Anyone into mountaineering?

Options
I'm a 20 year old female about to go into my final year of university and I'm considering joining the university's mountaineering club. I'm a complete beginner with no experience, so would love to hear from anyone who is into mountaineering (or used to be into it) about their experiences?

I loved climbing when I was a kid (trees, the occasional climbing wall), and I absolutely adore mountainous scenery, etc. and the idea of trekking in that sort of environment really appeals to me. Plus it would help me become more active and fit.

How long does it take to get to grips with the basics? Just how intense is it? Also, I'm a bit worried that equipment, etc. would be really expensive.

Would love to hear from you!

Replies

• andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want to do.

Maybe start with scrambling. To do a scramble all you need is hiking stuff plus a rock climbing helmet.

Consider rock climbing. Investment for indoor: harness + shoes + gym fees. Many universities have a climbing or bouldering wall in their athletic facilities.

For actual mountaineering...say day summits depending on the terrain you are going to need both a lot of equipment and knowledge/ experience. I started by climbing and scrambling. Then I took a summer mountaineering course over a week. It cost about 1-1.5K. I had to buy crampons, an ice ax, and a glacier rescue setup (a bunch of biners, cordalette and an ATC). Over time ive acquired ice screws, snow pickets, twin ropes, a dry single rope, and also sometimes take part of my trad climbing rack depending on the route.

Mountaineering is technical. You can expect to acquire and perfect your skills over many many years. My husband and I did a short day route this summer that involved hiking, glacier travel, scrambling, one short technical pitch that we short roped, and then rappeled on the descent.

It's not a sport you can just drop into or dabble in. Mistakes are frequently fatal even for day trips. If you want to do it get some proper training from certified mountain guides. Some of those university groups perpetuate poor skills and ignorance when people without the knowledge teach others.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    It depends what you want to do.

Maybe start with scrambling. To do a scramble all you need is hiking stuff plus a rock climbing helmet.

Consider rock climbing. Investment for indoor: harness + shoes + gym fees. Many universities have a climbing or bouldering wall in their athletic facilities.

For actual mountaineering...say day summits depending on the terrain you are going to need both a lot of equipment and knowledge/ experience. I started by climbing and scrambling. Then I took a summer mountaineering course over a week. It cost about 1-1.5K. I had to buy crampons, an ice ax, and a glacier rescue setup (a bunch of biners, cordalette and an ATC). Over time ive acquired ice screws, snow pickets, twin ropes, a dry single rope, and also sometimes take part of my trad climbing rack depending on the route.

Mountaineering is technical. You can expect to acquire and perfect your skills over many many years. My husband and I did a short day route this summer that involved hiking, glacier travel, scrambling, one short technical pitch that we short roped, and then rappeled on the descent.

It's not a sport you can just drop into or dabble in. Mistakes are frequently fatal even for day trips. If you want to do it get some proper training from certified mountain guides. Some of those university groups perpetuate poor skills and ignorance when people without the knowledge teach others.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm gunna do some more research and decide if it's something I really want to do. It seems like something you have to really commit to. And if I do it I'm going to make sure I get proper instruction. How long have you been into climbing/mountaineering for? What's your favourite thing about it?
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Oh MAN I really want to see the Everest movie!!!
  • andylllI
    Options
    I've been climbing for about 15 years now. My favourite thing is...it's quiet out there. You are faced with a lot of decisions but they are immediate. Life stress doesn't follow you. It's very very grounding and very relaxing even when it's a bit tense. I go primarily with my husband and it's great for our relationship - working together towards a common goal, communicating etc.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    Oh MAN I really want to see the Everest movie!!!

Hahaha I saw it recently... terrifying but also kinda inspiring. I highly recommend.
  • noobletmcnugget
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    I've been climbing for about 15 years now. My favourite thing is...it's quiet out there. You are faced with a lot of decisions but they are immediate. Life stress doesn't follow you. It's very very grounding and very relaxing even when it's a bit tense. I go primarily with my husband and it's great for our relationship - working together towards a common goal, communicating etc.

That's awesome - I imagine you're pretty good at it now :) What made you decide to start? Have you ever been seriously injured whilst doing it? Awh, that's so sweet... did you meet each other though climbing as well?
  • andylllI
    Options
    I'm still a relative newb wrt mountaineering. I started bc I like climbing stuff. We did meet climbing and I have been injured but never hospitalized or rescued.
  • andylllI
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have done some rescuing. I have also had three acquaintances die in the mountains (I wasn't on those trips)