Do you distribute calories evenly, decrease as day goes by, or something else?

Options
I'm trying to build a perfect meal plan on a 2000 calorie day. I've heard a lot of different things, but was wondering what others had to say about this.
Currently, my day looks like this:
Breakfast: 400 calories
Snack: 200 calories
Lunch: 500 calories
Snack: 200 calories
Preworkout/dinner: 500 calories
Before bed protein: 200 calories

I've also heard decreasing as the day progresses is good, but I work out in the evening and figure I need a good energy boost before my workout.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions/adjustments to this? I'm working on building a solid meal plan for myself and I wanted to start here.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sure, sounds like a good starting place. Give it a shot and see if your appetite cooperates.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Whatever you like (and can stick with) will be fine.

I spread mine out through the day. Lots of little meals. Works well for me. :)
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    My plan:

Breakfast: 400 calories
    Lunch (with 1 snack): 6-700 calories
    Dinner: 4-500 calories

I usually like leaving a little extra at the end of the day in case I'm really starving. I get really hungry in the morning, though, so I focus on high-satiety foods like oatmeal and eggs.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I tend to try to leave room at night in case I am hungry. Typical breakfast is 350ish calories, lunch about 400-500, dinner anywhere from 400-700. Snacks tend to be either fruit or a Greek yogurt cup, so most sit between 100-130 calories.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I just pre-log my main meals with the volume/type of food I know I'll need to be satiated, then leave the rest of the calories open for snackies or whatever. I don't really give much thought to how many calories are in each meal.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    About 75% of my calories are spread out over breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The remaining calories I usually eat as a couple snacks during the day.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i eat 4 meals a day, i like to base my carbs around my pre and post workout meals, i take 30% of my carbs pre workout and 50% of my carbs post workout, i keep my fats low for pre and post workout meals, then the other 2 meals are the rest of the carbs 20%, the fats are higher in these 2 meals also, on the days I dont workout my protein, fat, and carbs are the same for all 4 meals im in a 500 calorie def on the days i workout and 500 calorie def on the days i dont workout, i have lost 31 pounds in 5 months i only workout mon, wed, fri
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i generally plan my day around whatever my largest meal will be (sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner). breakfast is usually small (coffee and yogurt)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest re-evaluating frequently depending on how you feel. Over the years I have found that I can have a small lunch but my breakfast can't be skimped.

I maintain better control of i have a late afternoon snack.

If I am really hungry (not bored, not habitual, and not craving) I eat.
  • Iggy585
    Iggy585 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I try and get the biggest meal in for breakfast and slowly go downhill from there. Dinner is mostly a top up of my calories and macros.
    I used to frantically stuff down 1000 calorie dinners to try and hit my goals and that didn't work so well.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Forget arbitrary numbers and strict 'plans' and do it on the fly.

Want a big breakfast? Eat a big breakfast. Not hungry during the day? eat later on.

Eat when you're hungry, to aid adherence and athletic performance.

For me, a 500 calorie main evening meal would need to be served with a side of pain and tears. So I eat big in the evening. Some people prefer to eat lots of little meals.

It's all personal preference.
  • big_striker
    big_striker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also on 2000 calories here. I have 5 meals throughout the day, nutribullet shake for breakfast, bagel with peanut butter mid morning, chicken and veg for lunch, rice and chicken late afternoon before workout then for dinner its another nutribullet shake and a meat source. That leaves around 300-400 spare calories so I have something different if I can. This morning I have porridge with fruit in addition to the nutribullet shake. On weekends I just see how I feel and schedule it around my day. I've tried many ways to eat and smaller regular meals works best. I get hungry no matter what a couple of hours after a meal so this keeps me fuller for longer and I can better manage cravings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, but typically it's 400 for breakfast, 600-700 for an early lunch, 300 for a mid afternoon snack, and 400 for dinner (I'm on 1800, but it's a loose 1800 as I'm maintaining at 2200, so if I'm really hungry, I eat more).

It really depends though, some days I have eaten 1500 calories by 1pm, some days I still have 900 calories for dinner...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I tend to follow a gladiator-style diet in which I get about 1,000 calories evenly distributed throughout the day and the remaining 1,600-1,800 post-workout in the evening. It works best for me because I'm home in the evening and much more likely to binge eat.
  • mcbrainder
    mcbrainder Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is all great advice. Thanks everyone. I guess overall it's not a huge deal, but to go by what I feel I need when I need it. I'll stick with what I have for now. Thanks everyone.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat a 200ish calorie breakfast 7-10 AM. I am usually fine until lunch.
    Lunch at noon is 300-500 calories usually.
    Around 3-4 PM I might want a small snack. Maybe 50 -100 calories.
    Dinner is at 6-8 PM and is around 500-700 calories.
    I usually exerecise after dinner.
    Around 9-11 PM I often want a snack... about 100 calories.

I didn't set out to spread calories out this way. I've observed that I feel best with this kind of pattern.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. Whatever you like (and can stick with) will be fine.

This.
    I spread mine out through the day. Lots of little meals. Works well for me. :)

And I have the opposite approach -- prefer the traditional 3 meals, maybe one snack depending on workout time.

My meals aren't that different in size although I've been experimenting with a smaller breakfast since I tend to have a much shorter time between breakfast and lunch than lunch and dinner.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I need to eat every couple of hours but I eat my main meal in the evening
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is always in the 300-400 calorie range for me. Lunch is usually 400-450 and dinner is usually about 500, with some 150 ish calorie snacks in morning and afternoon. I'm never hungry after dinner.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and ditch the ideas of "eat like a king for breakfast" and "the perfect meal plan"! They are both myths. Eat in a way that suits your preference. There can be lots of ways to do that. What you need is to get enough calories and nutrients, and be properly fueled for your workouts. Your meal plan should help you achieve those things, you are not supposed to bend to some rigid plan just for the sake of... what?

I tell you this because I tend to obsess over finding "the perfect plan" for myself, and I need to constantly remind me of that there is no such thing, and of the purpose of meal planning.