How to switch from a PM to an AM exerciser

Options
I was an afternoon exerciser before I graduated from college and now that I'm in the "real world" I'm finding I don't have the time to work out in the afternoon/evening like I used to. I'm trying to switch to the AM but 5am comes so early! Any helpful hints to nudge my butt out of bed? I've put on 10lbs trying to figure this out and I'd like to find a workeable routine.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eeeewww... 10 pounds added trying to get the a.m. shift of working out...

I work out every morning (actually my morning run) and it is just a mind shift I made when I made this an important priority in my life... Plus I am a slug all day unless I run.. So it will be different for everyone...

You have to actually do the 5:00 a.m. for sometime before it becomes a natural habit/part of your schedule/routine..
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Cliché, but "just do it". I get up at 1:45 a.m. every day to go to the gym before work. I work very long hours, have a 45 minute commute one way, and will be 64 next week. I KNOW, I would find excuses not to go after a long day at work. There is no other way for me.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    it hasn't been said yet so I will say it. Go to bed earlier. If I am staying up for the evening news, I have difficulty getting out of bed for a workout.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    For a lifetime I worked out pm and then switched about two years ago to am and now I can't imagine I used to do this any other time of the day. I love the am workout.
  • wendy16256
    wendy16256 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I promise you'll notice more energy if you do it in the am. I also can't imagine going back to working out in the pm. Get all of the things you need laid out the night before so that's one less excuse you have. I have a hard time making myself get out of bed but once I'm up I'm gold.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I just switched to early morning a week ago and I like it. I get up at 5am, throw on my workout clothes, grab my already packed up bag of work clothes and a small snack, and I'm at the gym at 5:45.

I'm making sure I'm asleep by 9:30-10, because not being exhausted waking up is key for me. I don't knowing you're going to a gym, but mine is much less crowded then which is nice. I do feel energized when i get to work, and it's awesome to have it done for the day.

Give it a try.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people sleeping in their gym clothes. One less excuse until you are used to the new routine. I set up classes that MADE me get up and was held accountable. Those were 530am so 600am is like sleeping in a little now that I have more flexibility. If you live alone set up multiple alarms across the room. Light rising alarms are pretty sweet. The darkness is hard to battle out of the sheets but if you have some blue-lights waking you up it may be easier.

You will need to send yourself to bed sooner though. With working out your body will need rest to repair and won't get you up to do tomorrows workout. Even tell yourself I want to get to the gym 7 days but I only need to workout for 7min. If you miss your mark maybe you got there 4 times and once you get there after 7min you may be awake long enough to keep going.

Most of all find something you enjoy doing and look forward to doing. I am constantly thinking about what we might be doing tomorrow at my Crossfit Box and said when I work Saturdays.

Buying new workout clothes can be motivating, too!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I wake at 345am, have coffee and a snack, and I am in my gym at 430am and I used to be a lifelong evening gym goer.

Tips?

Get up and do it -- its not rocket surgery.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Set your alarm on loud. Put it across the room. Have your workout clothes there where the alarm is so you have to MOVE them to turn off the alarm.

No excuse.

Helps me to have EVERYTHING ready to slide into and walk out the door so I'm at the gym faster in the morning.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Just get up and do it. I used to do my exercises during the day, which was zumba youtube videos... so I could stay inside, do them whenever. But I decided I wanted to begin c25k, but that's outside - I don't own a treadmill nor do I have a gym membership ... and there's been heatwaves coming and going. No way did I want to try to run during the hot day. So I just made the decision to put several alarms at 5:30 am and get out there and run. Do I want to stay in bed? Yes. Do I want to run? Not really, but I like the results I'm seeing. And mind you there have been days I decide for the bed...

But it all comes down to how badly do you want it and make a final decision and doing something about it. :smile:
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I was always an afternoon/night exerciser, but decided I wanted to switch to before work for various reasons. I now get up at 4am to workout, but in the beginning it was very hard (and still occasionally can be).

I will share what worked for me.

1.) Having everything set out and ready to go. No thinking required. My workout clothes and things are all laid out, my work clothes are all set, my lunch all packed, etc.

2.) Put your alarm out of reach. This way, you actually have to get up to shut it off.

2.) No shower the night before. I hate being dirty (it drives me nuts) and I cannot show up to work looking greasy. Thus, I have to get up early to shower anyway, so I mine as well get up that extra 30-60 minutes to workout and then shower. (This is really what convinced me some days when I wanted to roll over.)

I hope you find what works for you! <3
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i sleep in my clothes because i can't guarantee i'll get dressed right if I'm responsible for dressing myself at 4am.
    and i have a dog. she doesn't believe in sleeping in. unless my alarm doesn't go off on a weekday apparently *glares at dog*

i agree that going to bed earlier helps

and i like that my exercise for the day is usually done. and i've hit my steps goal.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    and i like that my exercise for the day is usually done. and i've hit my steps goal.

^^yeah, knowing you are done for the day, and anything extra is icing on the cake. Plus seeing the step count on my fit bit. No stress from thinking about having to work out after a long day. It's all good!
  • lmanasero
    lmanasero Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like reading everyone's post and everyone is right. Most people don't want to wake up and workout in the morning especially before 5am, most of us would rather get extra sleep so its definitely rough getting up so early. Putting all your stuff out the night before so you have less to deal with in the morning helps a lot. If you remind yourself how great you feel when you do get up and workout, it might help nudge you out of bed. The hardest part is literally leaving the bed, once you have removed yourself from the bed you are usually good to go. I think your whole day is better when you workout in the morning. You definitely need to go to bed early though especially once you start working out because you will need your rest. It really all comes down to the most simple thing and it is you just have to get up and do it. It is hard to get up early, but the reward is more than worth it.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early...bed by 8 pm and I am usually asleep with in a half and hour. I get up at 4:30 am, get dressed immediately, lace my shoes and drink a cup or two of coffee. Then out the door. I have everything ready before I turn in for the night. My clothes and shoes are ready to be put on. My coffee is ready to be brewed and my iPod is charged.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I make a pre-workout (a type energy drink powder you can get from supplement stores) at night and set it by my bed in a shaker. When my alarm goes off in the morning I drink it down and press snooze.. I start to feel it kick in and I'll have my gym clothes on before the snooze even goes off. Done it for years and went from a total night owl to a 6am riser hah
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Lay your workout clothes out the night before; go to bed a little earlier, maybe stop eating earlier also. Set the alarm but make sure it is loud enough and will make you get out of bed to turn it off. Best of luck.