Pre workout snack?

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
Today was my first day hitting the gym before work, and I found myself a bit stumped as far as a quick snack to eat beforehand. I can't workout on a completely empty stomach, but can't handle much at 5:30am either. I wound up just eating a tbsp of peanut butter figuring it had some carbs and protein, but what's good that's small but will give me a boost?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    When I have a gym membership, I bring a protein shake to which I've added a little fat in the form of peanut butter or coconut oil, and chia seeds. So that's my pre-, during-, and post- snack :)
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I have a gym membership, I bring a protein shake to which I've added a little fat in the form of peanut butter or coconut oil, and chia seeds. So that's my pre-, during-, and post- snack :)

What shakes do you have? I'm completely clueless about them.

• kshama2001
    Options

I'm having this for dinner tonight, cuz I needed to leave the house right after work in order to get in my walk before dark, wasn't hungry enough to eat a meal before hand, but needed to eat and drink something while I was out. You can easily decrease the calories by decreasing the peanut butter. I use half chocolate teeccino, an herbal coffee substitute, and half coffee for the liquid.

c2a5b93f334566daa696012132dbe9b5.png

Here's a snack. I use unsweetened chai tea for the liquid.

4adf2a2eb7315169ad240a8366859c72.png

I use green tea for the liquid in this one. I don't put raw eggs in smoothies I take to the gym - just smoothies that I'm going to drink fast enough so that they will stay cold. I had this a lot as an afternoon snack when the strawberries were popping in my garden this spring.

74c978203b9575ab8a46de26f33f6038.png

• kshama2001
    Options
    ps - I don't think most people fuss like this - they just mix protein powder with liquid. But since there's very little fat and no fiber in pp, it doesn't satisfy me.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I'm going to try this. Thank you!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite on-the-go workout snacks are crepe rolls. I pre cook crepes (milk, flour, and 1 egg) and keep them in the fridge. The last up to one week, but you can also freeze them up to a month (use wax or parchment paper to keep them separated).

I warm one up quickly in a pan, then drizzle honey and peanut butter on it and roll it up. Also done it with maple and hazelnut butter. Build it with your favourite ingredients and the size you want! I like a carb focused pre-workout snack so this is what works best for me.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    clif protein bar or maybe granola bar. I rarely eat beforehand b/c my stomach doesn't like it but if I'm lifting weights only with no additional cardio I have eaten those two things in the past for my "boost"
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is fine. banana. hard boiled egg

or nothing. i don't eat till after.