HELP?

I need to find some exercises that are low impact on the knee. I tore my ACL but I have weight to lose and I can't let slow me down. Any suggestions?

Replies

• morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    What did your physical therapists/doctors say? It would be unsafe for your recovery to take random fitness suggestions from random people.

Normally, you start out with exercises prescribed by your PT and eventually graduate to things like the stationary bike.

You do not need to exercise to lose weight. Diet is the biggest part of the equation. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I'll echo that exercise isn't necessary to lose weight. You simply need to eat less calories than you burn on average. Be careful with your food logging, weigh your food portions as much as possible, and you should have success.

Talk to your doctor or physical therapist about recommendations for exercises which won't compromise your recovery. Upper body work should be safe, for example.
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Check with your doc and PT but I torn my ACL and had surgery - lots of cycling and weightlifting (all with PT supervision)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Get cleared before you start any exercise.
    That being said, look into aqua fit or water walking. Good workout and low impact.
    A lot of physiotherapist use it in my area for joint replacement, and sport injury recovery.

Cheers, h.