Tracking pasta

Options
What I've been doing is weighing out the serving I want before cooking it, say 2 oz., and then counting the number of noodles. So, it might be 100 pieces of macaroni = 2 oz. Then, when it is cooked, I count out 100 pieces. It's not that difficult and I don't eat pasta much, I'm just wondering how other people do it.

Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Use a kitchen scale to weigh it. Much easier than counting individual pieces.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you have a food scale, you could just weigh out 2 oz (since the box is typically telling you how much a dry serving portion is). It'd be a lot faster and easier to stick with the scale.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I just weigh it dry and cook. As i see it, you've weighed out what they're advising a serving to be so it's the same calorie wise raw as cooked. Mmm pasta.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do weigh it on a digital scale, but if I'm cooking for my family, I put a lot more than my serving in, which is why I count it after weighing to see how many pieces I need to take out of the pot for my serving. Make sense?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You actually stand and count 100 pieces of pasta?

Weigh it.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When i do multiple servings of something I make sure what's going in is equal to x-amount of servings. Then divide it up once it's all done. 4 servings of pasta? Just take a quarter of the total after it's cooked for you.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    When i do multiple servings of something I make sure what's going in is equal to x-amount of servings. Then divide it up once it's all done. 4 servings of pasta? Just take a quarter of the total after it's cooked for you.
    This. And if you feel like you need to be super accurate, then weigh the cooked pasta, and divide it by the number of servings you made. You can get the weight per cooked serving that way.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale. 1 cup of cooked pasta, of the kind I usually get, is ~200 cals. I usually have 1.33-1.5 cups and log 300 or 350.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you count pasta noodles?

okay then.

pasta is one of the few things i weigh cooked, as im not cooking my portion separately.

but , i dont eat pasta often, anyways...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    I do weigh it on a digital scale, but if I'm cooking for my family, I put a lot more than my serving in, which is why I count it after weighing to see how many pieces I need to take out of the pot for my serving. Make sense?

I just put two pots of water on at the same time. A bigger one for the family and a small one for my portion. I drop the pasta in at the same time.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

I just put two pots of water on at the same time. A bigger one for the family and a small one for my portion. I drop the pasta in at the same time.

That's a good idea. It won't always work because sometimes I sauté the pasta in garlic and peppers and I don't want to do that in two separate pots but if I'm just cooking noodles, that is a good idea.
    you count pasta noodles?

okay then.

pasta is one of the few things i weigh cooked, as im not cooking my portion separately.

Yep. It doesn't take long to count out 75 pieces of rigatoni or whatever it is. I mean, I scoop out a spoonful and count maybe 6-8 at a time. I eat pasta maybe twice a month so it's not a huge deal.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just weigh one serving dry. Cook it, drain it, and reweigh. Create a conversion factor, and remember it. Or create a new food "Pasta (cooked)" for the future.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a good scale that is old fashioned, but not digital. It seems to do the job just fine. I just ordered a digital scale after hearing everyone say to invest in one. Is there a reason to use a digital scale over an old fashioned scale?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

That's a good idea. It won't always work because sometimes I sauté the pasta in garlic and peppers and I don't want to do that in two separate pots but if I'm just cooking noodles, that is a good idea.
    you count pasta noodles?

okay then.

Yep. It doesn't take long to count out 75 pieces of rigatoni or whatever it is. I mean, I scoop out a spoonful and count maybe 6-8 at a time. I eat pasta maybe twice a month so it's not a huge deal.

If you're sauteeing the pasta with other things you could weigh the finished product and do the math from there.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I have a good scale that is old fashioned, but not digital. It seems to do the job just fine. I just ordered a digital scale after hearing everyone say to invest in one. Is there a reason to use a digital scale over an old fashioned scale?

more accurate
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options

When I use pasta in a recipe, I use the recipe builder. I weigh all of the ingredients raw and then weigh the final cooked recipe. I usually enter the weight (in grams) as the serving size and note that in the recipe title. That way, I just weigh my serving in grams and enter the weight as the number of servings I had.

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    huh I had never considered the weight difference cooked vs. uncooked, I just throw on 2oz of cooked noodles and call it good. I'm curious now what the size difference actually is...
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

It seems to me that it is a lot easier to cook the serving you like apart in another small pot, instead of counting the noodles twice, because you have to count them to know how many noodles is 2oz ( for example ) and then again when you serve yourself from the big pot.

You also could cook pasta in multiples of 2 oz ( let's say 8 oz, or whatever you need ) and once the pasta is cooked and drained you weigh them and divide them by the number of portions. It's still easier and faster than counting each noodle....twice...:o).

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    huh I had never considered the weight difference cooked vs. uncooked, I just throw on 2oz of cooked noodles and call it good. I'm curious now what the size difference actually is...

The weight difference does not matter, because water has zero calories.

• SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    The weight difference does not matter, because water has zero calories.

But it has nonzero mass. If you're logging based on the dry weight, but eating based on the cooked weight, you're not getting as many calories as you think.