Anytime Fitness cancelling

Options
A few months ago our longtime gym closed. So me and my husband decided to go to the Anytime Fitness down the road from our house. When my son started kindergarten his new school (he switched schools at the last min.) was right around the corner from a really big gym that has a daycare. So we decided to join the bigger gym at the end of our contract. (only a 3 month contract). Well we gave ample notice to Anytime told them why we were leaving. The day cam ewe both turned our keys. My husband checked his credit card statement and they charge us for another month. When he called Anytime to complain they said you have to call to cancel. Since when is calling to cancel better than doing it face to face. Anyway my husband ended up canceling our credit cards to make sure they couldn't charge us again.

I just wanted to tell this story to let anybody out there know to make sure when you leave any gym ask, to make sure. So you don't get charge you weren't expecting and might not be able to afford.

Replies

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Most gyms, or at least the chain ones, don't handle their own billing. A 3rd party company does that, so that's why you have to call them. I was a member of Anytime Fitness and cancelled at the beginning of the year. I called the company, they told me the date the last payment would get deducted from my account and the last day that I could use the gym. I said ok, and that was it. No problems or issues since.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    They could have let us know. They had plenty of opportunity to let us know to call. It wouldn't have been a problem. But since the owner, manage, and personal trainer all knew we were leaving and didn't say one word.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Every gym has it's own cancellation policies. The correct way to cancel is to follow the procedure that's noted on the contract you signed. Unfortunately, that isn't always going to be the same for every gym. And trust that I have much experience on this because I've worked at at least 15 different gyms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png