• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent woman!
  • meghaabraham
    meghaabraham Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on useful sites or threads I can use in order to build my knowledge of nutrition and when to "bulk" or "cut" and proper ratios of Macros? I feel like I know facts about everything, but don't know how to tie it all together and apply it, if that makes any sense lol.

I have some thoughts on this, will comment shortly.

Great, thanks! I would really appreciate the input :)
  • suzygootada
    suzygootada Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Very encouraging to get started!
  • lisaq246
    lisaq246 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I just signed up and can use all the help i can get
  • goelvira
    goelvira Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • lizziesmom15
    lizziesmom15 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. Please update often , I need lots of advice and direction daily.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips on useful sites or threads I can use in order to build my knowledge of nutrition and when to "bulk" or "cut" and proper ratios of Macros? I feel like I know facts about everything, but don't know how to tie it all together and apply it, if that makes any sense lol.

Here is a link to a compilation of 'just getting started' type of threads. It has about 25 links (including a beginner's guide to bulking: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

Here are the direct links: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

I hope it helps!
  • SuperSueg1
    SuperSueg1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    starting over is hard but I am going to give it another go!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Sue, my motto when I came back last year for my second go 'round at this was, "If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!" Even put it on my ticker

1209329.png
  • meghaabraham
    meghaabraham Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »

Here is a link to a compilation of 'just getting started' type of threads. It has about 25 links (including a beginner's guide to bulking: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

Here are the direct links: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

I hope it helps!

Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to check those links out! :)
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The Fundamentals of successful long term weightloss.
    People often say, something about there are many ways to go about this weightloss business. - Actually i can't remember the standard phrase. This is true of course but those many ways are the more superficial side of weightloss. The fundamentals are the same for everyone. Ignore the fundamentals for the long term and you'll Ultimately you will come unstuck. Most find themselves right back at square one - myself included numerous times. What are some of the fundamental things you ask. Here's a list that I've learned from my own experience over many years and from much time spent hanging around on forums and experimenting with different diets. I would point out that these fundamentals are agreed upon by the scientists in the field in recent times. And I have proven them to work in my case at least. I am sure they will work for anyone else who applies them as I've actually written them, whatever your personal challenges.

1. There is more to long term successful weightloss than calories in and calories out. If you run your diet as though it were that simple, then you will be back at square one sooner or later. But its clear that most people who spout this idea just merely don't rate all the other factors they do apply to make their diets work long term or short term.

2. Exercise is not the answer. Do it for health and fitness, not for weightloss. The studies generally show that people tend to replace all the calories burnt through exercise. To out-exercise your consumption you have to do a lot (more than an hour a day most days of the week) and that's not sustainable for the vast majority even in the short term let alone the long-term. This one I have fallen victim to more times than i can count. Exercise moderately for your health. And if you have a great deal to lose, you are better off focusing almost all your effort on diet until you are inside your healthy weight range. Maybe I should write a blog on this because there are a lot of angles to cover.

3. Do not severely cut your calories for too long. The general concensus seems to be a maximum of three months. Personally i think you are much better off not doing it at all. It will increase your chances of long term success if you don't cut your calories severely. Besides rapid weightloss has health consequences that may not be obvious for many years eg gallstones. For those moderately overweight, a loss of about one pound or less per week is ideal but if you are very overweight, aiming for a loss of two pounds seems to be the ideal. The thing is if you are hungry, your calorie deficit may be too severe.

4. Fruit and vegetables! Especially vegetables! Become a fan. Fruit and veg are low calorie, they fill you up and release their energy slowly and give you the nutrition you need to make long term weight loss easier. Along with protein, these are the foods that help you avoid hunger the best. Develop your skills in the kitchen with these foods so that you can stop hating them. Actually an extension of this fundamental is to eat a wide variety of food all the time. I read about a study where it was determined that one should be trying to eat about 30 different foods each week in order to reach optimum nutrition.

5. Eat the right amount of protein for your weight. (google it) Its not just about satiety. It's fundamentally about reducing loss of muscle mass. Muscle is protein and you need to eat protein and move to maintain muscle mass. You don't need to exericse hugely but you do need to use your muscles. Apparently large people do hide a quite a bit of muscle underneath it all. This is because it's needed to carry the weight. As you lose weight, your body naturally adjusts it's muscle mass to your new weight. This is not a bad thing but if you are eating a low calorie diet, you will lose more than should which leads to that gaunt look when people get down to the bottom end of their healthy weight range.

6. Do include fat in your diet. You can lose weight fairly easily and still eat up to 40% calories from fat. Restricting fat severely makes losing weight less enjoyable because much food tastes cardboardy without it and it can have health consequences. So choose mostly healthy fats such as cold pressed virgin oils, nuts, seeds, avocados, and oily fish but avoid low fat dieting.

7. A happy mood is vital for easy weightloss and successful longterm maintenance so failing to pay attention to your mental wellbeing and not working on improving your self-messaging will undermine your best efforts and intentions at any moment. This is partly because your mood is not just psychological. External events can lead to hormonal changes and you want to have yoru hormonse well balanced for successful weightloss. It's worth learning about the role of hormones for weightloss. Its fascinating and are significantly ignored area. Of course we can't always be happy all the time. But if you are prone to stress, or depression you must learn to fend these off before they can take root. This is why councilling and personal growth is vital when you have issues. There are some very good books around - seek them out and don't stop reading and learning until you feel you are in charge of your mental wellbeing and not subject to every passing stiff breeze. Prioritise your mental wellbeing. If your lifestyle is stressful (work, kids, difficult husband/family), develop your ability to resist feeling the stress. Some people are naturally really good at handling stress. And others (myself included ) are very bad at it. If you lack the skills, get professional help and train yourself. Develop your self-awareness. It's a slow process but its so worth it. One way to speed things is up is by spending some learning Mindfulness meditation and especially through a buddhist channel if you can. One reason why the buddhist approach to it is better than pure secular approach is because the buddhist approach includes ethical principles and practices and the secular approach doesn't.

8. Get organised in the kitchen. Become a functional cook so you can enjoy your healthy food. To be successful long term, you will most likely need to cook for yourself most of the time. I wouldn't say meal plans are essential though you might find them useful. Learn to cook, keep your fridge well stocked, shop for fruit and veg in season to keep costs down. Vary your diet. Get some recipe books. Cultivate your knowledge of flavours and simply traditional cooking techniques. Find a way to make it an enjoyable part of your life. If you are very busy, work out ways to be more efficient in the kitchen. My latest idea is to soak and cook my legumes and store them in the freezer in suitable portion sizes so that its quick to make a new dish when i need to. If you've got a family, the kids need to be eating healthy too so get the whole family going along with you. Could your best efforst really be sustainable the hubby and kids are eating junk food all the time while you eat so well.

9. Everybody has an ultimately ideal healthy weight which may hover around a few pounds either way. It may not be the one you decide on yourself at the outset. But this is the goal weight you want to find in the long run. Also with age it will change a little mostly upwards. And for sure, i'm convinced that if you are doing all the right things (as eludicated above), that number lies somewhere within your healthy weight range though for people who have been very overweight all their lives, it may take some time to get to this point. This particular theory (set point theory) is actually still somewehat contentious I understand but my readings about it and experience with trying to achieve it, convince me it's true. The person i've read who describes it best is Dr Amanda Sainsbury-Salis in her book The Don't Go Hungry Diet so if you want to understand this concept, then i'd get her book but you don't need to. The main take home point, i would try to show is that if you aim too low you will struggle to maintain if you aim too high you are short changing yourself. Maintenance should be fairly easy after a while of getting used to it. The longer you do it and the more you resolve your lifestyle issues the easier maintenance is. But it can take some time so you can't just stop doing everything when you reach goal.

These are the fundamentals that affect everyone's ability to succeed in the long term with weightloss. You can't expect to get your own personal recipe right from your first attempt but if you understand the fundamentals, and try to work them into your personal approach, you will find it easier and you will be more successful. I guarantee it. That said, there will be people here who are suited to doing a lot of exercise for the long term. But this is not most people. Look at athletes. Many get fat when they stop competing. My sister is one person I know who seems suited to lots of exercise but she has never been overweight a day in her life. The people who seem most suited to lots of exercise in the long-term are people like my sister who've never been overweight.

Feel free to debate any of these ideas with me or ask questions.

I'm not sure this is a complete list but it does take care of the main things we all can benefit from understanding.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    The Fundamentals of successful long term weightloss.
    People often say, something about there are many ways to go about this weightloss business. - Actually i can't remember the standard phrase. This is true of course but those many ways are the more superficial side of weightloss. The fundamentals are the same for everyone. Ignore the fundamentals for the long term and you'll Ultimately you will come unstuck. Most find themselves right back at square one - myself included numerous times. What are some of the fundamental things you ask. Here's a list that I've learned from my own experience over many years and from much time spent hanging around on forums and experimenting with different diets. I would point out that these fundamentals are agreed upon by the scientists in the field in recent times. And I have proven them to work in my case at least. I am sure they will work for anyone else who applies them as I've actually written them, whatever your personal challenges.

1. There is more to long term successful weightloss than calories in and calories out. If you run your diet as though it were that simple, then you will be back at square one sooner or later. But its clear that most people who spout this idea just merely don't rate all the other factors they do apply to make their diets work long term or short term.

2. Exercise is not the answer. Do it for health and fitness, not for weightloss. The studies generally show that people tend to replace all the calories burnt through exercise. To out-exercise your consumption you have to do a lot (more than an hour a day most days of the week) and that's not sustainable for the vast majority even in the short term let alone the long-term. This one I have fallen victim to more times than i can count. Exercise moderately for your health. And if you have a great deal to lose, you are better off focusing almost all your effort on diet until you are inside your healthy weight range. Maybe I should write a blog on this because there are a lot of angles to cover.

3. Do not severely cut your calories for too long. The general concensus seems to be a maximum of three months. Personally i think you are much better off not doing it at all. It will increase your chances of long term success if you don't cut your calories severely. Besides rapid weightloss has health consequences that may not be obvious for many years eg gallstones. For those moderately overweight, a loss of about one pound or less per week is ideal but if you are very overweight, aiming for a loss of two pounds seems to be the ideal. The thing is if you are hungry, your calorie deficit may be too severe.

4. Fruit and vegetables! Especially vegetables! Become a fan. Fruit and veg are low calorie, they fill you up and release their energy slowly and give you the nutrition you need to make long term weight loss easier. Along with protein, these are the foods that help you avoid hunger the best. Develop your skills in the kitchen with these foods so that you can stop hating them. Actually an extension of this fundamental is to eat a wide variety of food all the time. I read about a study where it was determined that one should be trying to eat about 30 different foods each week in order to reach optimum nutrition.

5. Eat the right amount of protein for your weight. (google it) Its not just about satiety. It's fundamentally about reducing loss of muscle mass. Muscle is protein and you need to eat protein and move to maintain muscle mass. You don't need to exericse hugely but you do need to use your muscles. Apparently large people do hide a quite a bit of muscle underneath it all. This is because it's needed to carry the weight. As you lose weight, your body naturally adjusts it's muscle mass to your new weight. This is not a bad thing but if you are eating a low calorie diet, you will lose more than should which leads to that gaunt look when people get down to the bottom end of their healthy weight range.

6. Do include fat in your diet. You can lose weight fairly easily and still eat up to 40% calories from fat. Restricting fat severely makes losing weight less enjoyable because much food tastes cardboardy without it and it can have health consequences. So choose mostly healthy fats such as cold pressed virgin oils, nuts, seeds, avocados, and oily fish but avoid low fat dieting.

7. A happy mood is vital for easy weightloss and successful longterm maintenance so failing to pay attention to your mental wellbeing and not working on improving your self-messaging will undermine your best efforts and intentions at any moment. This is partly because your mood is not just psychological. External events can lead to hormonal changes and you want to have yoru hormonse well balanced for successful weightloss. It's worth learning about the role of hormones for weightloss. Its fascinating and are significantly ignored area. Of course we can't always be happy all the time. But if you are prone to stress, or depression you must learn to fend these off before they can take root. This is why councilling and personal growth is vital when you have issues. There are some very good books around - seek them out and don't stop reading and learning until you feel you are in charge of your mental wellbeing and not subject to every passing stiff breeze. Prioritise your mental wellbeing. If your lifestyle is stressful (work, kids, difficult husband/family), develop your ability to resist feeling the stress. Some people are naturally really good at handling stress. And others (myself included ) are very bad at it. If you lack the skills, get professional help and train yourself. Develop your self-awareness. It's a slow process but its so worth it. One way to speed things is up is by spending some learning Mindfulness meditation and especially through a buddhist channel if you can. One reason why the buddhist approach to it is better than pure secular approach is because the buddhist approach includes ethical principles and practices and the secular approach doesn't.

8. Get organised in the kitchen. Become a functional cook so you can enjoy your healthy food. To be successful long term, you will most likely need to cook for yourself most of the time. I wouldn't say meal plans are essential though you might find them useful. Learn to cook, keep your fridge well stocked, shop for fruit and veg in season to keep costs down. Vary your diet. Get some recipe books. Cultivate your knowledge of flavours and simply traditional cooking techniques. Find a way to make it an enjoyable part of your life. If you are very busy, work out ways to be more efficient in the kitchen. My latest idea is to soak and cook my legumes and store them in the freezer in suitable portion sizes so that its quick to make a new dish when i need to. If you've got a family, the kids need to be eating healthy too so get the whole family going along with you. Could your best efforst really be sustainable the hubby and kids are eating junk food all the time while you eat so well.

9. Everybody has an ultimately ideal healthy weight which may hover around a few pounds either way. It may not be the one you decide on yourself at the outset. But this is the goal weight you want to find in the long run. Also with age it will change a little mostly upwards. And for sure, i'm convinced that if you are doing all the right things (as eludicated above), that number lies somewhere within your healthy weight range though for people who have been very overweight all their lives, it may take some time to get to this point. This particular theory (set point theory) is actually still somewehat contentious I understand but my readings about it and experience with trying to achieve it, convince me it's true. The person i've read who describes it best is Dr Amanda Sainsbury-Salis in her book The Don't Go Hungry Diet so if you want to understand this concept, then i'd get her book but you don't need to. The main take home point, i would try to show is that if you aim too low you will struggle to maintain if you aim too high you are short changing yourself. Maintenance should be fairly easy after a while of getting used to it. The longer you do it and the more you resolve your lifestyle issues the easier maintenance is. But it can take some time so you can't just stop doing everything when you reach goal.

These are the fundamentals that affect everyone's ability to succeed in the long term with weightloss. You can't expect to get your own personal recipe right from your first attempt but if you understand the fundamentals, and try to work them into your personal approach, you will find it easier and you will be more successful. I guarantee it. That said, there will be people here who are suited to doing a lot of exercise for the long term. But this is not most people. Look at athletes. Many get fat when they stop competing. My sister is one person I know who seems suited to lots of exercise but she has never been overweight a day in her life. The people who seem most suited to lots of exercise in the long-term are people like my sister who've never been overweight.

Feel free to debate any of these ideas with me or ask questions.

I'm not sure this is a complete list but it does take care of the main things we all can benefit from understanding.

Well said. Thank you for sharing
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    @ Patttience I would say that this is fairly off topic for my post, as my post is about the basics. Frankly, to me, the basics are logging accurately and getting into a deficit. Your post is very long and might be daunting for someone just getting going. Once people figure out how to lose weight, then they can fine tune things, which is why I linked to some of the best posts here on MFP. For people starting out, I always recommend the KISS rule... Keep it simple, ...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    @ Patttience I would say that this is fairly off topic for my post, as my post is about the basics. Frankly, to me, the basics are logging accurately and getting into a deficit. Your post is very long and might be daunting for someone just getting going. Once people figure out how to lose weight, then they can fine tune things, which is why I linked to some of the best posts here on MFP. For people starting out, I always recommend the KISS rule... Keep it simple, ...

I am a believer of KISS. It's the reason why I think the weight i lost is still not come back. I also like this post for beginners too.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it#Item_53
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Great advice
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Bumping for success. :)
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Outstanding information in this topic. Something that I think is worth emphasising is do resistance training as soon as possible. This more than anything other than good protein intake will help the weight loss be fat loss instead of muscle or other lean body mass.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I love your dog blankiefinder. Every time I see your pic, I want to smooch him/her....