a serious lack of time

Options
I am working two jobs at the moment to support my kids, one is a normal 5 day a week regular schedule and my second one is as a waitress at a dive bar three nights a week. So while the hours only add up to about 55 a week, the timing means that I am seldom home, and when I am I am desperately trying to catch up on sleep or spend a few min with my kids. I would love to know how some of you fit any sort of regular exercise into your day. I am very open to suggestions.

Replies

• robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Went thru the same thing my self. Good luck on organized exercise. When I did make it to the gym I felt guilty for not being w the kids but remember if you don't take care of yourself there won't be anything left of you to care for the kids. How old are they? Play is an exercise, take them for a walk, play ball, laugh, giggle, roll on the floor, walk the mall, stand them on the vacuum cleaner and push them around the house -one of my kids favorites. Have fun!
  • kate1103
    kate1103 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are your kids interested in exercise? Mine likes to sit in the stroller so sometimes we go for a walk. Not a high intensity exercise, but it's something.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    When I was at my busiest (full time work, school, kids), I bought a recumbent bike (you could get one used for pretty cheap) and plunked it in front of the TV. After work was "mom time", and I'd watch a movie or the news or whatever, for 30 mins, and just bike the whole time. I lost 35 lbs just doing that. You could do it whenever you find even 20 mins. I wish you the best of luck!
  • niketupatel93
    niketupatel93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are lots of gr8 exercise video on youtube i m doing 2 min workout and absolutely fantastic :)
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    they are 16 and 12, and walking the dogs is one thing I can get them to do with me. 4 our of 7 days I only have 3 awake hours at home a day, so it certainly has to be something quick. Thank you guys so much for taking the time to give me ideas.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Weekends. I work a regular FT job (40-50 hr./week with some travel that adds time) and I'm a FT grad student taking accellerated classes (8 week classes that require on average 20-25 hrs. per week). I also live in a rural area, which means a lot of driving for nearly anything/anywhere I want to go (I average 35K-40K miles annually). I try to get to the gym 2-3 times weekly. Most weekdays, I go to work at 7am. After work, I take care of homework / class work. If it is a gym night, I'll go to the gym afterwards.

For example, last night was a gym night so I left for the gym about 7:45pm (it is about 30 min. drive each way), got changed in the locker room and was actually working out shortly before 8:30 (8:23pm if you want to be exact). I do cardio on the treadmill, then I lift weights. After driving home, it was around 10:15pm.

Depending on how much class work I have yet to do on weekends, that is a time I can get some substantial activity done. In your case, it sounds like you don't work at all on weekends, so I would suggest that.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Do u have breaks and lunch time at your "regular " job? Walk on your breaks or do youtube workouts on breaks/lunchtime.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Weekends. I work a regular FT job (40-50 hr./week with some travel that adds time) and I'm a FT grad student taking accellerated classes (8 week classes that require on average 20-25 hrs. per week). I also live in a rural area, which means a lot of driving for nearly anything/anywhere I want to go (I average 35K-40K miles annually). I try to get to the gym 2-3 times weekly. Most weekdays, I go to work at 7am. After work, I take care of homework / class work. If it is a gym night, I'll go to the gym afterwards.

For example, last night was a gym night so I left for the gym about 7:45pm (it is about 30 min. drive each way), got changed in the locker room and was actually working out shortly before 8:30 (8:23pm if you want to be exact). I do cardio on the treadmill, then I lift weights. After driving home, it was around 10:15pm.

Depending on how much class work I have yet to do on weekends, that is a time I can get some substantial activity done. In your case, it sounds like you don't work at all on weekends, so I would suggest that.

I love going to the gym, but as a single mom I can't take that many hours out of a day I am already not home to go to the gym. Maybe I will pull my dumbbells out of storage and use them when we watch tv together :) I so miss my hours in the gym with my headphones and no one needing my attention. Fingers crossed I get to do that again someday!