How accurate are the calorie counters on treadmills?

Options
RoyBeck
RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
Anyone know if they are pretty much spot on?

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they are spot on or not because I don't have a HRM. But I use those readings all the time because they are a little bit lower or very close to MFP.

As you can see by my ticker, I reached my goal. Most people in this database will tell you to get a HRM for serious cardio exercises, so it is up to you.

Good luck!
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    Not accurate at all IMHO. Get a HRM for a more accurate reading.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't very good at estimating calorie burns.

Anyway, if you programmed your weight on the treadmill it should be pretty accurate.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    my finding would say not remotely accurate... my HRM puts my calories and 1/3 less...

now the spinning bikes seem to give me a much more accurate number... no idea why... they are both made by the same company...
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't really trust them; they typically seem to over-estimate grossly from most of the more reputable calorie burn calculators. Now that I've got a heart rate monitor, that's pretty much verified that, in my experience, most of them are off by a good ~25-30%. I think in general, most people burn a little over 100 calories per mile when running. I found the following calculation which actually seems to line up pretty well with what my heart rate monitor comes up with:

Running calories per mile
    weight (lbs) x 0.75

Walking calories per mile
    weight (lbs) x 0.63
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Highly unlikely - they will give an average for your age/sex/weight.
    They won't know your fitness, your running style etc. etc.

Unless you are in a laboratory environment with controlled oxygen and temperature any method is just an estimate.

The big advantage of HRMs is consistency, you still won't know if the calories are accurate, they count heartbeats not calories...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Highly unlikely - they will give an average for your age/sex/weight.
    They won't know your fitness, your running style etc. etc.

Unless you are in a laboratory environment with controlled oxygen and temperature any method is just an estimate.

The big advantage of HRMs is consistency, you still won't know if the calories are accurate, they count heartbeats not calories...

Yeah, but individual calorie burn doesn't really vary much for a given height and weight. The energy it takes to move a 150-lb body a mile at 6 mph is what it is.

HRMs aren't even consistent, as your VO2max changes dramatically over time.