The 600 calorie muffin

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember those giant muffins!!! My parents use to buy them when I was young. I don't know why I wasn't fatter! That + a couple of 250 cals croissants for breakfast and you blow up in no time!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is stunning how many calories can fit in some food, but as long as you know and understand, I don't think there's an issue.

However, most people don't understand how few calories they burnt by virtuously walking wherever, so treat themselves to what they think they've deserved as an extra, calorie-wise. On mfp though, we're calorie savvy so can include what we like, depending on other health issues.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    yummmm so good!
    As long as it's labeled, who cares.

You can fit it in, or you can't.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with our food industry? My husband brought home some banana nut muffins from Sam's Club today. Honestly, I am not making this up: the nutrition label says each muffin is 600 calories! Really? We can't do better than this? Guess I won't be eating any of them, or maybe just one bite and done. Somehow we need to get the message to those who are responsible for creating these horrors that we want something better for us. I have so many ideas...

I know that if we don't buy them, they won't make them. But when they are so inexpensive, it's an easy choice for the budge-conscious. I think we need to do more to get the message across. What are your ideas?

bet it tastes good though :tongue:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And yet, by buying them...(or more accurately, by your husband buying them)...it is essentially a vote in favor of manufacturers and retailers making these foods available.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is well known in her family for dividing single serve items up for her whole family of herself, husband and 2 6' boys. It may have been cuz she is ahem, "thrifty", but neither boy became overweight or developed bad eating habits...unlike my family of the groaning board school of dining :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    And yet, by buying them...(or more accurately, by your husband buying them)...it is essentially a vote in favor of manufacturers and retailers making these foods available.
    my husband loves muffins and will vote in their favor!

He eats those Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chocolate-chip giant muffins. About 500 calories each with a weeks worth of sugar, I bet.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Some people can eat one of those muffins with no problems. My teenage son had one of those type muffins for breakfast this morning. It's not a big deal for him to eat 600 calories for breakfast. In fact, most days I have at least 500-700 calories for breakfast.

If it is to much for you, cut it in half.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    I am fine with 400-500 calories at breakfast, but I need about 30 grams of protein.... NOT to be found in baked goods, sadly.
  • SAH1906
    SAH1906 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Check the label again...

My kids and I saw some "600 Calorie Muffins" in Ingles. I had my daughter read the NUMBER OF SERVINGS. In a two muffin package that read 600 Calories PER SERVING there were SIX SERVINGS!. I started laughing so hard people were staring at me. We just put them down and I took the time to explain calories to my 8 year old.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Check the label again...

My kids and I saw some "600 Calorie Muffins" in Ingles. I had my daughter read the NUMBER OF SERVINGS. In a two muffin package that read 600 Calories PER SERVING there were SIX SERVINGS!. I started laughing so hard people were staring at me. We just put them down and I took the time to explain calories to my 8 year old.

You found 1800 calorie muffins??? In TWO packs?

Must. Find. These. Muffins.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's pretty crap! Shouldn't be allowed.

If you don't like it, don't eat it.

Me? I'd eat it and love it. I'm making an ice cream pop tart sandwich for dessert after I have dinner. I also had about 2000 calories of dinner on Thursday. Maybe you don't think the restaurant should have been allowed to serve me so much food?

That ticker made me laugh :flowerforyou:
  • pan0ramic
    pan0ramic Posts: 16
    Options
    ...well at least there is an anti-sugar (as an additive) revolution brewing. I knew it was mainstream when I saw Heinz ketchup with a "Less Sugar!" option. (Side note: low-sugar ketchup actually tastes better IMHO). Once we stop adding buckets of sugar to everything, we'll all be healthier and thinner!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's a free world and companies should be allowed to make 600-calorie muffins (thank God for nutritional information) and no one is forcing you to eat the whole thing at one sitting.

It is, however, an unfortunate trend that foods are packaged and prepared in servings that appear to be individual but are way more than the average individual (not someone training for a marathon) should be eating. I'm old enough to remember when a pork chop was about half the thickness and weight of the ones we get in the grocery store now. (DH and I share one.) Why don't they make 300-calorie muffins that are half the size? Greed. For every person who walks away from it because 600 calories are too much, there are plenty of people who don't notice or are willing to eat half and save the rest, so the company wins by selling something that's about twice the size it should be and not giving you a smaller choice.

The OP's point is a good one: read the labels.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am fine with 400-500 calories at breakfast, but I need about 30 grams of protein.... NOT to be found in baked goods, sadly.

They can be at my gym. One of my favourite local restaurants makes protein muffins for the gym. There are 26 g of protein, blueberries, almonds and dark chocolate chips in them and they are amazing. I can't find a homemade recipe that is even remotely close.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

They can be at my gym. One of my favourite local restaurants makes protein muffins for the gym. There are 26 g of protein, blueberries, almonds and dark chocolate chips in them and they are amazing. I can't find a homemade recipe that is even remotely close.

That'd be a perfect breakfast!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd rather risk a 600 calorie muffin than live in a world where the government or food industries dictated the calories in the food I could buy.

Education is the key. Teach your kids to read food labels and make choices. Offer better nutrition education in schools. But the day that the government starts imposing restrictions on what I can stuff my body with is the day I dont want to live on this planet anymore.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    but why have things changed so much that it seems normal for a muffin to be that size

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/fast-food-burgers-tripled-size-1950s-cdc-graphic-article-1.1083573
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Isn't this all the muffins? I never found one with lower cals. That's why I don't eat them. too many of my cals sucked up by something that doesn't even have frosting on it. *smh, imposter*
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    VERY good point! I'm sure if you read the ingredients....it's full of refined products and void of anything helpful to your body! Need to keep voting with our wallets!