Legs Alternatives

Options
Looking for some alternatives to leg extensions and reverse hyperextensions. Any ideas?

Replies

• jshane
    jshane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There are literally hundreds of exercises you can do for legs. Squats and lunges work your legs pretty thoroughly. Are you looking for exercises for specific muscles in your legs?
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Isolating quads and then isolating hamstrings. I don't like leg extensions or reverse hyperextensions but I have a super set of them at the end of a workout. Looking for alternatives to those.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    Was thinking glute bridges for the reverse hyperextensions but can't really think of anything for the leg extensions
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What's preventing you from doing those exact exercises? And what do you have that can be used as an alternative? And what are you trying to accomplish in the first place?
  • dogcatac
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Leg extensions hurt my knees, and don't have the equipment for the other. *trying to round out legs day by really working quads/hamstrings+glutes. This is after plyometric training, and heavy squats, good mornings and isolating calves.
  • gail1time
    gail1time Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kettle bells shred & build muscle ballistic moves
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Lunges both regular and Bulgarian hits both, although Bulgarian will target the glutes and hamstrings a bit more. Leg press will hit the quads as will a hack squat machine. Romanian deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts will target the hamstrings. Hip thrusts and glute/ham raise will target the gluts and the hamstrings although the hamstrings to a lesser extent.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Romanian Deadlifts, Glute/Ham Raise, any type of Leg Curl variation in place of Hypers.

Hack Squats, Front Squats, Leg Press, Sissy Squats, Belt Squats, Lunges in place of Leg Extensions
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Romanian Deadlifts, Glute/Ham Raise, any type of Leg Curl variation in place of Hypers.

Hack Squats, Front Squats, Leg Press, Sissy Squats, Belt Squats, Lunges in place of Leg Extensions

These are all good. I personally do good mornings instead of romanian deadlifts, but they're essentially the same. Also weighted step ups for leg extensions as well.

And for random leg exercises I also loved throwing in some monster walks/side steps with bands (you look like and idiot, but they're very effective). Bret Contreras has tons of leg/glute exercises.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    went with hack squats and glute bridges. thanks for the replies! quads are going to hulk out of my work pants today :P.