Inquiring About Jawbone Up

Options
I am looking to get myself a hrm, and after looking at man reviews I am finding I am partial to the Jawbone Up. I wanted to see if anyone already had the Up and could let me know a couple pros and or cons about the device before I go spending money on one. I would use for:

tracking calories burned (walking, jogging, tae bo, zumba, things of that nature)
logging food (and compatible with my pc so I dont have to do it all by phone, I like spreadsheets and graphs to see progress too)
social media (important that it has its own site/can sync with other sites like facebook etc)

So let's hear your reviews!

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was just reading reviews on it myself today. I use a fitbit but im liking the bracelet aspect of it the Jawbone Up. I love the looks of it too. The reviews are very good for it too.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have seen some bad reviews as well, but everyone has good and bad I suppose. It was between the Jawbone Up and the Nike Fuel but I seem to lean toward the Up
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    UP by Jawbone is not a HRM (heart rate monitor). It tracks food (you can link it with your MFP account), sleep, steps, and many exercises (but not, for example, swimming).

There is no web portal--everything is done via the app (iOS or Android). You sync the band by plugging it into the headphone jack of your phone or tablet.

The graphs are amazing (way better than MFP, but that's not saying much!). You can see some screenshots at http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3694856/jawbone-up-review-fitness-band-2012 (The text is outdated: there's an Android app now, and you can share stuff on Facebook & Twitter.)

PS. there's an MFP UP group at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/13370-jawbone-up-bracelet
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just went through and researched the Up, FItBIt , Body Media and Fuel. I ended up with the UP and should receive it on Wednesday, so no review yet. The fuel had the lowest ratings of the 4 and Bodymedia and FItbit had the most accurate calorie burn accuracy. :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We are a Fitbit family, but #1 son (17 years old) couldn't wait for the Flex (Fitbit's new bracelet type device, it wasn't in stock anywhere, shipping was several weeks out) so he bought a Jawbone Up. He liked it fine, I couldn't see all the data and constantly wished he had a Flex instead. I'd ask him his steps, and he didn't know, and would have to take it off and sync it to see (whereas with the Fitbits you can just sync wirelessly). I was signing myself and #2 up for a couple "fitness reward" sites (Everymove, Earndit, Achievemint ... even my Walgreen gives me bonus points for my Fitbit activity. Just log once and I don't even think about it. I've earned a $5 Amazon giftcard and donated to several charities using these). JawboneUp connected to Everymove, but I don't think it was supported by any of the others

Alas, the Jawbone is no more. It is water resistant and he wore it wave running ... a crash in the water ripped it from his arm and it sunk to the bottom of the lake. SO sad (not even a month old). Anyway ... I have now ordered my son the Flex (not that he deserves it, but it's been so fun to have the family have our Fitbits together - my parents both have them now, although we all have the One).

I have heard some mixed reviews on the Flex (as on any wrist one), I guess we'll soon see for ourselves.

Fitbit does have a food log, but MFP is SO much easier and the two sites connect and work together really well. It tracks steps, distance, calories ... there are a lot of great graphs. I'm very visual too, I'm on the website many times every day and I can SEE the activity of my day. I'm not too social on the Fitbit site, but there is a community there. MFP is more social, but those of us with Fitbits have a group and interact quite a bit here.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the input! Definitely may have to re-think eliminating the FitBit after a review like that! I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond, I don't mind investing my money on something fitness related, but it has to work! I was unaware that the UP didn't connect to PC what a bummer!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the input! Definitely may have to re-think eliminating the FitBit after a review like that! I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond, I don't mind investing my money on something fitness related, but it has to work! I was unaware that the UP didn't connect to PC what a bummer!

Fitbit is it for me......I had the Flex loved it, stayed on my arm well it just had some miner issues like anything new so now I am getting the FB1 which for me it will be better so I can check the amount I have burned and walked......