Saw my medical records.

Options

Replies

• jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yup, just medical, not personal, because of your BMI and accompanying health issue. Hey, when I was pregnant at 36 my chart said "advanced maternal age." Ha! Medical terms don't sound nice but they're really nothing personal!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    Yup, just medical, not personal, because of your BMI and accompanying health issue. Hey, when I was pregnant at 36 my chart said "advanced maternal age." Ha! Medical terms don't sound nice but they're really nothing personal!

A co-worker of mine had "elderly multigravida" written on hers. She was 38.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Mine said,"Severely comminuted intra-articular right Colles fracture," but that was only because I destroyed my wrist in a motorcycle accident, so... oh, wait.
  • JeffArmstrong112
    JeffArmstrong112 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't be too offended, these terms are often used together by medical professionals.

http://www.atlanticare.org/index.php/understanding-obesity/what-is-morbid-obesity

However, given your height and weight you are probably better described as obese rather than morbidly obese. I am obese (meaning I am heavier than I should be). The key is really just eating healthy foods and getting a sensible amount of exercise.

Also, if you are serious about losing weight and you are committed, please first talk to your doctor. Healthy weight loss is actually a slow process, you do not want to lose 10 lbs in a week for example, that would not be healthy way to lose weight.

I shoot for 1 maybe 2 lbs / week as I lose weight for example.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Don't be too offended, these terms are often used together by medical professionals.

http://www.atlanticare.org/index.php/understanding-obesity/what-is-morbid-obesity

However, given your height and weight you are probably better described as obese rather than morbidly obese. I am obese (meaning I am heavier than I should be). The key is really just eating healthy foods and getting a sensible amount of exercise.

Also, if you are serious about losing weight and you are committed, please first talk to your doctor. Healthy weight loss is actually a slow process, you do not want to lose 10 lbs in a week for example, that would not be healthy way to lose weight.

I shoot for 1 maybe 2 lbs / week as I lose weight for example.

Actually the key is a calorie deficit, does not matter the types of food in regards to weightloss.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. At one point my weight dipped into the obese category (although, while I've always been chubby, I don't think you could tell I was obese...) and it sucks so bad. :s
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    You're nowhere near morbidly obese, and you're only a few points into the obese category. Your future doctor will surely disregard the "morbid" part.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Your doctor probably just hates overweight people

Yeah, no. Not at all.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Doctors should love us. We're cash cows!... so to speak.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So I had to switch primary care physicians because my doctor was moving out of state. I picked up a copy of my medical records....the first report said:

"29 year old morbidly obese female with complaints of chest pain......"

Well I never!!! Morbidly obese?!?!? Granted, I am 186lbs and 5'4....but I thought I wasn't that bad....I didn't feel like I looked morbidly obese...but hey....HERE I AM!!!!

words hurt lol....I'm having my second go around on MFP...hopefully this time around I'll stick to it, and get to my goal :) good luck everyone!

I have trained myself to not get upset by labels. However at 5'4" and 187 pounds, or I at 165 pounds at 4'11" we both carry too much weight around, no matter what anyone calls it.
    Good Luck to you !

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It's a medical term and describes your BMI. It's not a personal offence. As an example, a woman pregnant with her first child who is over 35 years old is termed 'elderly primigravida'. 35 years old is hardly elderly but that's the term anyway.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    Obese okay but morbidly obese I thought would be 220lbs+

No, that's not true. I am 4'11" and at 165 pounds am considered morbidly obese for my height. I don't care what anyone calls it, because I know that I am fat and have to lose 50 pounds to get into my normal mid-range.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am your height and weight and I am very happily out of the "morbidly" tag. Still obese. Own the obese.

The doctor was only partially right.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Doctors should love us. We're cash cows!... so to speak.

r407ieif6mb4.gif

I guess I should consider myself lucky. The terminology used by my GP is much more politically correct, but, instead of making me mad, it makes me laugh because it sounds so silly. On my reports, weighing 230 lbs. in 2014 and 202.5 lbs. when I saw him 5 months ago, it said: "patient is well-nourished." Ya think?!? :smiley:

I will be interested to see what description they use at my next appointment, as I left "obese" 9 pounds ago, and should be within 15 to 18 pounds of "normal" (if things keep going the way they have been) when I next see him. :)

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp with those telling you obese yes, morbidly no. It does matter what he calls it because it is a medical term and it's being used incorrectly. I don't take offense to it, but I agree it's an ugly word. :laugh: I started out actually morbidly obese and have dropped the morbidly part, so I guess that's progress. Next goal: overweight! Look at it this way, with a BMI of 31.9 you have only two points to go to downgrade your status. :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    words hurt lol....I'm having my second go around on MFP...hopefully this time around I'll stick to it, and get to my goal :) good luck everyone!

Yeah, that old saw about "sticks & stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me"? Doubtful, but the kernel of truth is that it's all about how you react to the words, or the situation that triggered them. And being overweight *can* hurt you.

You can lose weight if you commit to it.

I started out at 183 pounds in April 2015. I'm 5'5". That's "obese". I even briefly argued with a nurse practitioner who told me I didn't look obese. I told her to calculate my BMI; I knew it was technically obese. (I may be enough more muscular than average to make a difference, but I doubt it. I think it was just that as a very active person, my face & arms are not as doughy-looking as some of the people she was used to seeing at that same weight.)

I just hit 139 this morning, for the first time since the 1970s (I'm 59). That's a middle-of-the-range normal BMI. For my frame, I've probably got another 10-15 pounds until GW.

I'll get there. You can, too.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    hi135 wrote: »
    Obese okay but morbidly obese I thought would be 220lbs+

No, that's not true. I am 4'11" and at 165 pounds am considered morbidly obese for my height. I don't care what anyone calls it, because I know that I am fat and have to lose 50 pounds to get into my normal mid-range.

That is incorrect. I am that height and weight and not morbidly obese, it is obese class 1. Between 77.7kg and 88.8kg is class 2, and above that is class 3.

YOU might feel morbidly obese but I sure don't, I've had a BMI of 52, this puts us at a BMI of about 33.
  • jenniferb973
    jenniferb973 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hey guys thanks for the input....I wasn't truly hurt by it.... it was more of an inspiration if anything...I'm just such a word fluffer when I talk to people and make things sound nice lol....so I was like oh my!!! lol... For whatever reason, I was warned for this post...not sure why. I don't think it's offensive. I wanted to see if people could relate, or share what was their own inspiration to really do something...hopefully no one was offended. I saw the humor in it...as I joke with the dr. all the time...lol <3
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you are not 'morbidly' obese, you're only just into the obese category. Your doctore mis-classified you.