Breakfast...to have or not to have?

Options
I noticed on a few diary's that breakfast is not always eaten. I have always been told not to skip meals and that breakfast is very important. What does everyone think on the subject of whether or not to eat breakfast?
Kathy :wink:

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    HAVE for sure! I think my dietitian would chew me out if I skipped breakfast. c:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical reasons for eating it or not eating it causes you to eat more later in the day, it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It isn't neccesary for weight loss but studies have shown that it does make you more alert and even in a better mood. Having said that, for many people eating in the morning makes them not feel good, so I say do what works for you.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether there are pancakes and bacon involved. I don't pass on pancakes and bacon but otherwise I usually just drink black coffee.
  • jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat breakfast because I end up starving by 10 and I mindlessly munch on crap. I found if I skip breakfast then I am fine until its lunch time. It been this way for 20 plus years. My coffee and creamer is all I do for breakfast.... Take that away from me and someone will lose an eye!! Lol
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, I like my fried eggs and coffee, its dinner I usually skip.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a quirky morning since I work nights, but I don't mind a light snack in the mornings (granola usually). Sometimes, though, I just don't feel like eating, and I don't want to force myself. I usually have coffee in my tummy, though, so I don't start my day on a totally empty stomach.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Personally I cant stand eating breakfast, but I went through a phase where i would eat something even though i didnt want tit because like you I was always told to eat breakfast no matter what, most important meal of the day, rubbish. Although it does have some benifits they dont outwiegh the pluses of eating later. Have it if you want to, but its not going to kill you if youdont!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    It depends on whether there are pancakes and bacon involved. I don't pass on pancakes and bacon but otherwise I usually just drink black coffee.

^^^This! Except I would just make bacon and coffee my whole breakfast.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it matters. I personally have breakfast most days, and feel like I need it. Sometimes on a Saturday if I get up and go to the gym and then have something planned for after and have to rush home, get ready, go out, I might skip breakfast for that day. It hasn't affected me at all, if I start to feel hungry, I eat something.

Some people do Intermittent Fasting and never have breakfast and manage quite well.

I think its a personal thing of how your body responds and what you prefer to do, how it fits your lifestyle etc.

Just do what works.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Actually, there's lots of evidence that shows you have better mental focus in a fasted state.

And eating awakens your appetite. It's easier to avoid cravings during a fast.

From an energy balance point of view there is no difference to the distribution of your daily cals between 1 big meal or 6 small ones. Do whatever fits your lifestyle and desires. The concept of breakfast "revving up your metabolism" is mistaken.
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always have breakfast. Right now I'm doing Greek yogurt fruit and pecans plus coffee of course. It seems to keep me satisfied till noon.
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, but I was like that before I started trying to get healthy. Even when I worked early morning shifts, my first meal of the day was around 11 or 12. I'm just not hungry before then. And now that I'm watching what I eat, I get a lot more satisfaction out of two good meals with room for snacks than I would from three fairly light ones.

Each to their own, though. Some people can't get started without their morning intake. My way isn't everyone's jam, but it works for me!
    628462 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I never want to eat breakfast. I'm never hungry in the morning. But now I am forcing myself. I figure a wise choice early may prevent an unwise choice later
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I get super angry and frustrated if I do not eat breakfast. I would much prefer to have a substantial breakfast (today is foul medammas, bread and coffee....YUM) and then skip lunch or just have a salad.

To each their own though, whatever works. I know some people just get more hungry if they eat too early, or even aren't hungry in the morning and don't like forcing themselves to eat when they aren't hungry.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of days where I don't eat until after 12p. I just can't.. my stomach turns at the thought of food.. I'll have some berries or eggs. Those are usually the only things I can really eat. I have been successful so far =)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and the activity of the day -- I usually have something early in the day... often maybe a protein/fiber bar though something more substantial usually makes it easier on me to control calories in the later morning hours before lunch... Food is fuel for activity so if you don't have a lot of activity in the morning and don't starve, I don't think it is that big a deal; however, if you are quite active in the morning, you should eat it. Today, I actually skipped lunch and did not have a lot for breakfast either... Had a protein bar before I worked out and had a really good workout. My PM meal was mostly boiled stuff and then I snacked into the evening. Worked out well. Again, it really depends on the person and their schedule. On an average day, I have SOME breakfast.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love my breakfast. The only days I do not eat is when I wake up too late.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different - living different lives with different bodies. Personally, I HAVE to have breakfast to function, to concentrate, for energy and consequentially I feel and get really sick if I don't have breakfast! With my work, I start work at approx 8am and don't get my next break until approx 11am-11:30am. But some people I know skip brekkie but that seems to work for them and their lifestyle and bodies. Do what is right for you & don't worry about what other people are doing :-)