Finally saying "Hello!"

Options
Just thought that I would pop by and say "hello" being as I've been here a while (about six weeks). Discovered this brilliant site about two weeks after I woke up one day, weighed myself and decided "today is the day" for getting myself into shape. I have many reasons for losing weight, the main being my own health - I don't want to end up with obesity-related diseases. I also want to live long enough to see my children achieve their dreams. I just wish that I'd woken up a bit sooner and done this before now.

I've been overweight for most of my life (from about the age of eight). Have managed to lose weight before but end up piling it all back on again, plus a bit extra each time. I could blame any number of events but I won't. I'm seriously overweight because I ate too much and exercised too little. That's all changed now; I realise that I am choosing a different way of life and that means forever. I weigh my foods (and if my husband makes a meal, he will weigh my food - I'm training him well).

When I started out, in July, I had 155lbs to lose. A horrifying amount that I couldn't even admit to my own family but basically the combined weight of two of my children. That smacked me right in the face, I must admit. However, I'm here and doing pretty well. I've given up chocolate, my all time comfort food, as I just know that if I started a packet/bar then I wouldn't be able to stop and would eat the lot. Better therefore to avoid it. My family cannot believe that I haven't eaten chocolate for two months! That's the only food I actively avoid though, everything else is fair game, as long as I stick to my daily calorie goal. I don't feel deprived as I have on other weight-loss programmes.

I try to exercise daily, taking the children and my husband with me on my walks. The last few days have been tricky as we've all been unwell and the weather in good old England can always be relied upon to throw a spanner into the works! My resting heart rate has already dropped considerably, I feel better and I am happier in myself. My clothes are looser and I have had to donate some of them to charity as they are too big for me (hurray!). Plus, my children are fitter and have also lost a small amount of weight which won't do them any harm as my sons all carry a bit extra. My husband has lost 14lbs. It's all good.

I'm really lucky as my whole family are with me on this 100% and are delighted for me with every pound lost. My youngest son hated going for walks but two months later, no longer complains. Especially as he can now get his arms around me for a hug. Today he told me that before I started losing weight, he couldn't even put the tips of his fingers together but today he can wrap his arms around me and touch both wrists with his other hands.

This has turned out to be a bit of a long "hello" but it feels good to write it. Looking forward to hitting my goal weight, even if it is a long way off!

Replies