Newbie at the gym...help?!

Options
Clearly this is nerve racking for anyone just starting but any tips on where to begin today and how long? Reps? I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    start on the cross trainer to warm up and assess your surroundings
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Well, you can always ask or look around for some beginner's programs. If they don't have them, you can find something online that should work for you.

As far as your general approach, some pointers are:
    1) People aren't focusing on you or watching you as much as you probably think. Sure, they may notice you, but then their attention's going to go back to their own workout (especially if you venture into the weight room where the iron can be quite unforgiving to unfocused minds).

2) Don't be afraid to start easier than you think you might need or want to. Whatever your workout program is, you can always ramp up the intensity. But you don't want to accidentally push yourself too far too fast and hurt yourself.
  • Fitformud16
    Fitformud16 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know how you feel, it's a big thing entering the gym environment esp if there are super serious gym peeps in there :) but yeah cross trainer good and treadmill, my gym was great when I started, I book an assessment and I was given a 6 week plan to work to and they shew me how to use things correctly, then it wasn't as scary :)