Lunch... for Teachers?

Options
13»

Replies

• samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The worst part of Lean Cuisines and other "healthy" frozen meals is the sodium content. They are not good for you and can hurt your weight loss efforts. An occasional one is not going to hurt you but I wouldn't recommend eating them often.

Exactly!! I can handle the mac and cheese Lean Cuisine, but all the rest leave me feeling terrible after lunch! I stopped eating them months ago because if it.

I have to make sure, like everyone has said, to keep HEALTHY snacks around and not candy! When I was subbing, I always managed to find the candy stash and couldn't pass it up. I won't eat it if it isn't around.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You asked about freezing your own meals?

I'll bet a lot of what you cook can be frozen.

- Portion out your food into some form of freezer-safe container (plastic ware, works best). Your container also needs to be microwave safe. Make sure the food has cooled down to room temperature before putting the lid on and placing in the freezer. If you put the lid on when it is warm, you'll end up creating ice particles from the trapped steam.
    - I find I like to pre-mix my food when I cam putting it into the container. If for instance, I normally have satay chicken with rice and steamed broccoli side-by-side as a dinner plate, the food freezes & reheats better when it is mixed in.
    - in terms of cooking/reheating? Even if you put your frozen food into a fridge overnight, it will still be frozen when it is lunch the next day.
    - I find when I am reheating frozen food I set the time for a longer time, but at a lower power. For instance, if above chicken satay would be 3-5 minutes to reheat from fridge, I would increase the time to between 8-10 minutes but at 50-70% power. I find that it heats more evenly then and you're not left with the edges piping hot and the middle still frozen. Perhaps you can start heating it before the lunch bell goes if you have the microwave in your classroom?
    - When reheating, it is usually a good idea to open the lid a little or else the steam will pop it open and possibly warp it. You can take the lid off completely and cover with a paper towel.

Foods which generally don't freeze well or shouldn't be frozen?
    Potatoes. I have never had any joy come from eating reheated frozen potatoes unless they are in the form of oven fries.:tongue:
    Rice can be tricky, just make sure it is a cold as possible before you freeze it.
    Some people might suggest to not freeze foods with cream in them? I dunno, it always works for me, but that might be to do with the premixing I said above.

Whoa! Another long post reply, sorry! I'm in winter at the moment, so that's why I am thinking about meals that can be eaten warm rather than sandwiches/wraps :laugh:

In anycase I hope you find some of it useful! :)

I'm going to send you a friend request so I can keep up with what you decide works for you!
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the Harry Wong book mentioned above. It's great!

As boring as it is, i bring pretty much the exact same thing every day to school. Yogurt, applesauce, figs, carrots, hummus, a piece of hearty bread, and a banana sometimes. . I changed my lunches up substantially after joining this site. I find it's just easier for shopping & nutrition to bring the same junk over and over (and it doesn't bother me to do this). I almost never bring stuff i have to prep or cook in the staff room because microwaves are usually busy and there just isn't time most days to do that.

I avoid frozen entrees, fast food, etc like the plague. Since i mostly substitute, i don't know what kind of kitchen a school may have and don't really use their kitchen facilities much.

Time to go make my lunch now!

I tell the kids up front that if they are hungry & need a snack, they can get one during class time as long as they are polite about it. I explain that i often get hungry & need a snack, so they should be allowed to have one too. This goes a long way with them.

Enjoy your year & remember not to go so hard that you burn out. Make time for yourself every now & again. It's a great job, but people often forget these things.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I work for a small private school without food service. I take the same thing almost every day: Dannon Light & Fit Greek 2X protein, salad or raw veggies and fruit. I also bring a snack for after work, usually either fruit or a protein bar. I also bring plenty of water. Congrats on your first teaching job!

This could've been my answer! I don't teach anymore, but when I did, I brought my lunch everyday. We had 30 minutes (after dropping off kids at cafeteria, and getting back before their lunch was over it was more like 22 minutes) and I hated waiting for a free microwave.
    Oh, and I love South Beach Good to Go bars!!!
  • bermequeen
    bermequeen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I teach and usually the lunch period is 20-30 minutes. It's dependant upon your school or district whether it's a supervised or a free lunch period. Also if you teach younger children you may have to wait in line with them until they are all served. I normally pack my own lunch that way I can keep account of my intake. If you don't like to eat microwave meals...take left overs or do a big cook up once a week.
  • Foxxyfiercefitness
    Foxxyfiercefitness Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been teaching for 5 years now and I too agree that planning and packing is the key. I work in a small rural district that really didn't have any restaurants. We had a Dairy queen and just got a Subway and we rejoiced. I usually bring sandwich fixings for the week and place them in the fridge or bring whatever I cooked for dinner the day before. My school's cafeteria is OK and I know on Mondays and Thursdays they usually have the healthiest food, as in a baked meat, vegetable and starch ( skip the roll). I also make sure to eat all throughout the day. Last year I could eat breakfast around 7:00am usually while driving to work ( cereal and fruit, or an egg mug via. Hungry Girl recipe). My conference period was around 9:30, so I'd eat my snack then and depending on the day lunch was either at 11:00 or 11:30. Usually around 2:30pm, I was sipping on a homemade protein shake during class and sneaking eating nuts to tide me over until dinner around 5:30.

Great Tip: I started working out in my classroom after school. After all the students left afternoon tutorials, and if there were no meetings, I would cover the one window in my room, pop in a Turbo Fire DVD, and go to town. It was great because I still had the energy to do it and there were no interruptions. Usually when I get home it's full mommy mode to my 2 and 3 year old. I did this M-F the last month of school and I'm planning on doing it all next year. It was the easiest way to get my workout on!

Remember, that first year is tough and you'll be tempted to neglect yourself.. DON'T DO IT! Make sure you take care of you so that you can give your best to your students. Good Luck!!
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is my 7th year teaching, I have never had a lunch break or planning period, we simply don't get them. I eat with my kids and if someone has a tantrum or needs to leave the cafeteria (I teach Autistic children) then I don't get to eat during that time. The key is to pre pack something healthy that is ready to go and doesn't have to be heated up, perhaps a salad with a meat, and always have a protein or meal bar on hand just in case. Good luck!
  • lunachan2013
    lunachan2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I bought for winter was a mini food warmer made by crock-pot. Enabled me to bring soups and leftovers and never needed to leave the classroom.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-R-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8US/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1372050344&sr=8-22&keywords=crockpot

I have also seen them at Target.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yay teachers! Good luck with your first year! I always brings own lunch. I plan ahead when I shop for the week, just I have my own children do. I take open face sandwiches, salads with turkey meat, leftovers, and Greek yogurt with go lean cereal. I also make sure to have a few Amy's light and lean meals in the freezer, just in case. I agree with the person who said stay away from the faculty lounge - almost always really high calorie treats!! I also recommend drinking a lot of water! Feel free to friend me if you want a cheerleader and supporter for being healthy AND teaching!
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I usually do salad prep (chopping veggies or making tuna salad) on Sundays and then just put two handfuls of salad mix with a cup of my pre-cut veggies and lunch meat or tuna salad in a container the night before. Add a piece of fruit and lunch is made. I also keep almonds, and south beach diet protein snack bars in my closet, and cheese sticks and diet soda in the fridge at school. Sometimes I bring a banana or yogurt to eat as a snack.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^i teach preschool,i eat when my kids are eating.....I switch between low-cal ...low-carb tortilla wrap with a 80 cal tuna pouch, or nonfat Greek yogurt & fruit, then pack snacks in my car on the way to the gym....protein bars...Atkins or fiber one, & 100 cal almond packs....:drinker: :drinker: I keep a case of zero vita-water in my car too....
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I bought a mini fridge and a microwave and put it in my classroom. I also had a bullet there and a desk full of protein powder and all natty peanut butter. I also had a coffee maker, my kids new something was wrong if they didn't smell the strong aroma of coffee in the morning. If you eat what the school has to offer then prepare to gain weight. Your best bet is to steer clear of the break room and cafeteria.