New here- need advice on gaining weight with IBS

Options
hello! I just started logging to push myself to eat more and get fit. Problem is I had IBS and GERD for 15 years hence very thin (my whole family's got digestive issues), 24 years old, 160cm at 40kg (5ft2, 88pounds). Lots of foods can trigger symptoms (caffeine, dairy, animal protein, cold foods, raw veggies, oily, fried, processed foods etc). I'm plant based now as its the safest diet for me to keep IBS under control. Today's my third day logging and trying to eat more than usual, and ended up with a slight flare and little appetite. I'm really not sure if my gut can take the extra food load. How can I get fitter like that? I do yoga and just started on light weight training (3kg). Thanks for your advice!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Can you eat stuff like peanut butter, sherbert, nuts, avocado, cooking foods in olive oil? All of those help with getting calories up. Tofu and beans will help with proteins. And if you can fish is another great source.

Maybe protein shakes can help too..
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have IBS too, though fortunately not a severe as you.

Your gut can adjust to more food, just start small. It takes time, so be patient.
    Also, try drinking calories. And just try to figure out which of your save foods are high in calories, and eat more of those.
    Also, are you familiar with fodmap foods? If not, google it.
  • joshuasheldon
    joshuasheldon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wow I have severe IBS also I most things with protein kill me I get severe gas and pain I eat it anyway but pay for it especially meats and yogurt and dairy one of the way's I get alot of my calories is I cook oatmeal with cinnamon honey and I make it thinner than it says I put almond milk in it I have this 3 time's a day plus take tons of natural supplements before I have yogurt I take ginger pills I also put apple cider vingar in my salad put it in the blender and drink it that with a little salt and pepper I just use the veggies that that hurt so bad like romaine spinach mushrooms beets or you can use what ever works for you that you like I also take something called slippery elm this is very good I take probiotics,and chew on fennel seeds google some of these remidies and maybe something you could try. I hope you feel better i'm struggling right this moment it sux let me know how your doing I need someone to talk to also if you want to message me i'm here :).
  • morethanveggies435
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Can you eat stuff like peanut butter, sherbert, nuts, avocado, cooking foods in olive oil? All of those help with getting calories up. Tofu and beans will help with proteins. And if you can fish is another great source.

Maybe protein shakes can help too..
    Thanks!! I logged for 3 days and did find that my protein to carbs ratio isn't ideal. Will work with your suggestions. Avocado is expensive in my country and I can't take cold foods too. Been experimenting with peanut butter in smoothies and woahhh its goooood.
  • morethanveggies435
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I have IBS too, though fortunately not a severe as you.

Your gut can adjust to more food, just start small. It takes time, so be patient.
    Also, try drinking calories. And just try to figure out which of your save foods are high in calories, and eat more of those.
    Also, are you familiar with fodmap foods? If not, google it.

Thank you :) somehow I'm okay with most fodmap foods except high fructose corn syrup. I agree with taking time to adjust too. Don't want to force when my gut isn't happy because that will just lead to malabsorption! Will definitely drink more smoothies :)

• morethanveggies435
    Options
    wow I have severe IBS also I most things with protein kill me I get severe gas and pain I eat it anyway but pay for it especially meats and yogurt and dairy one of the way's I get alot of my calories is I cook oatmeal with cinnamon honey and I make it thinner than it says I put almond milk in it I have this 3 time's a day plus take tons of natural supplements before I have yogurt I take ginger pills I also put apple cider vingar in my salad put it in the blender and drink it that with a little salt and pepper I just use the veggies that that hurt so bad like romaine spinach mushrooms beets or you can use what ever works for you that you like I also take something called slippery elm this is very good I take probiotics,and chew on fennel seeds google some of these remidies and maybe something you could try. I hope you feel better i'm struggling right this moment it sux let me know how your doing I need someone to talk to also if you want to message me i'm here :).

Sorry to hear that you're going thru all these! Have you seen doctors and gotten scopes to rule out inflammation? Are you still eating all those foods that trigger you? I was told that during a trigger your body doesn't absorb nutrients properly. There are many high calorie foods that aren't meat and dairy. I'm currently on traditional Chinese medicine treatment its one of the few medicines that really work for me (many of the pills prescribed by doctors don't work or give me allergies) with probiotics, ginger, mint, evening primrose oil and sufficient exercise & rest.