New to low carb... Any tips?

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    My own experience. I am doing a diet that allows carbs one night a week. first its no carbs (less than 30 grams) for 10 days. Well today is day 10 for me been feeling great loving life more energy and weight is dropping fast no stomach problems. Had my first carb loaded meal half an hour ago feel sluggish like I have the flu. So I say low carb feels great and I love it.

However 17 days of low carb you are going to see the weight come back with a vengence and there is nothing you can do about it if you stop after 17 days. It has to be a long term change.

Carb Nite....it's a great book. I did follow it for a bit, and it definitely taught me how to eat differently. I still do carb days, but I upped my carbs to 100 - 120g (except today, don't judge me :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know any extra weight that you may lose with low-carb will not come from fat, it will just come from muscle glycogen and water which is temporary. (Compared to a normal diet consisting of the same amount of calories)(Assuming that in the normal diet you're hitting proper macronutrient ratios)

No.
    thought you were a fellow IIFYM'er?

It's not some magic wand or some trick. Many successful low carbers lose significant weight from fat. Having as much protein in a typical HFLC diet can help avoid the typical muscle loss that is reported from a typical low fat diet.
    . Did I imply that low carbers will not lose weight? If so point where please. My point was it won't be any more successful that a plain deficit diet with a decent macronutrient setting. Nowhere did I say keto doesn't allow one to lose fat. Point being most would rather eat more carbs and lose weight than less carbs. Keto really stands out for people who already have low bodyfat and need to take it to the next level

Haha srsly? Holy backpedaling.
    Just to let you know any extra weight that you may lose with low-carb will not come from fat
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know any extra weight that you may lose with low-carb will not come from fat, it will just come from muscle glycogen and water which is temporary. (Compared to a normal diet consisting of the same amount of calories)(Assuming that in the normal diet you're hitting proper macronutrient ratios)

What an ignorant comment.

I've been doing keto since September 2012. You really think I've lost 50 pounds of water and glycogen?

Low carb works because it removes the cycle of craving (and eating) carbs that many people have. I struggle to control my eating on a regular diet. Low carb "fixes" this for me. I eat less food because blood sugar is regulated. Could I lose the same amount of weight if I ate fewer calories on a regular diet? Probably. Except that I wouldn't be able to eat fewer calories - I'd crash and binge eat because of those cravings.

It's not for everyone. But for many it's a very effective approach to control their food consumption. And yes, if you return to eating the foods that made you fat in the first place, you'll gain weight again.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    sick of editing my post...carry on
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options

No.

It's not some magic wand or some trick. Many successful low carbers lose significant weight from fat. Having as much protein in a typical HFLC diet can help avoid the typical muscle loss that is reported from a typical low fat diet.
    . Did I imply that low carbers will not lose weight? If so point where please. My point was it won't be any more successful that a plain deficit diet with a decent macronutrient setting. Nowhere did I say keto doesn't allow one to lose fat. Point being most would rather eat more carbs and lose weight than less carbs. Keto really stands out for people who already have low bodyfat and need to take it to the next level

Just to let you know any extra weight that you may lose with low-carb will not come from fat
    Any extra weight, compared to a regular cal deficit diet, say in one month you lose 12lbs on keto vs one month you lose 6lbs on deficit, the extra weight one lost on keto would likely be water and glycogen not fat.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    My own experience. I am doing a diet that allows carbs one night a week. first its no carbs (less than 30 grams) for 10 days. Well today is day 10 for me been feeling great loving life more energy and weight is dropping fast no stomach problems. Had my first carb loaded meal half an hour ago feel sluggish like I have the flu. So I say low carb feels great and I love it.

However 17 days of low carb you are going to see the weight come back with a vengence and there is nothing you can do about it if you stop after 17 days. It has to be a long term change.

Carb Nite....it's a great book. I did follow it for a bit, and it definitely taught me how to eat differently. I still do carb days, but I upped my carbs to 100 - 120g (except today, don't judge me :)

Interesting - looks like it's off the market?
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=carb night
  • KatLifter
    Options

No.

Any extra weight, compared to a regular cal deficit diet, say in one month you lose 12lbs on keto vs one month you lose 6lbs on deficit, the extra weight one lost on keto would likely be water and glycogen not fat.

Like Jonnythan said - you aren't even making sense.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options

No.

Like Jonnythan said - you aren't even making sense.
    what did you not understand about my last post? Isn't it what the study I showed you yesterday stated?
  • lilRicki
    Options

Interesting - looks like it's off the market?
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=carb night

You can buy it for $900 apparently. It's not the gospel according to carb cutting, it just has some great ideas.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    My tip is "low carb is dumb." Carbs are excellent for energy.

A "17 day diet" will accomplish absolutely nothing. You won't lose any significant body mass in that time, and following a silly restrictive diet for a couple of weeks will do absolutely nothing whatsoever about teaching you how to eat long-term.

Don't fall into the "jump start my weight loss" trap.

You forgot the part about whatever is lost will probably gained back and then some?
  • KatLifter
    Options
    what did you not understand about my last post? Isn't it what the study I showed you yesterday stated?
    [/quote]
    Did you see the one I replied with, and the graph? Refutes what you said. Statistically significant differences in fat vs. muscle when eating low carb.
    How much water weight do you really think one can lose? There is some in the beginning - then it is gone. People have to maintain a level of hydration to function. Don't want to hijuck this thread any more, so I'm out.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You know what, do what you want. Yes, it is not healthy to follow a low carb diet for most people for a long time but, hey, I lost 20lbs and "kick started" my weight loss (I read that on here in one of the comments and thought it was ridiculous that people thought it wasn't a real thing). Yes, when I stopped doing it, I gained a little water weight (about 3lbs) but it got weight off (I have a bad back and couldn't exercise till I dropped some weight), it showed me that I can be strict about a way of eating and it gave me a chance to eat things that I knew I wouldn't be able to eat much of over the next year.

I probably wouldn't suggest just doing it for 17 days because it takes a little time to lose more than water weight. I did mine for about two months and, like I said, lost 20lbs. I now calorie count and I'm at 25lbs. Don't let people tell you not to do it. It's your body and you can make your own decisions (wow I sound like a bleeding heart liberal lol). The only thing I would suggest is not doing it for a "long time" without dr supervision. Because of the way low carb breaks down fat, you can develop kidney stones.

ANYWAY, if you're not concerned about calories while you're doing low carb, I would make this every night. It's one of the BEST things I've ever ate. (Homemade stuffed chicken garlic pizza from papa murphy's)

http://thissimplegift.blogspot.com/2011/08/mamas-home-made-version-of-papas.html

Do it in a lasagna dish with no crust. I swear to God, it's amazing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My own experience. I am doing a diet that allows carbs one night a week. first its no carbs (less than 30 grams) for 10 days. Well today is day 10 for me been feeling great loving life more energy and weight is dropping fast no stomach problems. Had my first carb loaded meal half an hour ago feel sluggish like I have the flu. So I say low carb feels great and I love it. Carbs taste great but dont make you feel as good.

This is a long term change, it is not just 17days, it is 3 cycles of changing your habits then the 4th once you reach goal weight is maitenance. Read the book please.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    So your study refutes the one I posted, really?
    And how am I not making any sense?
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with a 17 day diet (I don't actually diet). You may see results quickly, however; you might notice that when you revert back to the old way of eating, you will gain whatever you have lost back.

I am living proof that we can lead healthy lives following a low-carb lifestyle. Low carb does not mean no carb. I lead a low-carb lifestyle because a) it has helped me lose fat (cellulite noticeably) and b) I just feel better when I eat this way. I count my calories daily and exercise according to my goals. I am also surrounded by diabetics (types 1 and 2) and so I tend to cook low carb meals anyway.

I get plenty of healthy carbs from my foods (veggies, fruits for example). I do eat breads and have beers and potatoes, but in moderation because it's what has worked for me.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Wow there is some hostility in here. Obviously, you have gotten advice from complete opposite views. If the reason for this decision is not for medical reasons, then I would suggest do as much research as possible. Which, by this post, you are trying to do. There are groups within MFP that focus on low carb diets.

My opinion is that low carb diets aren't necessary unless you are required to do so for medical reasons. I do believe you need to find a plan that you enjoy. A lot of times that will be done through trial and error. Good luck with whatever option you choose. My only advice would be to not stick with any eating plan where you are miserable and only doing it because you feel it will give you the best results. There are many ways to lose weight. Just make sure you pick the one that is healthy and you enjoy.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I really like the 17 day diet, and I'm going to re-start it again. I felt amazing on it, because I was eating so many nutritional veggies and lean proteins. The fruit you're allowed in the first 17 days was enough for me for carbs. Once you are into the 2nd 3rd and 4th phases and more of your carbs are added back, you are basically just eating a very well balanced diet. I would not suggest completely eliminating all carbs forever, obviously, that will make you go crazy!
    Just try to have lots of variety with your veggies and protein so you don't get bored, and don't forget to get enough of the healthy fats!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wish people would read up before posting. Yes the book is call "The 17 day Diet" but it is not 17days long and it is not a diet.

It is cycles of changing the way you eat.

The first 17 days eliminates starchy carbs all of them and you get to eat veggies (non starchy) and fruits (before 2pm and low sugar ones ie no melons) with lean chicken, turkey and fish (no shellfish) there is more to it but read the book.

The next 17 days you introduce complex carbs (brown rice,couscous) before 2pm, red meat every other day such as beef and pork all the while doing 20 mins of exercise as you don't have the carb boost for more.

While you do these first 2 phase you have green tea, lots of water, probotic yogurts and low fat/ low sugar alternatives and good fats like olive oil in moderation

The next 17 days you eat modest portions of all the above foods, and introducing more complex carbs like whole grain breads etc but you exercise 40mins a day.

Go back to cycle one if you haven't reached your goal...if you have go to phase 4...eat what you did in phase 3 mon-fri while introducing your 4 favorite foods on the weekend....Pizza, Wendies whatever but exercise drink your water and eat healtly choices through the week but no more refined sugars etc.

I just don't get it...before "assuming" you know what the deal is read up on it.

As for the post who said they were a pond...me too...25lbs gone and hasn't come back...must be a drought in my area...

As for the OP again go for it...add me if you want as you can see I am a great advocate of this and I know it works and it is a great kick start to eating a well balanced diet while still having those foods you love.
  • wittpilotswife
    Options
    I am a huge fan of eating clean aka no carbs!! That combined with beachbody helped me lose 70 pounds!! I would love more friends on here that feel the same and would love to help each other out!! Add me as a friend on here, we can do this together!!!! :)
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of eating clean aka no carbs!! That combined with beachbody helped me lose 70 pounds!! I would love more friends on here that feel the same and would love to help each other out!! Add me as a friend on here, we can do this together!!!! :)

How do you pull off "no carbs" and drink Shakeology at the same time?