To all you low carb eaters

Options
i did the low carb thing years ago and had fantastic results. Needless to say started eating/ drinking again gained it all back plus some. A co worker of mine has started low carbing and now I think I may try it again but I was wondering if it is possible to do both low carb and low calorie at the same time?

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Be nice to yourself the first couple of weeks if you're going all the way into ketosis. Just go ahead and eat when you're hungry. Then, if low carb works for you, you should notice your appetite decreasing naturally so that you will be in a calorie deficit without having to struggle (or at least struggle so much). Because that is the point. You won't lose weight without being in a deficit. Low carb just makes it easier for some people to live in a calorie deficit.
  • alijoan11
    alijoan11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So, your calorie deficit should be the same as if you are ketogenic or not? I tried low carb before, and didn't lose a lot, but I think I was simply eating too much!
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I remember my appetite disappeared before I love that feeling! Right now I am struggling to stay under my goal eating an assortment of foods. I think I am going to give it a try my only problem is the veggies I eat a lot and I love them! Well I will make it work.
  • Azuriaz
    edited September 2015
    Options
    alijoan11 wrote: »
    So, your calorie deficit should be the same as if you are ketogenic or not? I tried low carb before, and didn't lose a lot, but I think I was simply eating too much!

The usual advice I've heard if you'd like to lose a little faster after the first few weeks of adjustment (and if your weight loss timeline is reasonable for your height and current weight) is to drop carbs even more, and/or increase fat intake and/or make sure your protein isn't too high and see if that causes you to naturally eat less.

That said, when I get into the lower range of my weight, I do sometimes have to step away from the table before I'm completely full. Those last ten or fifteen pounds are just awful no matter what.

There are some excellent low carb sub forums here if you want to check them out. I signed on to several by doing a Groups search, it lists them by number of members, so I just picked the top several and joined.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. Many low carbers find it easier to eat at a deficit when low carb because cravings may go, and the appetite may be suppressed.

I eat vLCHF ketogenic diet, and usually eat about 1500 calories. Some low carbers find that they need a slightly smaller deficit when eating low carb, which is a nice plus. Dive into a deficit whenever you are ready. If you do a deficit when going into ketosis it will help you become fat adapted faster.

Good luck.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    i did the low carb thing years ago and had fantastic results. Needless to say started eating/ drinking again gained it all back plus some. A co worker of mine has started low carbing and now I think I may try it again but I was wondering if it is possible to do both low carb and low calorie at the same time?

Why not? You know what foods have carbs, so minimize those foods, now weigh your food and log them so you are counting your calories and meeting your calorie goals to be in a deficit every day.
  • alijoan11
    Options
    Thanks so much, folks! I love the reduced cravings and appetite control on low-carb. Virtually ended any desires to binge, which is a problem for me with simple calorie restriction. I was just hesitant to try it again, because I really want to lose! I appreciate your help!
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been doing LCHF for a little over a week now, at first I seemed to have trouble getting my calories at/under goal but I did some research, increased my fat intake by adding real butter here and there and adding heavy cream to my coffee instead of half and half and I have noticed since Monday I am not as hungry and have been under my calorie goal. ANYONE interested in doing the LCHF WOE should do some research to fully understand what happens to your body when you are doing it, first so that you can make an informed decision on the WOE without necessarily simply getting a bunch of people's opinions but also so that you know what things to expect and how to over come them. Look up some of the groups, if you find a good group that truly encourages people without judging them you can get a lot of information. The group I am currently involved in have people on several different LC diets, some on Keto, some on Atkins, some in between, and some (like myself) who choose to eat a LCHF diet without following the specific guidelines of a specific diet.

Good luck!
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Yes. Many low carbers find it easier to eat at a deficit when low carb because cravings may go, and the appetite may be suppressed.

Good luck.

That^ I absolutely cannot restrict calories *unless* I restrict carbs as well. I get too hungry otherwise.

(But I am not doing super low-carb (ketosis-inducing) like you may be.)
  • alijoan11
    Options
    Oh, I have done tons of research in the past on low carb diets and its effects on the body! That is certainly sound advice. Thanks.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    So how many grams should I go for? I was watching the carbs a little then for some reason this week I went a bit crazy?
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    So how many grams should I go for? I was watching the carbs a little then for some reason this week I went a bit crazy?

That's a tricky question. If you're willing to put up with low carb flu for a week or two and want to go with the full shebang maybe head over to the Atkins website for all the thorough details you can want on Induction. I have to say, for me at least, going straight into ketosis is not fun from Days 4-6. Some people don't have as bad of a time, though.

And it has a payoff. I'm on Day 11 and I'm going to have to force myself to eat because my appetite is completely gone. I just can't bring myself to do it right now.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    I did Atkins so I know how that is. Ok going for it. Under 20grams it will be.
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    Nope eating like a regular person these days
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    I did Atkins so I know how that is. Ok going for it. Under 20grams it will be.

Just in case you forgot, be sure to get enough salt and drink enough water (or even broth) to stave off the worst of it!

• superhockeymom
    Options
    I remember I used to get terrible leg cramps so I will remember to do the salt and water
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I remember I used to get terrible leg cramps so I will remember to do the salt and water
    You also want to eat leafy greens... magnesium and potassium are key.

Out of curiosity, why low calorie? And how low are we talking? And do you exercise?

Another thing to consider long term is figuring out why you failed the first time and develop a strategy to not fall back into that way.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OP, low carb is easily compatible with a moderate deficit, but you should be eating enough that you are getting enough nutrition. I'd aim for a one pound a week loss.

And I agree that what your actual level of carbs should be based on your own personal level of satiety. If you have gone low carb before, you could use that as a starting point and then adjust as necessary.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • Azuriaz
    edited September 2015
    Options

Make sure to get enough potassium and if I remember right magnesium in there, too. Better yet, as I don't trust my memory, google up some leg cramp prevention tricks. I hate when I get those!