Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I count on 50% of what MFP tells me. I have no idea why they don't fix this. It's insanely off base.

Read above - several found it right on, or they burned more. I've found it very close on several entries, compared to tested VO2max results formula.

Truly depends on what the activity is and your intensity doing it and matching the stated intensity level in the database.

While it's true the database in original format is based on METS and resting metabolism of person, and MFP converts to weight, the difference isn't that huge or 50 % off. The rest is other factors.

200 lb 20 yr old male 7% BF compared to 200 lb 60 yr old female 45% BF

But assuming it's 50% off for everyone is just as inaccurate.

And ya - MFP could fix it easily since they have your BMR to use with original database.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    deminimis wrote: »
    Hopefully this helps. I find MFP way overestimates cals burned on a elliptical vs. what the elliptical states. I'm inputting age, weight and use a HRM with the elliptical. I keep my heart rate at 120-150HR (with 120 reps minimum regardless of resistance/angle, except during warm up and cool down, and up to 160+rpm spurts of misery during the last minutes). I roll back the numbers a bit on the elliptical as well and come up with 100 cals/10 mins averaged over the length of the workout. I like easy math and it works out to less than MFP by a lot and a bit lower than what the elliptical shows. In other words, for me, 60 minutes equals 600 cals. If you're getting off the elliptical exhausted w/noodle legs, the 100cals/10min average is probably a safe ratio to use, and, perhaps, a bit conservative.

Except weight moved is a huge factor - really is impossible to compare or suggest calorie burns without weight being in the discussion, unless it's a rough figure per distance.
    And since so many variable settings distance being the same in pretty iffy.
    Like running per mile - though even that matters per weight too.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html

10 cal/min really isn't that intense anyway.

Looking at some gas-exchange measured calorie burns for various activities, especially running, might share some insight as to what the body can burn.

Absolutely agree with this. I think the idea of that post and my follow up was to get the OP a very general idea of calories burned on the elliptical as she wasn't sure if it was 450 or 900.