Weird pains/aches... thought my tail bone was a tumor!

Options
So I've lost about 67 pounds and more than 30% of my body weight. I've got about 25-30 left. (20 from the highest "normal" BMI - which I cannot believe, YAY!!)

But man, it's so weird to feel bones in places where I've never, ever felt them. I thought I had a real medical issue, in my car it feels like I'm sitting on a golf ball. I was so freaked out! But I've discovered that it's my tailbone. My skinny husband says I shouldn't feel it, but I already have been through the "holy $h!t, my knees can't touch when I sleep in my side" and the "ouch! can't sit on tile anymore" pains.

Just wondering if I'm alone. I've got a hard tail bone!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    LOL Awesome weight loss!! Way to go!! Sit on one cheek!
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I also thought I had a malformation in my shoulder. Turned out to be... my shoulder
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    Thanks! I also thought I had a malformation in my shoulder. Turned out to be... my shoulder

Again. LOL
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    It is hilarious, isn't it...?! I can only feel my hip bones when I'm laying flat on my back. But if I slept on my stomach who knows? I know that for a while I quizzed everyone at work about how they could sleep on their sides with their bones touching as it is clearly torturous.

I also was convinced that they enlarged the seats on planes. I mean I was CONVINCED. I had so much room. And when I put the seat belt on and pulled the strap and it just kept pulling... crazy. Weight loss plays with your head!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have just been out in the rain squirming about on my car seat and the only way I can get to sit on my tail bone is by assuming a weird posture, for me, with the back of the seat really tilted back. ( I have little in the way of padding on my bottom)

Maybe experiment with your seats positioning if it makes your tailbone ache.

Congrats on the weight loss, and enjoy finding your bones ;).

Cheers, h.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I can't sit for any length of time without my butt hurting. I'm told you get use to it. It hasn't happened yet.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    My cold tolerance has gone way down. I think I understand now why some extra jiggle had survival value. Still don't want it, though!
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    Oh the cold! I have a sweater with me at all times. In Houston, TX!!! I look like a lunatic.

But I'm glad that I no longer have the same fat ratio as a seal and if I got bitten by a shark I'd get spit out. That was a big deal to me. Of course since I won't enter water past my toes I'm pretty sure I'm not going to encounter such a situation, but it's good to be prepared.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Oh the cold! I have a sweater with me at all times. In Houston, TX!!! I look like a lunatic.

But I'm glad that I no longer have the same fat ratio as a seal and if I got bitten by a shark I'd get spit out. That was a big deal to me. Of course since I won't enter water past my toes I'm pretty sure I'm not going to encounter such a situation, but it's good to be prepared.

Ha! Good for you! I never thought about the added danger of swimming with a marine mammal's fat ratio. Glad I didn't run into any sharks at my heaviest! I'm sorry I ever saw Jaws, though. I really don't swim in the ocean with the same carefree attitude I used to. Then again, we did have a Summer of multiple shark attacks this year. Sadly they take a pretty hard bite sometimes before they realize human tastes yucky.

• Jmgkamp
    Options
    Yep. Jaws ruined my life.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have cushions on all my chairs now. Hubby made me go the doctor after feeling my tailbone... I too thought it was some kind of tumour :lol:
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    So I've lost about 67 pounds and more than 30% of my body weight. I've got about 25-30 left. (20 from the highest "normal" BMI - which I cannot believe, YAY!!)

But man, it's so weird to feel bones in places where I've never, ever felt them. I thought I had a real medical issue, in my car it feels like I'm sitting on a golf ball. I was so freaked out! But I've discovered that it's my tailbone. My skinny husband says I shouldn't feel it, but I already have been through the "holy $h!t, my knees can't touch when I sleep in my side" and the "ouch! can't sit on tile anymore" pains.

You can get foam pillows that are shaped to put between your knees when you are laying on your side. It might be more comfortable.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Congrats on your weight loss!

I was weirded out when I first noticed my tail bone too. It takes some getting used to.
  • lbrodnax83
    lbrodnax83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OMG! The tail bone thing is happening to me too! My car seat is SO uncomfortable now! (I'm down like 71 pounds)...

Also DITTO on the airplane thing. I just went on a business trip- and was like "what the hell are all these people complaining about no space?" And "OMG I can use the airplane bathroom!!!!"

LOL
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    For sure I need the pad in any solid bottom chair. Now I get a butt ache and have to get up and move. :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    :lol: My shoulders feel so bony to me now! They don't look all bony, but they feel so different.

My sit bones and knees also get painful from sitting or lying on my side. I stick squishy blankets there to help. I got really skinny ( like anorexic BMI) for a while when I had a big health problem, and all the bone-pressing pain was really, really awful. I was in college, and the chairs were so hard! I wanted to carry a pillow around with me.

I still have enough fat (and muscle!) on my bottom, I'd think, but it still hurts. I had quite a big butt before, lol.

I have a weirdly shaped and prominent coccyx anyway, so that I could always feel. I had spina bifida at birth and got surgery there. Mine would really freak you out to discover like you did! Situps on hard surfaces cause bone bruises for ages, I learned the hard way as a pre-teen.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    HAHHHAHA I also thought my tailbone was a tumor and had myself REALLY worried for awhile. :D
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I discovered a hard weird pokie outie bit kind of under my knee but above and to the outside of my shin bone.

My Physio confirmed it. Yep it's part of my leg lmfao
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has cost me a fortune in chiropractor bills because I can't sleep in the same position any more and my big boobs prop me up too far when I sleep on my stomach and puts my lower back out.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Losing weight has cost me a fortune in chiropractor bills because I can't sleep in the same position any more and my big boobs prop me up too far when I sleep on my stomach and puts my lower back out.

I'm sorry for your pain but I am SO glad you posted this. I'm having the exact same issue at the moment and had started to wonder if I was doing something wrong while lifting weights at the gym which would cause the back pain. Then I realised it was only when I got up in the morning. New sleeping position required! (Only ANOTHER lifetime habit to change... ;) )x

P.S. What sleeping position, if any, has been recommended to you? :)