I have limited food and need ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A list of everything you have- or your budget/location would be helpful.

If you are really poor and hungry you will eat things that you have access to no matter if they are breakfast food or you love them. Eating something less ideal is better than eating nothing at all.

Not having the skill to cook much is going to hamper your choices.
    Omelet rice (omuraisu)
    scrambled egg and ham mixed with rice
    Deviled eggs, egg salad sandwich, fried egg sandwich
    pasta
    rice soup

If all you have is ham and rice then that is what you will have to eat. Do you have spices? Onion? Garlic? Any vegetables?

http://www.supercook.com/#/recipes is good for finding recipes that use what you have.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com has good recipes. There are a bunch of rice recipes under beans and grains.

Apply for assistance or visit a food bank.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    RaijinPapi wrote: »
    cmoni2 wrote: »
    If you have canned beans, canned diced tomato, and frozen or canned corn, you can make a Southwest Salad!! Just mix the beans, tomatoes and corn all together and then top with some chopped chili or any of your favorite hot sauces that you might already have on hand and then mix everything well. If you prefer not to have the hot and spicy flavor, you can top your Southwest Salad with any Italian Dressing or Greek Dressing for a variation, instead of the chili or the hot sauce.

It's even better if you have 1/4 fresh Onion and/or a few sprigs of fresh Cilantro to dice finely and then mix into the Southwest Salad.

Also, you might want to visit a local Church. Most have a weekly "Food Pantry" for the Community to access, so you can go there and select several items (fresh, canned, frozen and packaged) for your ongoing nutrition.

Ah I can but it will be a bit emberassing

I'm starting to smell a troll. Moving on.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    RaijinPapi wrote: »
    If you have canned beans, canned diced tomato, and frozen or canned corn, you can make a Southwest Salad!! Just mix the beans, tomatoes and corn all together and then top with some chopped chili or any of your favorite hot sauces that you might already have on hand and then mix everything well. If you prefer not to have the hot and spicy flavor, you can top your Southwest Salad with any Italian Dressing or Greek Dressing for a variation, instead of the chili or the hot sauce.

It's even better if you have 1/4 fresh Onion and/or a few sprigs of fresh Cilantro to dice finely and then mix into the Southwest Salad.

Also, you might want to visit a local Church. Most have a weekly "Food Pantry" for the Community to access, so you can go there and select several items (fresh, canned, frozen and packaged) for your ongoing nutrition.

Ah I can but it will be a bit emberassing

I'm starting to smell a troll. Moving on.

I'm inclined to believe you, but going to a food shelf IS embarrassing. There's a free dinner at the church across the street from me every night. I've gone when I'm the most desperate, but otherwise, I don't like to. Yes, it's free for all, but it's discouraging and the other people that go do not make it a good environment. Of course, if someone is in need and help is there, they need to put aside their pride and do what's necessary.

• kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Omg, why haven't I thought of this southwest Salad idea. This sounds so good, healthy and easy. Heating it up would almost be like a chili. ☆