Calorie count

Options
Hey guys! Okay so I'm still new to this and my calorie count is about 2000 a day, which is great. But do I have to aim for that every day or are there days where I can fall short? Is there a minimum amount of calories I should have a day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A day here and there isn't going to be a problem, but you should try to regularly meet your goal so that you have sufficient energy (and many of us find that going too low makes us more prone to binges/loss of self-control). 1,200 is the minimum number of calories recommended for women.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Okay so I'm still new to this and my calorie count is about 2000 a day, which is great. But do I have to aim for that every day or are there days where I can fall short? Is there a minimum amount of calories I should have a day?

Aim for your goal and falling short is obviously fine however the generally accepted consensus is do not go below 1200 calories.

Accuracy in counting is very important so you need to weigh everything if you don't already.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The 1,200 minimum is before added exercise. Because it's a default....it will be less appropriate for tall ladies.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Like the others said - a few calories here or there occasionally isn't going to matter.

Regularly falling substantially (as in several hundred calories) short of your goal, while possibly having the effect of rapid weight loss, will leave your body undernourished, and will very likely cause other unpleasant side effects.

The winner isn't the person that can lose the weight the fastest, while ending up an empty shell of their former selves (physically AND mentally); it's the person who can lose the weight, sustain the weight loss, remain healthy, and still enjoy life to the fullest.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Echoing the other posters, a few day 'under' days aren't a huge deal but I definitely aim to get to 2000 :)

However - I'm regularly under my calorie allowance so come Saturday morning, I count back 7 days - add all the calories I was under by and use it for a weekend indulgence! I love calorie banking! :)