cutting down pounds per week near goal weight?

Options
Ok, so this may be kinda silly but hear me out.

So I've heard of people when they first start their weight loss journey, set their loss per week low (.5-1lb per week) so as to not to get burnt out and to give them a little more calories to work with.

So my question is this: would that work for when I get closer to my goal weight? I am 250lbs right now and have it set to lose 2lbs a week. So like cut down to like 1lb per week?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That is usually recommended, yes. At 250 you can continue losing two pounds for quite awhile. Eventually, your BMR and TDEE decrease as you get smaller, so you can't create a calorie deficit large enough that would be safe to lose at the same rate. For instance, my maintenance calories are now only 1800 since I'm smaller. I'd have to eat well below 1200 calories to lose two pounds per week, and that is unsafe and not healthy.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes. You should eat a smaller the deficit the closer you get to your goal weight, as your TDEE gets lower the more weight you lose.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    That is usually recommended, yes. At 250 you can continue losing two pounds for quite awhile. Eventually, your BMR and TDEE decrease as you get smaller, so you can't create a calorie deficit large enough that would be safe to lose at the same rate. For instance, my maintenance calories are now only 1800 since I'm smaller. I'd have to eat well below 1200 calories to lose two pounds per week, and that is unsafe and not healthy.

This - fantastic answer!
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Ok, awesome..thank you everyone!