Military diet

Options
2»

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to loose about 10-15 lbs I know I can't reset my metabolism, I guess I just wanted to try it out but yes I'll probably take everyone's advice a just eat healthy it's just easier said then done! No matter what everyone says.

No doubt it's easier said than done. Most things that are truly worth doing are.

I do hope you realize the foolishness of partaking in a "diet" by which your own admission will not in any way shape or form help you accomplish your goals.

You CAN accomplish your goals, but you need to take the steps and make the changes to your life that will TRULY help you toward that goal.

This ridiculously named "diet" is nothing of that sort.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Does the diet include military fitness routine? My son's in the Army and he eats whatever he wants. Doesn't drink much anymore and runs 5 miles a day + lifts weights and a regulary workout

The diet has nothing to do with the military...

I was going to say...

My brother got out of basic training with the Marines dangerously underweight (not helped by the fact that he spent the last two weeks out in the wilderness rationing 3 days worth of food).

When he got into regular training, his diet consisted of about 3,500 calories. I've never really been sure how this fits with the VLCD I've seen advertised as being styled after the military. They literally starved him then stuffed him.

When was this? My brother was in basic, what, six years or seven years ago. He came out fitter than he went in, with more muscle. He wasn't eating at a deficit, that's for sure, even if it wasn't all food he liked. But he was also on a super restrictive (read: stupid) diet before entering.

I mean, sure, the Crucible was hell, but most days he said they ate very well.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Well I kind of decided to do this mostly to re- set my motablism and restart on a good healthy diet I know it's a non sense diet I guess I'm just hoping it will give me a little push in the right direction. I am doing it for three days then going to start a healthy life style. Thanks everyone for the advice☺
    I'm trying to loose about 10-15 lbs I know I can't reset my metabolism, I guess I just wanted to try it out but yes I'll probably take everyone's advice a just eat healthy it's just easier said then done! No matter what everyone says.

Why would you even consider doing something you know is nonsense? If you know you can't reset your metabolism, why would you claim that as a reason for doing something?
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Especially when you have kids lol

I had my daughter eat what I made. She liked most of it, and when she honestly didn't like something (Brussels sprouts with spicy cajun seasoning, for example), I just let her skip it and eat more of whatever else I had made. Granted, I did eat a lot more Goldfish than I otherwise would have, and if I let her choose dinner it was ALWAYS pizza, but you can't use your kids as an excuse to over eat. It was my choice to grab a hand full of Goldfish when I passed by the box. It was my choice to have three (or more) slices of pizza.

You don't have to "eat healthy" to lose weight. You just have to be conscientious, and honest with yourself. That's hard enough to do without adding unnecessary restrictions to your diet.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP it sounds like you are coming around to the realization that you don't need to "jump start" anything and a fad diet isn't a way to go. You only have 20 lbs to lose? That's totally doable - even with kids. Not sure how the kids impact the weight loss, I have two of them and if anything, it helps keep me motivated to set a good, healthy example for them of why nutrition and physical activity is important. Not to mention when they are driving me crazy I can use the, "Man, look at the time, better head to the gym" excuse for a break...

Please read this, and the links within it, and adjust your expectations.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Especially when you have kids lol

I'll have to politely disagree. I have kids, I eat healthy, I lose weight.

Read the stickies at the top of the Getting Started board, there is a wealth of information. Set your goals, get organized and plan your menus (I find this helps). Invest in a metric food scale and weigh all solid/semi-solid foods, measure all liquids. You'll be on your way in no time.

Best of luck :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP you will not get a lot of support for that diet here. It is a very restrictive, short term diet that doesn't even include foods that taste good. Why not just figure out an appropriate calorie deficit for your height, weight, and activity level; eat foods that you like within that deficit, exercise if you want, and be patient?
    hot dogs are delicious, just saying

This is true. I had two chili dogs for dinner last night! Ice cream is also delicious. I shouldn't have said that the food doesn't taste good - it is just odd combinations of things that don't seem to go together, and are totally unnecessary for weight loss...

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I thought we weren't allowed to discuss/support this diet because it is VLCD?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's only VLCD if it's ongoing, it seems to me. If it's only done for three days, or whatever, is it any worse than a 4:3 intermittent fast?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's basically IF with boring food options.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Nope, nope, nope, nope. As mentioned above, it's a very dangerous diet with a million other names.

Why would you want to do this with only 16lbs to go?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well I kind of decided to do this mostly to re- set my motablism and restart on a good healthy diet I know it's a non sense diet I guess I'm just hoping it will give me a little push in the right direction. I am doing it for three days then going to start a healthy life style. Thanks everyone for the advice☺

The first few days of my diet I got really lucky: my fridge broke and I had to throw everything away. It gave me a way to start fresh and not feel like I had to wait until I'd eaten up all of the "unhealthy" foods in my fridge.

OP, I understand that a psychological restart can be really useful. I don't think this diet is going to be very good for that, though. Why not setup your profile with MFP, make it a point to hit your calorie and nutrition goals, and start trying out new foods or new recipes every day or week. You'll get a fresh start and you'll be learning healthy habits as you do it. The military diet won't give you that.

• southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i went into the army back in the 60's at a weight of 190. When i got out two years later I was 165. C rations back then had over 2000cal. each. plenty of c-rats never hungry just exausted and sometimes too tired to eat. I never want to go on a real military diet again . Stick with healthy foods and keep track of your cico.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

Don't
    Do
    It

There is no "reset my metabolism". That is BS.

Don't start something good with stupid.