Ketogenic diet

Options

Let me talk about my experience with atkins low carb diet. I started at 83 kg I lost 7 kg in 2 weeks But! I regained the weight + 2 = 85 kg as a total in a year. Which means i've wasted time, money. With all respect to atkins this diet helped a lot of people lose weight but for me its not something temporary, its a life style, and I cant be on atkins for the rest of my life.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Just another restricted calorie diet that does low carbs....can be done with a balance of macros contains the same calories in the Atkins program. It's all about the money
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Stayed low carb two weeks. Lost the usual 10 or so pounds of water weight and a couple of real pounds. Went back off low carb. Gained it all back and then some over the course of a year.

Hm. No.
  • maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    'and I cant be on atkins for the rest of my life'
    Well, seeing as you couldn't be on Atkins for even 3 weeks, I can see how 'the rest of your life' might be a bit of a stretch.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    LOL. 2 years ago I weighed the same as I did yesterday, which is 50 lbs less than I did in 2010 thanks to the Atkins diet. I'm not seeing where it cost me anything either.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your macros and are in a deficit you will lose weight. Carb or no carb.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - then you ate in a caloric surplus, keto had nothing to do with it. If you want to lose weight you need a calorie deficit, period.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Your weight gain had nothing to do with Atkins or Keto. Anyone who thinks they can lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks, unless they were HUGE to begin with and ate at a severe deficit, has no concept of the human body and nutrition. What you "lost" was water weight from the drastic carb decrease and maybe 1-4 actual pounds. Then after two whole weeks! you went off Atkins and blamed it not only for gaining the "lost weight" back, but then more on top of that. The water weight came back because you stopped doing Atkins, yes, but the rest of that weight gain was due to your inability to properly control your food intake.

If people want to do Atkins or Keto, great on them, but know that once you stop you will most likely see a bit of an increase on the scale due to water weight. When you reintroduce carbs in your diet, this is what happens. However, it's not going to be so much that you gain all the weight you lost back, unless you're stopping after a week or two because you think those two weeks made you miraculously lose 15 pounds.

Want to know how not to "waste time and money" trying to lose weight? Consume less calories than you burn. That's all it takes. There are many diets people adopt to reach that goal, but in the end it does not matter. MFP is free and the most money you'll have to spend is ~$10-30 on a digital food scale if you want to be really accurate about your intake.
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Your weight gain had nothing to do with Atkins or Keto. Anyone who thinks they can lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks, unless they were HUGE to begin with and ate at a severe deficit, has no concept of the human body and nutrition. What you "lost" was water weight from the drastic carb decrease and maybe 1-4 actual pounds. Then after two whole weeks! you went off Atkins and blamed it not only for gaining the "lost weight" back, but then more on top of that. The water weight came back because you stopped doing Atkins, yes, but the rest of that weight gain was due to your inability to properly control your food intake.

If people want to do Atkins or Keto, great on them, but know that once you stop you will most likely see a bit of an increase on the scale due to water weight. When you reintroduce carbs in your diet, this is what happens. However, it's not going to be so much that you gain all the weight you lost back, unless you're stopping after a week or two because you think those two weeks made you miraculously lose 15 pounds.

Want to know how not to "waste time and money" trying to lose weight? Consume less calories than you burn. That's all it takes. There are many diets people adopt to reach that goal, but in the end it does not matter. MFP is free and the most money you'll have to spend is ~$10-30 on a digital food scale if you want to be really accurate about your intake.

I wish we could "Like" posts on here as we do on FB. I "Like" this! ^^^^^
  • critacca
    critacca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a Holistic Nutritionist I can tell you it's not as simple as consuming less calories than you burn. There are many factors to consider when someone struggles with weight loss that have nothing to do with calories. Hormone levels, thyroid function, artificial ingredients, and medical conditions - just to name a few. People will succeed with different types of diets because every body is different. The key is to find the one that works for you. Some people will need a ketogenic diet, atkins, macrobiotic, etc. and some people will do well by just changing the balance of their diet or simple calorie restriction. But please don't minimize the struggle people have losing weight by saying it's as simple as eating less calories than you burn.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    critacca wrote: »
    As a Holistic Nutritionist I can tell you it's not as simple as consuming less calories than you burn. There are many factors to consider when someone struggles with weight loss that have nothing to do with calories. Hormone levels, thyroid function, artificial ingredients, and medical conditions - just to name a few. People will succeed with different types of diets because every body is different. The key is to find the one that works for you. Some people will need a ketogenic diet, atkins, macrobiotic, etc. and some people will do well by just changing the balance of their diet or simple calorie restriction. But please don't minimize the struggle people have losing weight by saying it's as simple as eating less calories than you burn.

Have you encountered many people who are able to maintain their weight while consuming fewer calories than their body is using? How are you establishing this?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

No.

Some people do find it easier to maintain a calorie deficit using one of the various methods - I don't deny that, but that is because of personal lifestyle preferences.

At the end of the day, if you maintain a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you don't, you won't.

Hormones, medical condition, etc all affect the calorie balance, no doubt, but at the end of the day, it's the deficit that matters.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    CORiLEONE wrote: »
    Let me talk about my experience with atkins low carb diet. I started at 83 kg I lost 7 kg in 2 weeks But! I regained the weight + 2 = 85 kg as a total in a year. Which means i've wasted time, money. With all respect to atkins this diet helped a lot of people lose weight but for me its not something temporary, its a life style, and I cant be on atkins for the rest of my life.

So Atkins was used as tool to help you lose weight (with CI<CO), and it did. You then stopped Atkins (LCHF) and gained weight (a good chunk of which was probably water weight)... I would blame whatever diet you followed while gaining weight and the fact that CI>CO, and not the LCHFway of eating.

It probably is best to use a diet tool that you can continue with. Atkins worked for you but wasn't something you wanted to sustain so you moved on, you just happened to move on to something that didn't work for you. Keep looking. Good luck.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    CORiLEONE wrote: »

So you failed

It isn't for you

Nice thread to explain it.

It will be exciting to see which nutrition strategy works well for you in the future.

That would make a much more interesting thread.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

The issues you mentioned might lower their overall TDEE and their hunger levels at a deficit a "healthy" individual can handle without issues, but I'm confused how these individuals are not losing weight if they are indeed in a calorie deficit. My thought would be due to their issues they're not actually in a deficit (even though all our textbook calculators say they should be), and that's why they're not losing. That their TDEE is lower than expected, not that science doesn't actually apply to them.
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    LOL. 2 years ago I weighed the same as I did yesterday, which is 50 lbs less than I did in 2010 thanks to the Atkins diet. I'm not seeing where it cost me anything either.

Oh it costs me bigtime, I won't lie! Meat is expensive. The only thing that ever cost me more was whole, real food vegan. That had me scraping change out of the car and couch cushions.
  • Azuriaz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

The issues you mentioned might lower their overall TDEE and their hunger levels at a deficit a "healthy" individual can handle without issues, but I'm confused how these individuals are not losing weight if they are indeed in a calorie deficit. My thought would be due to their issues they're not actually in a deficit (even though all our textbook calculators say they should be), and that's why they're not losing. That their TDEE is lower than expected, not that science doesn't actually apply to them.

I like your posts. Very sensible, polite, and well-thought-out.

I think those of us who do follow low carb (not saying you do, you seem not to need it) should emphasize the satiety benefits when we explain why we do it. It seems to be the biggest difference between low carb and other ways of eating. I have yet to find anyone who got hungrier or stayed as hungry after two or three weeks of low carb, although I am sure there are some out there, because we are all different.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »

I like your posts. Very sensible, polite, and well-thought-out.
    You're very kind.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Basically what OP is saying is that with Atkins he had no maintenance gameplan because the game plan presented by Atkins is not what he would want to do for the rest of his life. I understand that. In fact it's not a good choice for me either. I'm currently doing 2 weeks of keto (or however long it takes) and on day 6 can't stop feeling insatiably hungry. A strange thing to crave, but all I can think about is oatmeal. The difference is that this temporary bout comes with a gameplan. Once I'm done with this keto bout I'm back to calorie counting to maintain/lose more.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

queue the pseudo science...

All the conditions that you listed would be factored into the CO side of CICO.

• Azuriaz
    Options
    Basically what OP is saying is that with Atkins he had no maintenance gameplan because the game plan presented by Atkins is not what he would want to do for the rest of his life. I understand that. In fact it's not a good choice for me either. I'm currently doing 2 weeks of keto (or however long it takes) and on day 6 can't stop feeling insatiably hungry. A strange thing to crave, but all I can think about is oatmeal. The difference is that this temporary bout comes with a gameplan. Once I'm done with this keto bout I'm back to calorie counting to maintain/lose more.

If you just can't stand it, by all means, don't do it! However, keto is a tricky beast that, IMO, requires four weeks minimum to give it a fair hearing as far as satiety and craving reduction goes. For me it's six weeks before I get maximum energy bounce, although it climbs steadily after week two.