Strange motivators....

As a 34 year old guy, I have struggled the majority of my adult life with my weight. Just like most people, I get on kicks/fads for a week or 2 and tell myself and wife that "this is the time, this time it is for real." Then a few weeks later I am back to my old self with no change. This last time, something hit me and hit me hard. There is a fire in my eyes and a burning desire to do this and change my life and rid myself of the lifetime of bad habits. I am only 2 weeks in but I am down 7 lbs and still going real strong. I find myself planning out my day of what I am going to eat and how I am going to get my exercise in and doing everything I can to stay active, which I totally believe is key. Something is truly different this time. I have never been in this mindset before or been this committed, ever. I know myself and I know that I am making the right changes. However, my wife doesn't appear to believe me that "this is the time" she just keeps saying "how many times have you said that before?" Don't get me wrong, my wife is an incredible person and a very very supportive partner. Her not believing me just adds to my motivation. Something about it drives me even more to prove her wrong. It is a very strange motivator but it is working. Does this drive anyone else? It almost is more of a motivator than an extremely supportive person. Don't tell me I can't, because I will!

Replies

• laphibbs
    laphibbs Posts: 4 Member
    Hey, use whatever motivates you!!! show her you can do it!!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    While riding an emotional high, I've told myself "this is it" many, many times and ended up failing. This time, by far my most successful effort ever, I just did it. I didn't rely on the high. I just committed and changed.

It felt different to me as well - like a light switch had been flipped. I'm not sure if that's because I didn't rely on a "high" this time or not.

Unfortunately, other people can't feel what you do about your efforts. I'm sure the people around me doubted me at first too, because they're all absolutely bowled over and shocked by what I've done so far. Your wife is going by pattern and the words coming from your mouth - all of which she's heard before. She can't be blamed for this, as she can't possibly read your mind and sense the very real determination that's there this time.

It's awesome that it's motivating you. Keep it up! Prove her wrong!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    The "switch flicking" is definitely what it was for me. In mid-January I was 286.8 when I thought I was around 250, and at that moment (I remember it *clearly*), I said enough was enough; things HAD TO CHANGE. Yup, I had also lost weight before (~20 pounds), but this time it had to last longer than 3 months; it had to be a lifestyle change. I've lost 69 pounds now, weigh pretty much every Friday, and eat a heck of a lot better (and a heck of a lot less!) than I used to.

All of us need that moment when we realize we're heading down the wrong path. Even being put on high blood pressure meds and a CPAP wasn't enough for me to get myself in gear. But that one moment on the scale in Jan was enough.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    I lost 50 pounds and had 10 to go. I gained 10 so now I have 20 to go...and I just can't get back on track. I still haven't found any thing to motivate me...so if it works for you - awesome!!