Any runners out there who don't lift?

Options
13»

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I've always been of the mindset that the only workout routine you'll stick to is the one you enjoy.

Not sure i agree. I don't enjoy some of the strength exercises i do, but i know i benefit both physically & mentally, so i do them. Not everything that i need to do in life is fun. :+1:

I agree with Cherimoose, since I don't enjoy running but I do it because I like the way I feel when I'm regularly running and I also like the extra calories I get to eat. Maybe a good in-between is that it doesn't have to be something you enjoy, and you may even hate it a little, but it has to be something that you don't totally loath! For me, Insanity (or really any repetitive video) is a workout I loath. I loved the way I felt and looked when I was doing it, but couldn't stand hearing the same cheesy one-liners every time.

I see what both of you are saying. For me personally, it's been true that I'll only stick with a workout routine I enjoy. In the case of lifting, the potential benefits haven't outweighed my lack of desire to do it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    This begs my question. Like the OP, I feel like I should be lifting, but I've not started or tried yet. I enjoy running, but mostly, I swim (slowly) and do a very intense water fitness class. In the back of my mind though, I feel like my bones will thank me later for lifting now. I'm 47, premenopausal, and work full time with a family. Between running, swims, and a once weekly dance class, I am not sure where I would fit lifting. In the water fitness class, I use cuffs on my ankles which adds wicked resistance for my legs, and we use "bells" for upper body resistance. Is that enough? It's not weight bearing, which I had always heard women need for better bone density.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll run to a distant park to use equipment along an outdoor fitness circuit. At the bare minimum I'll do some pull-up sets on the overhead bar. A 15km run, some pull ups, dog gets to chase squirrels = a pretty perfect 90 minutes. No line ups. No gym membership required. Hmnn... I think I'll do this one today.

I have a WOSS trainer set that I can throw in my Camelbak, run out to the woods and set it up on a tree. That gives me the opportunity to warm up, do some bodyweight work and then run home again.

It's still dull, given all the waiting around between sets, but at least it's out in the real.

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty consistent lift schedule even through racing season.

Myrtl Routine for hips 2x a week at least:
    http://njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

15 minutes of Plyometrics before or after 1 of my easy run days:
    jump squats, burpees, box jumps- up and down, speed skaters, jump knee tuck, etc

20 min heavy lift 2x-- but, often it becomes only 1:
    shoulder press
    chest press
    calf raises
    squats
    deadlifts
    lat pulls
    I usually do a set of core between each lift set. I think if you have some heavy dumbbells at home, that can be easier because you can do a quick lift set while watching TV or whatever. If you don't feel motivated to do the lifting part, maybe try something like the myrtl routine, which has some strengthening in it and is very beneficial to you as a runner.
  • SoleSister1234
    SoleSister1234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this question - I totally agree! I found a workout on pinterest that I sometimes use for my cross-training days. It isn't weights, but many of the moves are ones you did as a child in gym class - jumping jacks, situps, squats, push-ups. For us runners who hate weight-lifting, let's try to focus on weight-bearing exercises. I have a feeling any exercise that builds the muscles around those we use for running will improve our performance. Befriend me and we'll improve upon this together! :smiley:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    @mwyvr - I totally agree. When I first started running I started on the treadmill. I've since moved to outdoor running and enjoy it infinitely better. Your plan today sounds fantastic!
    I ran outside for 30 years in all weather, and loved it. I started to have knee and hip pain which went away on my treadmill, so another decade with the treadmill and am glad I am still able to run. I've added in DVDs and am doing body resistance and hand weights. It's fun and I feel all over stronger, but what I love is running.