Thoughts on this?

Options

Replies

• freekat
    freekat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I personally think that we spend too much time obsessing about the numbers when we really know what to do. Lately I have been focussing, not on numbers, but on behaving in a way that will bring success. I choose to focus on eating as much real, whole food as possible and keep in a reasonable calorie limit. If I do that I will be much healthier and be an appropriate weight. It is very difficult to overeat on vegetables!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not everyone loses exactly what the math predicts - no shocker there.

Weigh loss slows down as you go - no shocker there, either.

If he thinks he can come up with better math, more power to him. But IMO, no math is going to work for everyone.

I do think it's best that people know when they begin that they might not lose so quickly for a long time. I say that all the time here, so that people won't get discouraged if it happens to them.

Some people on MFP have reported that they lose EXACTLY what the math predicts and that they never slowed down or plateaued. So, the math works for some lucky people. Why it works for some and not others - got me.

There's just so much they don't know yet. Personally, I sick with what works for me and encourage others to do the same...stick with what for them, lol, not what works for me. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The link takes you to a gov-NIH link. I cannot get it to work on my device. 'Will try later.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    IDK what to think about that, I have lost close to 85 lbs in 6months with the 1000 cal a day deficit, who knows though. I know right now my weight loss feels like it is getting harder and harder to achieve so maybe there is something to the idea that the body adapts and stops burning calories as fast as time goes on.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    IDK what to think about that, I have lost close to 85 lbs in 6months with the 1000 cal a day deficit, who knows though. I know right now my weight loss feels like it is getting harder and harder to achieve so maybe there is something to the idea that the body adapts and stops burning calories as fast as time goes on.

My body never adapted to the deficit calories. That claim has been debunked a few times over.

Thanks for the info! That was the jist of the article, at least from my perspective, that the body does adjust etc...

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have read through that article a few times because it didn't make sense.

Where I am finding the difficulty is; the 500 cal deficit it harps on and on about with a mention of metabolic adaptation.
    What it doesn't mention in regards to metabolic adaptation is that one's caloric need drops as one's weight drops. That is why one needs to reassess ones calories every 5-10 lbs lost to keep the 500 deficit at 500.
    If I were anything close to a mathematician I suspect the 7000 cal over 12 month mentioned in this article would equal the same loss as if you recalculated every 10 lb lost with a 500 cal deficit. Just a different mathematical loss.
    I ran my start weight through the calculator and it came out with the same calorie goal as MFP have me and it was also the same length of time it took to lose the weight. It gives me 100 cals too many to maintain.

All of course is JMHO not being a science whiz or a mathematician. .

Cheers, h.