Hurt Achilles Heel, Need Advice

Options
Hi MFP Community,

I hurt my achilles heel and I'm not really sure how to work out anymore. I used to run/go on the elliptical and do some weight training everyday but doing cardio now will only make my injury worse. Has anybody else been in this position? What workouts can I do 6 days a week?

Replies

• nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor, get an mri make sure its not torn.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    After I had ankle surgery, I would swim a lot and would even run in the pool. Also try looking up exercises that can be done in wheelchairs on youtube. There are some good ideas on there and you can just sit in a chair to go them.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor, get an mri make sure its not torn.

^ This. If it tears completely it acts like a rubber band and will take some really nasty surgery to fix. It's happened to a couple of friends and it's not something you want to go through.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I suffered a severe tear on my left achilles almost 1.5 years ago training for a marathon. Sorry, but you need to see a quality Dr. for evaluation. This injury can take up to and/or more than a year to heal. Surgery is entirely possible but not always. Best workouts are in the water. Use the resistance of the water and take up deep water running is my suggestion for cardio and to maintain your running. If you are not a good swimmer, there are special flotation devices you can use for assistance. IMO, yoga is the great balance for all workouts. The stretching will be good for your achilles however you really need to consult with a PT before doing any stretching. Good luck!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    See an Ortho, Swimming.....