The driver was talking to his fellow passenger sitting beside him and claimed that he did not see me! I suffered multiple fractures and lost all confidence. It was terrible being bed-ridden for a complete 6 months. After recovering, I started riding my bicycle, but was scared to death that even on my bicycle I would be hit by a car just because the driver won't see me again! It took me 3 years to get back my confidence and to get back on my motorcycle again.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    So here's an idea, buy a turbo trainer (indoor static bike gizmo) use that to get decently fit, then enter some short Sportive rides (mass participation rides) - riding with other people in an organised event is probably going to help provide the safety net that aids you getting back in the saddle.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    25 years ago I used to commute 37km x 2 to work every day, all seasons, with a great deal of that ride along major streets. Down one particular road with a hill I'm going as fast as traffic for an extended period of time. One car decided he could pull straight into parallel parking without barely slowing down and certainly without signalling, forcing me off the road to bounce off a lamp standard. Nothing broken but a bloody big bruise on my forearm. My helmet fared worse and had to be replaced but I displayed no concussion symptoms. Lucky.

While technically the accident was the drivers fault (no shoulder check, he did not contest this), I prefer to ride defensively at all times because fault doesn't matter when it comes to our health. Was I lulled into complacency due to the regular nature of my commute? Maybe. Could I have avoided this crash? On that route, maybe not. It was too sudden and unpredictable.

The incident scared me and I stopped commuting by bike for several months and instead redoubled my distance running.

But... I started riding again and I don't fear traffic. If anything I'm even more defensive. Some of my high mileage friends have had multiple accidents. Some of those were avoidable. My objective is to not be in an avoidable accident, regardless of fault. So far so good. There are a lot more bikes on the road these days which helps improve awareness among drivers and therefore safety for all.

Runners get hit by cars. Pedestrians get hit by cars. Drivers are crushed by falling rocks from cliffs. Drivers are killed by other drivers. I'm not willing to allow fear to unnecessarily restrict my enjoyment of life. I will take routes that are efficient over an inefficient bike route, but I won't take silly risks along roads that are problematic... sometimes slower is better.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! This happened to me a year and a half ago and I too, let my bike collect dust. When I got hit, I was on a very busy road with lots of construction and the driver was a very impatient woman who didn't follow the rules of the road.

For me, it worked to research and become confident about bike and road laws, bike around my own (very quiet) neighborhood, and buy a side view mirror. It took a couple months to get fairly comfortable on heavier traffic roads, but it does come back with time.

Good luck!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified to ride on the street because of an accident I *witnessed* -- I wasn't even involved! Luckily for me, there are some traffic-free canals that go to beaches and parks nearby, so I'm thinking of getting a new bike to enjoy those.

I think your fear is completely understandable. I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your misgivings.
    I biked the past three winters in our retirement community. Last winter the number of drivers who ignore stop signs ballooned I had several close calls last winter. I've decided I don't love bike riding as much as I thought.....
    My neighbour and I are going to walk the mile and a half to the gym this year to workout instead of using our bikes. My husband thinks I am nuts but I value my mobility. I've lost all this weight to be healthy, and I don't want to chance a car zipping into my path and hitting me. It's happened all too often there now and I won't be added to the casualties. Call me chicken, but I'm walkin'! :(