Dairy and Gluten Free

Options
Hello, my dr put me on an elimination diet to find food allergen. However, since doing it...I was given motivation to diet completely and make it a permanent lifestyle choice. Anyone else gluten and dairy free?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you are on an elimination diet you normally change one thing at a time.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do you already know that you are gluten and dairy sensitive/allergic ? If not, there is no real benefit, unless it is just your own personal preference to cutting them out. If however you are justified in avoiding them you will find thousands of people here who have eliminated gluten and dairy from their diet.
    I can't say more about it, because I have absolutely no dietary restrictions and eat a moderate amount of anything I feel like eating and know that I am very lucky.
    Good Luck to you, but please don't cut out whole food groups unless there are health reasons for it. Avoiding them will not fasten weight loss and will not make you healthier, unless you have a medical problem.
    Good Luck !
  • LoseitShika
    LoseitShika Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I
    Ang108 wrote: »
    Do you already know that you are gluten and dairy sensitive/allergic ? If not, there is no real benefit, unless it is just your own personal preference to cutting them out. If however you are justified in avoiding them you will find thousands of people here who have eliminated gluten and dairy from their diet.
    I can't say more about it, because I have absolutely no dietary restrictions and eat a moderate amount of anything I feel like eating and know that I am very lucky.
    Good Luck to you, but please don't cut out whole food groups unless there are health reasons for it. Avoiding them will not fasten weight loss and will not make you healthier, unless you have a medical problem.
    Good Luck !

I'm lactose intolerant so the diet fits my needs. I'm aware to implement things gradually...but items that I need to cut out anyway won't be brought back into rotation. I haven't cut any food groups. Just parts of groups
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    With an elimination diet....everything is stopped for 2 weeks and an item that you eliminated is reintroduced. However, there are benefits to eating gluten and dairy free products. Low in fat. More than likely organic.

Unless you have a diagnosed allergy or intolerance, no there are no benefits to cutting out gluten. And no, many gluten free products are not organic.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    There is a blood test for gluten allergy aka celiac's disease. You must be eating gluten to get it. Also elimination diet is meant for the food to be reintroduced after the 2 weeks to see if it was the cause. I think you need to follow your doctor's orders and see what the cause is. You can still lose weight by counting calories. Good luck, hope you get it all figured out!

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've always been suspicious of gluten for health (unless celiac, of course) but particularly after watching this:
    http://youtu.be/GD-5y__obwc
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @LoseitShika I cut out all forms of grain including oils and sugars made from them so I am gluten free. I did add back in dairy but not like drinking milk. I do Heavy Whipping Cream (36% butter fat), some cottage cheese, and hard cheeses that are lower in sugar. Milk products may be best left off but when I cut out carbs for the most part I needed sources of fat calories and dairy fits my macro nicely.

Best of success. A year later I am learning new info daily it seems.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.
    Instead of milk and dairy, eat more meat, fish, beans, eggs.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Not true at all, just as often they can be just as high in fat, or even have sugar added. No different than any other diet.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    Thank you al. Well noted. However I will continue with some of the attributes of the diet. Since being placed on it, I count calories as I'm to document a food journal. I don't dine out excessively nor overeat. My breakfast consists of a kale berry smoothie with flaxseeds and special k gluten free cereal with almond milk. Dinner is the only time I eat meat. I contribute my lifestyle change to the elimination diet and being placed on it exposed me to organic and whole food as well as a different way of cooking. I understand the use of the diet. Completely. Since it I see a change in my energy and sleep pattern. I will reintroduce the foods that are more likely allergen risk. But not everything.

• advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease, so I'm gluten free.

On one hand, it sucks... I miss good pizza. On the other hand, it makes it much easier to avoid the foods I was prone to binge on and has made controlling the amount I eat a lot simpler!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm not dairy free but I did cut out "real" milk about a year ago because I suspected it was causing gas and bloating immediately after consumption. Now I use soy or almond instead. Less than a week ago I decided to try low-gluten to see if it would help with some other issues. I saw improvement immediately (within a day) so I will experiment with this for awhile. (No I am not concerned that I have celiac.) I say "low gluten" because I am trying to avoid the obvious offenders but not worrying about the gluten-free facility and possible hidden gluten in things. I can always take it further if I need to.

PS I did try Papa Murphy's Udi gluten free crust and it wasn't too bad. Even hubby was satisfied with it, bless his heart for trying it. But PM pizza is not certified gluten free.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was gluten and dairy free for a year and a half due to food sensitivities (not celiac, just sensitive). I ended up adding both back into my diet after I decided I missed beer too much.

I will say that I felt great when I didn't have them in my diet - probably a large part due to the fact that I couldn't eat a lot of foods I would normally binge on (like @advisingwench said), and also because it eliminates a lot of heavy, greasy food that generally made my stomach upset.

I've found a good balance now where nothing is eliminated but I practice moderation. Good luck with everything! This blog helped me tremendously when I was starting out - tons of gluten free/dairy free recipes:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/09/gluten-free-casein-free-recipe-index.html
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    I have celiac disease, so I'm gluten free.

On one hand, it sucks... I miss good pizza. On the other hand, it makes it much easier to avoid the foods I was prone to binge on and has made controlling the amount I eat a lot simpler!
    I'm latose intolerant but we believe I may have another allergen. I completely agree. Since I'm on it currently...it has shown me that I can go without my high fat food and how to monitor what I put in my body
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    I was gluten and dairy free for a year and a half due to food sensitivities (not celiac, just sensitive). I ended up adding both back into my diet after I decided I missed beer too much.

I will say that I felt great when I didn't have them in my diet - probably a large part due to the fact that I couldn't eat a lot of foods I would normally binge on (like @advisingwench said), and also because it eliminates a lot of heavy, greasy food that generally made my stomach upset.

I've found a good balance now where nothing is eliminated but I practice moderation. Good luck with everything! This blog helped me tremendously when I was starting out - tons of gluten free/dairy free recipes:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/09/gluten-free-casein-free-recipe-index.html

Thank you! I think I'm sensitive as well. I cheated and had an onion ring from Arby's. I felt horrible that night like I had eaten dairy products.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Not true at all, just as often they can be just as high in fat, or even have sugar added. No different than any other diet.

Even still...they aren't has heavy and greasy as normal food.
  • LoseitShika
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

If you cut out the grains (and carbs) you will likely be adding fat. Fat and oils are good.

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Even still...they aren't has heavy and greasy as normal food.

They can be. I can easily makes gf onion rings (an example you gave) using gf bread crumbs. This generalization is absolutely not true.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Some fats and oils are good. Not all. I'm lactose intolerant so those items won't benefit me. No red meat or pork

Meat, fish, beans and eggs don't contain lactose? Why has your GP/Dr not just done a test for coeliac disease? There is no need to test for it by elimination/re-introduction.