Does this work and is it safe?

Options
I've heard of a dieting strategy that works by restricting intake to 1500 calories for 6 days of the week, and 700 calories for 1 day. (As opposed to eating 1385 calories every day of the week).
Supposedly, this one day of "fasting" keeps the metabolism in "premium fat-burning" mode, because the body doesn't grow accustomed to eating the same amount every day.

Is this theory totally crazy or is there some merit to the concept?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you have a weekly calorie deficit you'll lose weight. Yes, it's safe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal. Sounds good in theory and basically it may just keep people from overeating, but I haven't seen anything backing that eating fewer calories on one day will keep fat burning. Fat keeps burning when in calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I net under 1500 -( at times under 1000) through.the week, then have one weekend day where I may net 2000 or more. looking at weekly cals has allowed me to get past the "all
    or nothing" mentality. I guess this is similar to what you are.talking about.it works for me so far :-)
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I net under 1500 -( at times under 1000) through.the week, then have one weekend day where I may net 2000 or more. looking at weekly cals has allowed me to get past the "all
    or nothing" mentality. I guess this is similar to what you are.talking about.it works for me so far :-)

Me too! Some days I'll go crazy and other days I will eat like a rabbit, but I'm learning to just look at my weekly average to stay on tack. Its realy helped with the 'bad' days where I felt justified in spiralling into super-bad days because they were already ruined anyway. I think that all or nothing mentality is what made me rip out notebook pages as a kid, when I messed up writing so the fresh page could be pretty. Lol.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    One day fasting should not be a a problem... Safe? Probably (unless you have diabetes or other problem)... More effective than a similar deficit spread out over 7 days? Doubtful. However, it may be easier for you since you have marginally more calories for 6 days and only have to really drop it down one day (which is generally easier done if it is only one day per week)...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I look at my weekly average and don't worry too much about the day to day levels.

I know a lot of people do the 5:2 diet, but I would have difficulty eating as few as 700 calories for one day.

Safe? Not sure exactly what that means. One day eating at 700 calories isn't going to kill anyone. Happens all the time when people get sick and don't eat for a day or so.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    People do it but there is no evidence that it makes you lose weight quicker than a normal defiecit
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    People do it but there is no evidence that it makes you lose weight quicker than a normal defiecit

This. Do it if it makes you more comfortable, so you can eat a little more several days a week. It's safe and it won't hurt you. But there's a dearth of evidence on the metabolism part, or that it helps people lose weight faster.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Theres a whole range of Intermittent Fasting (IF) approaches - I use 5:2, and find that it works for me.

There is some science behind the approach, but not a great deal of actual evidence yet as to how effective it is. So - like most things - a bit of trial and error is required. If it works for you, then go for it. If you don't think 1 or 2 very low calorie days a week would be for you, then it's not compulsory. It's not a somehow magical solution.