No kitchen- help!

Options
Hey all I'm trying to get my diet and everything back on track. I have no access to a kitchen I have a microwave and a small fridge, and access to a cafeteria. There is a very limited selection of veggies at the cafeteria, and the meal is usually a lot of carbs. Any no kitchen suggestions would really be appreciated!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Eat in a caloric deficit. Unless you have a medical condition, "a lot of carbs" in and of itself isn't necessarily an issue. Does the cafeteria offer salads?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a grocery store?

Most of my meals are made in a crockpot, if you can get one. Steaming veggies in the microwave and eating pre-cooked chicken (which I made in the crockpot overnight and then portioned out) or making stews and portioning them out to nuke later is probably what I'd do. I at a lot of cheese, olives and trail mix-type things, though, myself.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    College kitchen hack:
    980x.jpg

This tells me if you have at least a heating pad, you get all sorts of options. I think a small cutting board and knife will help too. Do you have a little freezer in your fridge? Put frozen veggies in there. Sturdy fruits and vegetables include apples, carrots, and cabbage.

When eating in the cafeteria, I suggest eating half the carbs and enjoy the meat for your protein.

Shelf stable staples include canned beans, chili, soups, ramen noodles, crackers, and nuts.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I was thinking you might be able to make a nice oatmeal with a coffee maker. It may take some trial and error to figure out the timing.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    908a1c07-c530-40c4-8648-4b7342a3c8bb.crop_1196x630_0,0.resize_1200x630.format_jpeg.inline_yes.jpg
  • walza1394
    walza1394 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat in a caloric deficit. Unless you have a medical condition, "a lot of carbs" in and of itself isn't necessarily an issue. Does the cafeteria offer salads?
    It does but no spinach it's mostly just lettuce and there are some tomatoes and it's random what veggies will be available
  • jgnatca
    Options
    If you are wanting the darker leafy vegetables you can buy spinach frozen and pressed. I think it would be good warmed up with a little feta cheese and a drizzle of olive-oil based dressing.
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Keep salad stuff in your fridge as well as fruit and frozen (or if you like to eat them raw veggies). Eat your protein in the caf and make sure you watch your portions!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs (they have them precooked in packages in supermarkets now) and grilled chicken (also prepackaged like Perdue short cuts, but higher in sodium, unfortunately).

I fixed up my kitchen last year and this is what I brought in for lunch and snacks every day. I would sometimes bring in the package salads too so that I had a type of cobb salad with whatever dressing I felt like for the day.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I ate out A LOT in college and I regret it. The freshman 15 is real! I'm glad that you are planning and trying to figure out how to make good choices. The crock pot idea is the best that I have heard. You can make a meal and portion it out for the next couple of days. All of your friends will be jealous.
  • walza1394
    walza1394 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas! These are great!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    908a1c07-c530-40c4-8648-4b7342a3c8bb.crop_1196x630_0,0.resize_1200x630.format_jpeg.inline_yes.jpg

SNORT!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    small crockpots are fab for soups.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I just got a combo rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker that is definitely awesome. It also has a delay start function and an auto keep warm function after it is done cooking. It is by Aroma and wasn't very much. Definitely compact enough for dorm cooking.

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Miso paste or a ramen packet and some fresh vegetable - thinly sliced radishes, green onions, mushrooms. A little drained tofu and cabbage. Easily done in a microwave!
    Rotisserie chicken - shred it and keep it in your fridge for salads.
    Get an "egg-wave" that lets you make eggs a few ways in your microwave.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about a single burner like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-1000W-Single-Burner-White/dp/B003WSOCFG

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're allowed a toaster oven, they're fantastic. You can make French bread pizza, pita pizzas with hummus and vegetables, avocado toast, grilled cheese.
    And baked (sweet or whit) potatoes in a microwave. There are so many ways you can top them. Black beans and salsa on top . . . Very filling.