Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calories and Weight loss in different foods.

I have a question, lets say we have two people, call them A and B. They're both 20 year old males trying to lose weight.

Both have the exact same at height and weight. 6'4' and 300lb. Exact same sedentary lifestyle.

A eats 2000 calories a day worth of junk food and what's whatever he pleases.

B eats 2000 calories a day worth of healthy food, veggies, meat, fruit etc.

But they both get the necessary protein and vitamins needed.

From a purely weight loss stand point, do they lose the exact same on the same timeline?

Also a completely different question regarding sodium, besides retaining temporary water weight, from a weight loss stand point, how bad is too much of it?

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    For the purpose of weight gain/loss, a calorie is a calorie.
    Doesn't matter where it comes from.
    For nutrition, source matters a great deal.

About sodium, search engines are a good place to start.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/fda-recommended-sodium-intake-1873.html
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    BTW, it's going to be easy to eat 2000 cal of high-sugar, high-fat, non-nutritious food.
    2000 cal of healthy food, low or non processed is going to be a big pile, so you'll feel full sooner & longer.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    For a minor point of reference, a snickers bar is approximately 250 calories and weighs about 57 grams. For the same 250 calories, you could eat 500 grams of pineapple, which weighs about 8 times more than 1 snickers bar. 500 grams (~454 grams is a pound) of pineapple takes up a lot more room in your stomach, and eventually, your intestines, which can slow your appetite. It's definitely easier to feel full when eating mostly plants and fruit for the calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Could be a bit different if one is insulin resistant and one is insulin sensitive.

Long term, I know which body i'd bet on being healthy still/