Vacation + Healthy eating =Possible?

Please share your success stories for how you maintained a healthy lifestyle while on vacation. I am in the Caribbean on vacation for 2 weeks visiting family. Just arrived today and at a lot of mangoes - fruit yes - but high carbs. I am so scared of keeping up the routines while visiting family...please keep me motivated.

Replies

• TD_BC
    TD_BC Posts: 15 Member
    Lucky you being on vacation!!!

Take time out of the day for yourself, go for a walk and re-connect with a different person each time. My favourite holiday walks are for an hour or so with Mum or my sister, and by walking instead of sitting around, you're acheiving both quality time and exercise - for both of you!

I recently got back from 3 weeks in Italy and was dreading getting back on the scales, but by eating how I normally would at home for breakfast and lunch (or as close to it as possible), and then having a 'vacation' meal at dinner, combined with my walking each day, I didn't gain any weight. I didn't lose any either, but it felt good getting back on those scales and knowing I can go on vacay and not ruin all my hard work :)
  • nedmund
    nedmund Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you...that's smart! hmmm..may try something like that. I have lost too much to go back now...
  • srhcutting
    srhcutting Posts: 15 Member
    i just got back from vacation and actually lost a pound!! The trick is to eat breakfast and lunch as close to as how you would eat it at home, and every time you eat out just pick the lowest calorie thing on the menu (usually a salad...). Of course, allow yourself to enjoy some of the local food but try to save that for dinner (which is the most fun meal anyway!)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Get some exercise (walking and swimming, given that it's the Caribbean) and eat sensible portion sizes. I spent two weeks in Italy without logging, and still lost 7 pounds between all of the walking and eating reasonably. I still enjoyed the food, and ate whatever I wanted, I just didn't eat crazy portions.