elliptical training? need some help

i have this elliptical machine and i turn the resistance up all the way and stay on it for like 30 minutes and is says that i burn 768 calories. Is this right? i mean i hope it is cause i want to burn that much but i dont know does anyone else have an elliptical machine and do you burn alot when your on it

Replies

• natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    i have this elliptical machine and i turn the resistance up all the way and stay on it for like 30 minutes and is says that i burn 768 calories. Is this right? i mean i hope it is cause i want to burn that much but i dont know does anyone else have an elliptical machine and do you burn alot when your on it
  • magari14
    magari14 Posts: 9
    i used to burn about 1000 calories in an hour with the resistance at a 7 and my legs goin fast.
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    To get some accurate stats of calorie burnt you need to add two more things - Your Weight and Your Age. With elliptical I am doing 250 calories for 30 min. But then it all depends how fast you are doing and whats the resistance level. Hope that helps.
  • I go to the gym and use the elliptical machine there. When I go for 30 minutes at level 3 or 4, it says I burn over 400 calories. If I go for 45 minutes it says I burn over 600. That is staying at 70+ RMP the whole time, and boy an I dripping with sweat. One way you can get an idea is click on the exercise button and then data base. There is a section that you can enter your time and exercise then it will tell you your calories burned. It's not exact, but it does give you an idea. Hope this helps, but the way I see it is that anything is better than nothing. You could be putting the calories in instead of out. So keep it up.
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    i turn my machine all the way up to 10 and within 30 min it said i burned 768
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    I never tried that much inclination but I think if you enter your current weight and age in one of the selected program then it will surely tell you some what more accurate result. These cardio equipments are programmed to calculate your calorie burnt based on

Time you exercise
    How fast you peddal
    How much resistance or inclination
    How much you weigh
    What is your age

May be sex should also be the input factor since men and women have different rate of calorie burn.
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    The only way you are going to know an accurate amount of calories burned doing anything is if you buy a heart rate monitor. The have them in all different forms. I have one that is a watch. You enter your age and weight and it keeps accurate track of your heart rate and your calories burned. Most machines heart rate monitors and calorie counters aren't accurate, cause they have to be calibrated all the time to ensure accuracy.

Buy a heart rate monitor if you really want to know how many calories you are burning.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    The only way you are going to know an accurate amount of calories burned doing anything is if you buy a heart rate monitor. The have them in all different forms. I have one that is a watch. You enter your age and weight and it keeps accurate track of your heart rate and your calories burned. Most machines heart rate monitors and calorie counters aren't accurate, cause they have to be calibrated all the time to ensure accuracy.

Buy a heart rate monitor if you really want to know how many calories you are burning.

I agree that's the best way to know.
    For me, machines usually show 30-40% more cals than my heart rate monitor.

I weight 139, 24yo and during 40mins (intensive workout) on elliptical I burn 350cals.
    It depends on so many factors that it's impossible to say how many calories you actually burn.