What do you do with Flax??

Options
I bought some flax seeds. Sprinkled them on my salad for 2 days before I realized that you have to grind them up. Do I grind them in the blender or food processor?? Then what??

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• manalishis
    manalishis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello Donna!
    I grind up two tablespoons daily with my hand held blender and either mix them into soup or oatmeal. Sometimes I mix them with a pint of water and drink it - not too bad! Two tablespoons a day brings excellent fiber and omega 3 and is about 191-200 calories.
    Hope this is of help :-)
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I grind mine in a coffee grinder. I put a tbsp on my yogurt and I add flax to my protein drink and if i have oatmeal; I add a tbsp after it has cooked
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    also, once you grind it ; make sure to referigerate
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I grind about 30 g of flax seeds at a time in my spice/coffee grinder, use 5 - 10 grams at a time in various things - it blends well - and store the rest in the frig, in the detachable part of the grinder cuz I was tired of washing it all the time.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    manalishis wrote: »
    Hello Donna!
    I grind up two tablespoons daily with my hand held blender and either mix them into soup or oatmeal. Sometimes I mix them with a pint of water and drink it - not too bad! Two tablespoons a day brings excellent fiber and omega 3 and is about 191-200 calories.

How do you get that 2 tbsp is 191-200 calories. 2 tbsp is only 70 calories.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I buy it in meal form an use it in hot cereals and baked muffins and pancakes and such.
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! Going to grind now...
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I grind mine too. Or buy it ground when i find it and put in oat bart i make, but would add to oematmeal and i do have them in peanut butter. They are tasty.
    I never considered them on salad!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    manalishis wrote: »
    Hello Donna!

How do you get that 2 tbsp is 191-200 calories. 2 tbsp is only 70 calories.

that's why we invented weighing. A 5.3 calories per gram and 7 grams of ground per tbsp you would indeed get 70 calories per 2 tbsp, but 2 tpbsp of the seed itself is 20g and hence 110 calories.

A massively heaped tablespoon might get as high as 200, who knows.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I eat them whole, am I wrong to do this?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

nope, not sure how digestible they are though.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The whole ones generally pass through your system undigested. Grind them in order to get the benefits.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I bought some flax seeds. Sprinkled them on my salad for 2 days before I realized that you have to grind them up. Do I grind them in the blender or food processor?? Then what??

Thanks for the input!

Ground flax seeds can be used as replacement for eggs in some baking dishes due to their gelatinous nature when mixed with liquid. :)
    Google to get the right proportion of ground flax to water.
    I believe it might be something like one Tablespoon of ground flax and 2 Tablespoons of water.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I eat them to add un-digestable fibre so I guess that whole is better for me. I also take it in oil form as salad dressing and added to shakes.
    I think I have a bag of ground in the cupboard but I've not used it yet. I might have a read up on the benefits of it in different forms.