Weight training with over 50 to lose?

Options
I've been doing really well losing by counting calories and doing cardio a few times a week. I love cardio (I know, weird!) so I don't plan on stopping it. I want to add some weight training to my routine and have Body Pump at home, as well as a gym membership. Since I have a good amount to lose (probably 50 more on top of the 10 I've lost), should I wait until I'm closer to my goal to add weight training in? I don't want it to slow my losses down.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Weight training will not slow down your loss. It will help you minimize muscle loss while losing fat. You may see some extra waterweight from muscle repair but it will go away quickly. It's never to early to start lifting.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Weight training won't slow weight loss. In fact, if you don't eat back the calories it will speed it up.

I started with 45lb to lose and I've lost 31lb all while doing StrongLifts 5x5. I'm stronger than when I started and I have less than 14lb to go. I'm actually slightly ahead of my theoretical weight loss schedule (i.e. If everything went perfectly according to plan I'd only have lost 28.75lb so far).
  • idlecrush
    idlecrush Posts: 22 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have about 80 to lose and I started weight training right off of the bat. I've lost 7 inches since I started on August 17 and I measure again next week. I haven't lost a single pound, but my clothes are falling off. I like inches coming off more than watching a stupid number on a scale.

I started with a trainer 3 days a week - upper body day, lower body day, and a HIIT/crosstrain/cardio day. I walk at least 1 hour 3 other days a week and I have 1 rest day.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Add weight training sooner than later, and you'll drop size faster, and look better as you lose.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    One should never wait to start strength training.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do weight work 3 times a week in conjunction with my regular cardio (an hour, 5 times a week). i dont eat back any strength training calories. you wont necessarily BUILD muscle, but you will help preserve the muscle mass you already have, so as you lose fat, you will have a better overall appearance.

Once I am closer to goal, I will work more intensively on recomp and building muscle.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Best time to start lifting was yesterday
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    Best time to start lifting was yesterday

+1

• beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the replies! I had a trainer tell me I probably wouldn't lose weight if I started a program she set up for me (which was all weights, no cardio) which I can appreciate the idea of not caring what the scale says, but I need to lose a good bit so I could not stay at my weight and be healthy, regardless.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes to all the above. I would suggest a beginner's full-body routine of compound lifts 2-3x per week. Don't roll your own, pick a program built by an experienced trainer. You may see a water weight bump for a couple of days after you lift. If this is going to effect you mentally, weigh yourself after 2 rest days.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Add weight training sooner than later, and you'll drop size faster, and look better as you lose.

This !!

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the replies! I had a trainer tell me I probably wouldn't lose weight if I started a program she set up for me (which was all weights, no cardio) which I can appreciate the idea of not caring what the scale says, but I need to lose a good bit so I could not stay at my weight and be healthy, regardless.

A calorie deficit will have you losing weight regardless of what exercise you're doing. Cardio burns more in the same amount of time but weight lifting improves body composition. Many of us here lost with lifting and little to no cardio. We just watched our calories.

I'm not suggesting that you only lift, just that if you add it in, you won't be sorry.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You might retain some water starting a new weight training routine, but you will still lose weight. Definitely start lifting now! I credit most of my best changes to strength training, not weight loss. By this I mean I am more comfortable (better posture), more confident, and sleep better.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep the nutrition in check, meaning are in a deficit, then you can still lose weight while lifting. Our bodies and the scale weight are affected by a number of things so the scale won't show a decrease every single week whether you lift, do cardio or them both. Exercise isn't needed but it is helpful for many other reasons when paired with the right calories for a given goal. Lifting will help with your body shape and preserving muscles.

I've lost about 70 lbs in a year. I started lifting 11 months ago. While the scale doesn't always decrease for a number of reasons, the overall results are there. Plus, I have many other goals and things to focus on besides the scale. Cardio helped me run a 5k in under 30 minutes. With lifting I can now squat over body weight and deadlift 200. Plus it's fun for me. Scale is part of it, but over time you can start to focus on the other aspects as well.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Definitely start sooner rather than later! You will lose weight because of your calorie deficit, you will get fitter because of your cardio and you will preserve muscle and find your figure looks better from strength training! It also helps you feel good about yourself as you can see progress in your strength. Go for it but follow a proper programme and ensure you have good form in your lifting. Good luck!