Kicking Out Sugar

Options
So about a month ago I stopped drinking pop in hopes of helping to lose weight since I was drinking several bottles a day D:

However I've actually gained weight. Looking back I've noticed that since I stopped drinking pop I have been eating a lot more sugary items than I would normally eat.

Anyone have any tips/tricks for helping to kick or curb sugar cravings? Thanks!

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Well, from a weight loss perspective, it doesn't matter what you eat, so even if you're eating no sugar at all, you'll still gain if you are eating too many calories.

My experience is that trying to restrict myself from certain things results in utter failure. Is there a reason why you're restricting sugar other than for weight loss purposes? Sure, you probably don't want to drink a ton of soda every day, but is there any reason why you couldn't allow for one with lunch? It would help by allowing you to have what you crave without going crazy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Well, from a weight loss perspective, it doesn't matter what you eat, so even if you're eating no sugar at all, you'll still gain if you are eating too many calories.

My experience is that trying to restrict myself from certain things results in utter failure. Is there a reason why you're restricting sugar other than for weight loss purposes? Sure, you probably don't want to drink a ton of soda every day, but is there any reason why you couldn't allow for one with lunch? It would help by allowing you to have what you crave without going crazy.

This is my experience as well. It seems like you have two separate issues: you are gaining weight and you would like to cut down on sugar.

The gaining weight is a result of eating too many calories regardless of where they come from. Make sure all you logging is accurate. If you are estimating portions or using cups and spoons to measure, then it may not be working for you. I would suggest getting a food scale and weighing everything in grams. Also, keep in mind that these calculators are estimates so you may need to adjust your intake. And if you're eating back your exercise calories, try only eating half back.

You also didn't mention how much you gained, so also keep in mind weight fluctuates. I can gain 5-8lbs in a day after a salty or big meal.

As for the cutting down on sugar, it's not necessary, but you should be able to change your eating habits if you want. Because you noticed the change able ft er eliminating soda, you could try switching to diet soda. You can also try reaching for something naturally sweetened like fruit. And depending on how you feel about processed foods, there are plenty of diet foods marketed towards people craving sweets but wanting something low cal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just change what you eat, get enough of the other stuff (like meet your protein and fat macros) and eat balanced meals. Maybe keep in a sugary treat at the end of dinner to look forward to/not feel deprived, if that fits your calories. Otherwise, wait it out -- changing habits takes a while, but will happen. For me it usually only takes a few days to stop expecting some food. Having something else to munch on if you were snacking at these times may help. Fruit is sweet (and I don't find that the issue for me involves needing to cut out sweet stuff, but merely controlling what I eat and not eating too much high cal stuff), but if you want to get over the habit of expecting the sweet taste maybe try some raw veggies when you just want to munch.

If you really think you need to cut out sweet treats entirely (I didn't -- again, I just control portions, and I don't have issues with too much added sugar), then maybe try a totally different kind of "treat" for a while, like a bit of cheese or a pickle if you like them, stuff like that.

I think people make too much of cravings or feeling a desire to eat -- most go away as habits change. You just have to pay attention to why you want to eat and be mindful about it and your calorie limit and getting enough other stuff.
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Replace normal sugary snacks with fruit. Drink tons of water. Focus on whole foods....greatly limit or eliminate processed food if you can. Sugar is like heroin....I kid you not. It lights up the same pleasure centers in the brain. It's not going to be that easy to quit. I say that because I am trying to do just that right now. Sugar is hidden in EVERYTHING. Watch the documentary Fed Up on Netflix if you can...very informative. It says that you should avoid "low fat", because when you take the fat out of something, it tastes terrible; so in order for the food to be palatable, they add about triple the sugar!! How messed up is that?! Lol. Watch your labels and be as vigilant as you can about it....eventually your body will adjust. Good luck!!
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've managed to change my diet the past 2 weeks - cut out sugar, caffeine, alcohol and processed foods. I'm having a tough time with the sugar....but my success has been grabbing a honeycrisp apple when I get the craving. I figure it's better to get my sugars from fruit than from something processed like candy or pastries. I also will stick a piece of sugarfree gum in my mouth to ward off the cravings!

And I've lost 6 pounds since starting to eat better!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Nursie863 wrote: »
    Sugar is like heroin....I kid you not.

Sugar is absolutely nothing like heroine. Seriously. Petting a puppy also lights up that same pleasure center in the brain as well.

OP, try pre-logging your meals and snacks as much as you can, it really helped me limit the amount of mindless eating I did. Maybe completely cutting out soda entirely was too much too soon? I let myself have one every once and awhile if it fits in my calories, it makes me happy :)

When push comes to shove, the key to losing weight is eating less calories than you burn. So if your main goal is to lose weight right now, focus on finding the best way to eat and drink to stay at your calorie goal. I personally found an occasional soda was better than the grouchiness and extra snacking it took the place of. Good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Replace normal sugary snacks with fruit. Drink tons of water. Focus on whole foods....greatly limit or eliminate processed food if you can. Sugar is like heroin....I kid you not. It lights up the same pleasure centers in the brain. It's not going to be that easy to quit. I say that because I am trying to do just that right now. Sugar is hidden in EVERYTHING. Watch the documentary Fed Up on Netflix if you can...very informative. It says that you should avoid "low fat", because when you take the fat out of something, it tastes terrible; so in order for the food to be palatable, they add about triple the sugar!! How messed up is that?! Lol. Watch your labels and be as vigilant as you can about it....eventually your body will adjust. Good luck!!

I'm just going to leave this here...

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't get how people have sugar cravings. I have chocolate-ice cream-gooey-things cravings. A piece of fruit? I laugh at you, apple! Ha! Like trying to feed a hungry lion a carrot. Fruit may have sugar but it's not gooey and made of chocolate.

Not trying to discourage anyone from what they want to do or say that cutting out sugar is a bad idea, I just don't understand it. :) I've lost 40 pounds without cutting anything out. I eat it all. (Just not all at once.)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your calorie goal for the day? Even if all you eat are Snickers bars, you should really still lose weight just from a caloric deficit.

If you do want to start cutting out higher carb foods, think about items that you can make simple replacements on. You can have 5 mini Chips Ahoy cookies instead of a bunch of big ones. Switch out some fruit for candy to get some added fiber content. Try different foods and flavors.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not long after I quit drinking in the late 90s, I noticed I had picked up an M&M habit.

These days, if I get enough protein in relationship to carbs, I don't have sugar cravings. I've reduced baked goods and am eating more fruit. I prelog new meals that don't contain meat to make sure the protein is high enough and tweak as needed.

However, on the rare days I slip, I notice that I want to just eat and eat and eat. My body wants protein, but my brain hears "chocolate zucchini cake." (Which I do have in moderation, but try to avoid cravings, as they are dangerous.)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruit - berries, especially, IMO - is very sweet and generally very low-cal. I have a bowl of berries nearly every day and every single day, it is a treat. :)

When you cut the candy, cookies and cakes, you appreciate the sweetness in fruit so much more. When it's not competing with frosting, fruit is so very sweet. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I don't get how people have sugar cravings.

This is true -- my desire to eat something is usually more specific too. (And quite often more focused on salty or spicy or savory foods. I've always thought things could be too sweet, which is perhaps why my liking of some sweet desserts -- like ice cream -- has never once interfered with my enjoyment of fruits.)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you removed the sugar bowl from my house I would never know. About two years ago I gave up soft drinks and then gave up the southern tradition of sweet tea. Now unsweetened iced tea tastes fine to me. I think if you drink water it may not satisfy any cravings other than thirst but if you keep at it you start to think of it as the norm. I would also avoid artificial sweeteners because they have no food value but will maintain your habit of craving sweets. I know its easier said than done but as the saying goes "its lifestyle change" here at MFP.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Sugar is nothing like Heroin, sugar is not hidden in everything. The movie fed up is a propaganda piece, not a factual documentary.

• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Hello! I also went through a phase like this.
    I found it was in relation to a medication i was on, BUT I will still crave a lot of sugar or simple carbs when im not eating a balanced enough diet. More protein and good carbs and fruit on a regular basis and less processed food/artificial sugars lower my cravings quite a lot.
    Also making sure im eating enough helps lower my sugar and caffeine cravings.