Working out and gaining muscle with RA

I'm only 26 and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 3 years ago. I have always been active but now I am more limited and have to be careful, however I am still able to go the gym most days. I'm wanting to get lean and gain muscle mass without damaging my joints. I would love any tips, suggestions or personal stories. :)

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I've had Psoriatic arthritis for a couple of decades. I started doing strength training a few years ago. I'm in far less pain than I was before I trained on a regular basis.

I do my best to listen to my body. If I start getting any persistent soreness in my elbow I back down on the hard training for a week. The only time I've gotten myself into trouble, minor injuries, is when I was a bit too enthusiastic and pushed a little too hard. Live and learn.

I work out at home, mostly bodyweight fitness with some dumbbell & kettle bell work. I've managed to get away with weighted pull ups and dips without destroying my joints. I plan to keep on doing resistance training as long as I'm able. The benefits are significant and the risks are manageable.

Getting lean is mainly about maintaining a proper diet. Also, you can get strong without adding any mass. Regular training allows for neuromuscular adaptations, in short your muscles learn to work more efficiently. This strength can help reduce the stress on your joints.
  • jmgriffis
    jmgriffis Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for your reply! I do feel better when I'm regularly exercising I guess my struggle has been finding a balance. I was over doing it in the beginning and getting frustrated and ended up stopping for long periods of time, making getting back at it even harder. It's good to know that I could probably add a little weight and learn some patients to get what I'm looking for. Right now I'm doing elliptical with some yoga just to keep my body moving. I tried some machines at the gym thinking that would be doable but now I'm thinking I just need to try some body weight fitness and dumbells.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Patience goes a long way.

I over did it when I first started and could barely pick up a coffee cup for two days. I nearly threw in the towel. When I restarted (3 mo. later) I took things slowly and added exercises & progressions as I got stronger. It took six months to build up to a respectable beginner routine, I was way out of shape when I started. In a year I built a decent routine. Progress takes time.

Be patient. Be consistent with your fitness plan. Small steps are still steps in the right direction.
    Good luck.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Another person with psoriatic arthritis weighing in. I currently work with a trainer and my progress is slow because I'm very, very weak in my upper body, but I have to agree that resistance training helps so much with pain levels.

I've come to know how far I can comfortably push myself over time, and unfortunately, that's something I think each of us struggling with something like this needs to learn. Finding that balance between progressing (which leads to gains in feeling better) and not pushing so hard that we're setting ourselves back is something that fortunately only takes a time or two of making the wrong choice to learn.

Best of luck to you.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    I have RA and am very active. Arthritis needs to move! As much as we might think otherwise when it causes pain. I eat an anti inflammatory diet most of the time and use Joint Vibrance and hydrate well. I run (train for half marathons), bike, swim, strength train, and do yoga regularly - I am moving most days in one way or another. I believe that my diet, hydration, Joint Vibrance, and activity level are what keeps me pain free.